Is it possible to be a successful veterinarian with ADHD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EquusObsessed

C/O 2023
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find any previous topics specifically relating to this, but I wanted to know if anyone currently out there in clinics or beyond struggles with severe ADHD. I've been diagnosed since I was seven and was able to scrape by in undergrad and first year of vet school (I graduated undergrad with a near-4.0 and had almost straight-As first year, but I have no idea how I managed this as I don't think I ever really paid attention to anything), but I feel like my ADHD has gotten very suddenly, very dramatically worse in the last year and have no idea why. I struggle to remember simple facts and values (as in, if I run a PCV and don't write down the number I will forget it within about 5 seconds). I'm a current second year vet student who somehow is doing relatively well in my didactic classes despite never attending them and cramming for every exam about 48-72 hours beforehand. I am just increasingly worried about my ability to be an independent doctor one day, responsible for keeping patients alive, when I can't remember if I fed myself at any point in the last 48 hours.

I know people talk about imposter syndrome all the time, but I feel like it's not imposter syndrome when someone has to show me how to work the glucometer 6 times because I forget what they say 3 seconds after they say it. Online learning has been incredibly difficult for me because I learn best with hands-on learning (and learn very poorly from videos) but even that aside, I'm so chronically disorganized and scatter-brained I really don't feel like I'll ever be a competent veterinarian.

I'm starting to feel like vet school was a mistake, because while I love learning about medicine, and I thrive on the problem-solving aspect of veterinary medicine (I love working up cases), I feel like I just can't keep up with all the "stuff" and despite being interested in the material I can't even make myself read my notes anymore. I know many people struggle with depression and anxiety as well in vet school but I'm generally doing great otherwise (going running with my dog, talking to classmates, etc.) I just... can't study.

Is there a point where I should just... stop trying? Am I ever going to be a competent vet or am I going to be a vet who is so scatterbrained that they make constant medical mistakes and harm their patients?

Note- I am not currently on any medication, because for some reason despite having documentation of one diagnosis and a previous prescription from another, I've been to/contacted several doctors who either "don't think my ADHD is relevant to my problems" or "aren't taking on new patients." I'm currently going through official, very thorough "ADHD testing", but won't get "results" back for approximately 2-3 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So this is from one of my vet med besties. I knew she would be able to give you some guidance/act as a source of motivation. I know shes part of why I've been in vet school, so I asked if she had anything she could give you.

"Hi Friend: Im currently a fourth year student and i identify with so much of what you said. I struggle so much with short term memory and with the online work we have to do. I dont have all the answers and every ADHDer is different but heres some of the things i have found helpful in clinics (also full disclosure i also have dyslexia so some of this is related to that disability).
1) with regards to memory recall: when i run a test and get a number/ result i just write it down. i always carry a small scratch note pad with me in my scrubs/ white coat. if a DVM tells me something i apologize and tell them that i want to ensure i get everything right and ask them to repeat it while i write it down. most of my clinitions have been very understanding of this.
2) with regards to online work. I am right there with you on struggling with online work. i find focusing on screens incredibly difficult and it takes me three times as long to get through material as it used to. the only tip i have there is study groups (online or whatever you can make work) and engage with material in different ways (ie flashcards then review sheets ect). I can honestly say my study group saved my ass during 2nd and 3rd year and are a big part of helping me keep my chin up 4th year. Find a group of fellow students to support you and who you can support.
3) Honestly meds help me but at the end of the day it comes down to you keeping on top of yourself. Write EVERYTHING down, double triple check dosages and drugs and results. and do not be afraid to speak up about your disability. there's a reason its called a disability.
4) Do not give up. One of the most successful DVMs at my school also has ADHD. some of the best clinitions i know have ADHD. yes it makes our jobs as students so hard but it does not make being a DVM impossible.

Keep your chin up and your eyes on the prize. I hope that helps. if you have more questions or want to talk so a fellow ADHDer Bats can help you get in contact with me. "

Thank you for sharing that message, that really meant a lot to read. (Feel free to pass this on to your friend, and if you could put us in touch that would actually be great to be able to see if there are any study methods/organizational methods I haven't tried yet that might help.)

One of the things that's so frustrating is that I know I'm not dumb. If I were, I wouldn't be able to cram three months worth of material in 48 hours and still score well on exams. Yet if someone explains something to me (like how to run a particular test/machine or gives me a patient description or something) I just kind of go blank as soon as they finish talking even if I'm focusing on what they're saying as hard as I can and even repeating it back in my head. I can remember a study I read about treating enteroliths in horses with diet coke 12 years ago, but I can't remember simple details from 5 seconds ago. And I know I sound stupid when I speak sometimes, because I frequently forget words/information mid-sentence and then correct myself.

It's also very isolating. I struggle to convey why studying is so difficult for me to my classmates, and I've just stopped talking about how difficult classes are because I get some variation of "well just start studying earlier," which... I have tried and failed to do.

I originally wanted to do a sports med residency after graduation, but I don't think I'm cut out for studying for another, more difficult board exam while also doing case reports and research and practicing as a vet simultaneously. At this point I'd just be happy to be able to be a reasonably responsible vet at all

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a practicing equine vet and am ADHD. Part of the appeal of the career for me is how well it plays into how my brain works - and also why I specifically do large animal work in an ambulatory setting. During vet school and internship I carried pocket notebooks to write down vitals, drug dosages, etc. but now that I'm a couple years in practice I find that I can remember the details like that much more easily - it just fits into my brain as part of the case workup. I always, ALWAYS write my medical notes before I leave a call (even if it's just a few bullet points) so that I don't forget things later when I go to write my charts.

As far as learning/studying, I do feel for you - online school would have been an incredible struggle for me. I can't focus on a screen for any length of time (including TV, movies) and I need the environmental stimulation of a classroom. What really worked for me as far as studying is to remove myself from home and go to somewhere with background noise - coffee shops were my saving grace. Having background stimulation helps my brain stay focused on the task at hand. I'm not sure how that can be done these days, but just know that having ADHD does not mean you can't get through school and be successful.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a practicing equine vet and am ADHD. Part of the appeal of the career for me is how well it plays into how my brain works - and also why I specifically do large animal work in an ambulatory setting.

Thank you! This makes me feel quite a bit better, especially since I fully plan to go into equine practice. One of the things I’ve struggled with small animal med I think is the volume and pace- they (understandably) want you to see 15+ patients a day, which ends up meaning you only have 20 or so minutes with each patient. I *have* to take things slow and take my time and work methodically or I WILL forget something... and the fast pace and repetitive nature of small animal med stresses me out more than a complicated emergency case. (Also, I am about 100x more comfortable handling a skittish horse than an angry cat or a nervous large dog!)

Thank you for your encouragement and the tips about keeping notes on you. I’m struggling with online school but I’ll live, my grades are somehow doing fine- I’m just not sure I’ll remembered any of the material when someone hands me a cat in 2 years during clinics and tells me to work it up!