Is it possible to get scholarships in pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPharmN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a pharmacy student yet... looking forward to enroll in 2008. I know most professional schools students are not eligible for scholarships, but I'm still curious if there are any ANY scholarships or grants (free money that doesn't need to be paid back) out there? I noticed the NAVY and National Health Care Corps posts. So is there anything other than those two? I also heard about such thing as you promise to work for a pharmacy after you graduate, and get your tuition paid by them in return. Is anybody doing that? Actually, any thoughts on the scholarship topic helps. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a pharmacy student yet... looking forward to enroll in 2008. I know most professional schools students are not eligible for scholarships, but I'm still curious if there are any ANY scholarships or grants (free money that doesn't need to be paid back) out there? I noticed the NAVY and National Health Care Corps posts. So is there anything other than those two? I also heard about such thing as you promise to work for a pharmacy after you graduate, and get your tuition paid by them in return. Is anybody doing that? Actually, any thoughts on the scholarship topic helps. Thanks!

You should do more research. Many schools offer scholarships within their own school. You aren't going to get the Coca-Cola scholarship, or the one from the local VFW (those are designed for undergrads), but the school you get accepted to will probably have its own scholarships available.

Also, the large retail pharmacy chains offer some decent money, but it tends to come with a catch and you'll owe them time for their investment in you. You have to decide if that's worth it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also depends what school you go to. I get grants right now and after first year there are tons of scholarships for everyone.

Thanks for all the quick response.

How do we know which schools offer decent scholarships? By searching on their website?:rolleyes:

I would guess that most schools offer scholarships to some degree. I go to a public school and I know lots of students that got scholarships specifically from the school to help with their tuition the first year. After they first year they give scholarships for all sorts of different things... leadership, grades, need etc.

I wouldn't expect to pay for much of your tuition that way, but you may be able to find small amounts to help here and there. Federal loans are your friend. :)