Is it possible to do a residency program with only consult services?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NWwildcat2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Previously, I have only been exposed to big hospitals with neurology wards and a dedicated neuro ICU. Then I went to the VA and realized the neurologists there only consult and and have no admitting service. It made me wonder what a neurology program would be like at a smaller academic hospital or a community place.

Is it possible to do residency without working on a dedicated neuro floor or in a neuro ICU? So basically, just working consults and outpatient clinic. Don't you need these experiences for potential fellowship options? How much medicine do you do on consults? Im having trouble imagining it because all of my neurology exposure has been where we admit to the neurology service and keep the patient on our floor while doing most of the day to day medical management.

If this is possible I feel like it should be avoided if Im looking to do something like NCC or vascular.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I personally think so. A lot will disagree though and I can see why as well.

IMHO though you get bogged down with too much social work and supportive care after initial diagnosis and management when you have a primary NEURO service. I think what would be ideal is just having stroke/neuro ICU service and then the rest be as a consult service.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not sure but I think the ACGME requires the program to have an inpatient neurology service. I definitely agree with having a primary stroke service/ ICU experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
The ACGME requirement state that you should have at least 6 months of inpatient neurology.

Just as a heads up, different residencies have different approaches. When I interviewed, some programs were very heavy on basically accepting anyone onto their service. Others had an almost exclusive consult model. You might consider Emory, who recently got rid of their primary inpatient service at one of the two major hospitals they service. They are purely a consult service there. At the other, they still have inpatients. I don't remember more details than that, but sounds closer to what you're looking for.