Is it possible to have a good OB/GYN rotation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eilat87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for someone who doesn't want to do OBGYN?

Cause I have to say.. And I don't want to generalize here but man is my rotation malignant as hell.

Everything about it to me is malignant, the field itself... the people it attracts..

The residents seem to hate each other. Everybody talks **** about everyone else. Attendings included.

Everyone seems miserable. So they take it out on the weak ones.. i.e. the medical students.

And I've always wondered if they have some kind of inferiority complex to surgeons, hence, their need to overcompensate by being more intense and unbearable(annoying).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a good ob/gyn rotation experience. Because I had heard such horrible things about it beforehand, I faced every day with trepidation. As with surgery, a large part of it is self-teaching (read up on important stuff) + face time + showing interest + not getting in anyone's way. Do not heckle them when they are dealing with shoulder dystocia or emergency CS. Keep your mouth shut, assist when you can, and if you can't assist, just watch and continue to keep your mouth shut. For clinic, know how to take a good history, give a quick/pertinent presentation, and be efficient with time.

Mine wasn't terrible for me, personally. Residents were (generally) pretty nice to the med students, but catty to each other. Based off the horror stories I had heard walking into the rotation, it went significantly better than I thought it would have.

Mine wasn't terrible for me, personally. Residents were (generally) pretty nice to the med students, but catty to each other. Based off the horror stories I had heard walking into the rotation, it went significantly better than I thought it would have.

Pretty similar to my experience. I at least "enjoyed" it more than surgery.

But man, I could never do that.

Don't tell them what you want to do if it's not OB... I had a great rotation until I went from "I'm not sure" to "interventional radiology."

Don't tell them what you want to do if it's not OB... I had a great rotation until I went from "I'm not sure" to "interventional radiology."
Strangely enough, this is the only rotation where I wasn't asked by a bunch of residents/attendings.

And I don't care what people say or how much times have changed or not changed, I still think a male OB/GYN is weird as hell.

Something slightly perverse about it.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, this is the only rotation where I wasn't asked by a bunch of residents/attendings.

And I don't care what people say or how much times have changed or not changed, I still think a male OB/GYN is weird as hell.

Something slightly perverse about it.

The most miserable docs I have ever met are all male OB Gyn's.

I had great attendings and terrible residents on OB/Gyn. Most of the students got yelled at at least once a week for the incompetencies of the OB residents, and they by and large treated us like dirt.

They seemed the happiest to me, especially the residents. Actually, almost all of the residents were happy except 1 I dealt with.

I must have been lucky.
The two male OB residents I worked with were both extremely nice guys who were fun to work with. I liked some of the female OB residents, but two of them (including the chief) were fairly painful to work with. Overall, I liked most of OB/gyn, except the 9 hour endometriosis case...

The two male OB residents I worked with were awesome, but one of them was miserable at all the bitches in his residency. The other one was significanly older (he was apparently an ob/gyn in his home country prior to coming here) and was buddy-buddy with most of them, almost like a gay friend.

Had a great ob/gyn rotation myself during med school and internship year. Both were with very interesting male attendings and neither had residents. Can't beat that. But yeah... Ob/gyn residents are a bit... notorious.

Survivor DO

if it's any consolation, i do literally NOTHING on my ob rotation. the doc and NP i work for either forget to get me or don't want to get me to help. i've told them repeatedly that I'm interested in OB and i'm willing to learn/do anything they are willing to teach. at first i thought they may just not like me, but the student before me at this site said the same. ive got step 2 coming up, so i spent the first 2 weeks crushing obgyn review books and questions, and now onto other topics...

my day today ran as such:

0800 - arrive to office before providers. go to my "office," which is a storage closet, and drop off my stuff. have coffee with staff. return to closet and start reading.

0830 - providers arrive. i step out, say "hows it going, looking forward to today", they say, we will come get you once we talk to the patient and check if its ok. i return to my cubby and resume reading

1200 - lunch time, eat with staff, return to cubby and read. maybe get bored and play ruzzle

0300 - observe circumcision, told to go back in the cubby and wait for the docs

0400 - double check a blood pressure the nurses f'd up

0500 - go home, hit gym, cry that i have to be so bored, repeat next day

literally all i did today was read, watch a baby get tortured, and check a blood pressure...

i've asked repeatedly to be switched, but they don't have a lot of ob faculty volunteers...so out of luck. sucks because i was interested in the field, and now i'm contemplating having to take a transitional year to get a real ob rotation and suss out what i really want to do...

if it's any consolation, i do literally NOTHING on my ob rotation. the doc and NP i work for either forget to get me or don't want to get me to help. i've told them repeatedly that I'm interested in OB and i'm willing to learn/do anything they are willing to teach. at first i thought they may just not like me, but the student before me at this site said the same. ive got step 2 coming up, so i spent the first 2 weeks crushing obgyn review books and questions, and now onto other topics...

my day today ran as such:

0800 - arrive to office before providers. go to my "office," which is a storage closet, and drop off my stuff. have coffee with staff. return to closet and start reading.

0830 - providers arrive. i step out, say "hows it going, looking forward to today", they say, we will come get you once we talk to the patient and check if its ok. i return to my cubby and resume reading

1200 - lunch time, eat with staff, return to cubby and read. maybe get bored and play ruzzle

0300 - observe circumcision, told to go back in the cubby and wait for the docs

0400 - double check a blood pressure the nurses f'd up

0500 - go home, hit gym, cry that i have to be so bored, repeat next day

literally all i did today was read, watch a baby get tortured, and check a blood pressure...

i've asked repeatedly to be switched, but they don't have a lot of ob faculty volunteers...so out of luck. sucks because i was interested in the field, and now i'm contemplating having to take a transitional year to get a real ob rotation and suss out what i really want to do...

What about using your electives for an OB away rotation?

Problem is I'm on a military scholarship and I only get two always. The way it goes with my schedule, I have my aways and then a month of family medicine rural, and then military match... I scheduled both my aways in peds, which is what I thought I wanted to do. I've been told that its to late to change my aways...and if it wasn't, I don't want to burn bridges in peds, since I feel like I can't be 100% certain on ob.

At least you have a storage closet.