Is it possible to make over $200K in FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In my area it's the dumb doctor housewives who are behind this.

Sally is married to Dale, an internist. Their family friend Bob, a surgeon, bought a golf course house worth 1.5 million and his wife, Alexis, just has to bring it up everytime she meets Sally at their monthly kitty party/girl's club/stupid crap that housewives who have nothing better to do...

Sally now looks at the house that Dale and her live in... a great home they purchased with 4,000 square feet that is paid off... and begins picking at things that she feels she needs... and letting her insecurity get to her... talks to Dale about moving... and Dale being a "loving" husband.. does what he is talked into.

Dale and Sally now begin looking at homes so that Sally can go ahead and counter Alexis' brags with her own "Oh well Dale and I also just moved into a home.. yeahh... we only paid somewhere north of 1.6 million... " and yadda yadda yadda...

Poor Dale is now kicking his own butt picking up extra call to afford the mortgage his dumb wife talked him into.

Bottom line is that when you try to compete with people for stupid crap that doesn't mean jack... you will lose.

I'd rather live in a 3500 sq. foot home in a good school district and have time to golf on the weekends rather than live in some stupid mansion I have to work to keep lol

Suckers.

I couldn’t agree more.

When we were looking for a house we decided to get a mortgage that wasn’t more than 25% of the monthly salary of either one of us. Our rationale was that we should go for something that we could pay off easily even if one of us gets sick or, God forbid, dies.

I’m happy with our choice. It’s still a comfortable house and we are not worrying about making ends meet.

Currently, we are holding off on improving our backyard or basement. Instead, we are focused on paying off our mortgage within the next three to five years.

What we have been doing is making large payments on it once a year.

On another note, best investment I ever made? A $300 pool table. I have saved so much and made the wife happy by staying at home (I love playing pool).

Worst investment? My car. I want to get rid of it. In my view, it’s not worth it to pay $700/month for a car that is parked outside of the office or house most of the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
PlutoBoy you will go far in life. Not only due to financial freedom but because you have your priorities straight.

Reactions: 1 user
In my area it's the dumb doctor housewives who are behind this.

Sally is married to Dale, an internist. Their family friend Bob, a surgeon, bought a golf course house worth 1.5 million and his wife, Alexis, just has to bring it up everytime she meets Sally at their monthly kitty party/girl's club/stupid crap that housewives who have nothing better to do...

Sally now looks at the house that Dale and her live in... a great home they purchased with 4,000 square feet that is paid off... and begins picking at things that she feels she needs... and letting her insecurity get to her... talks to Dale about moving... and Dale being a "loving" husband.. does what he is talked into.

Dale and Sally now begin looking at homes so that Sally can go ahead and counter Alexis' brags with her own "Oh well Dale and I also just moved into a home.. yeahh... we only paid somewhere north of 1.6 million... " and yadda yadda yadda...

Poor Dale is now kicking his own butt picking up extra call to afford the mortgage his dumb wife talked him into.

Bottom line is that when you try to compete with people for stupid crap that doesn't mean jack... you will lose.

I'd rather live in a 3500 sq. foot home in a good school district and have time to golf on the weekends rather than live in some stupid mansion I have to work to keep lol

Suckers.

You and your spouse should try and learn to be prideful of living on less. Living on more is not "better" and once you realize this there is nothing to be jealous of. Embrace your 3000 sqft house. These people need a better insight into what is really important, that simple.

Members don't see this ad :)
/

Last edited:
That's IF I get married.

And if I do. She has to make as much if not more than me.

So as a future primary care doc...? That shouldn't be too hard to find lolol

I don't want no damn stay at home woman who's gonna live off of me. No sir.

I want a woman who is powerful, independent, sassy, and just goddamn brilliant in her work.

Someone who doesn't necessarily NEED me... but actually wants to be with a shmuck like me.

She doesn't have to be a size zero with a body like a coke bottle. I can buy her all the stupid fake boobs and butt implants if she desires.... but the woman I want won't even think about that dumb crap.

But mindset.... that's what I want baby!

Smarts and brains are frickin' sexy. IDC who knows it.

So hey...

If one of you ladies on here fits the bill... slide in ya boy's DMs and let's get this poppin'.

Backrubs, foot massages, and cooked dinner ATLEAST 3-4 times a week ON ME.

Oh.. and I'll treat your somatic dysfunction... FOR FREE bae.

;)
Okay, cool. :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
sometimes I feel doctors in general are suckered into a much more expensive lifestyle than what they need
this is nice for a few years but later on becomes more of a burden than anything else
being rich is having the ability to choose what you want in life and how much you want to work, even if you make 350k but constantly have to work to support a certain lifestyle thats a miserable existence IMHO
I get some exepnses are unavoidable but a lot of them are not and they pile up when we are trying to keep up with the jones

That's right. The older you get the less you want to work. If your lifestyle is expensive you will have to work longer and save longer to get there. Even if you make a million a year. But if you save a crap load of that million then you will reach financial independence sooner. That's my problems with FM. They don't get paid enough. Those student loans aren't less because you are going to be a Family physician vs. an ortho.surgeon. AND, 3 more years of residency does not justify that and FM with 3 less years makes that much less. I don't think the ortho should make less, I think the FM should make more.

@Ericslv

FM is a lifestyle specialty, IMO. If a FM doc wants to make more $$$, he/she can work ~60 hr/wk and make 300k+/yr.

Last edited:
@Ericslv

FM is a lifestyle specialty, IMO. If a FM doc wants to make more $$$, he/she can work ~60 hr/wk and make 300k+/yr.

That's true. In FM you can work 2-3 days a week if you want and play the rest of the time. The key is to be debt free and have saved enough to be able to let your investments grow. That's where the 300K+ can help even it's for just a few years. The problem is the gap is too big. Lifestyle or not. I would argue that losing out on 2-400 k per year is a very big price to pay for lifestyle if you have a 250000 dollar medial school debt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I guess I’m getting paid well. I went to upgrade my checking account today and the one teller “made” me set up a meeting with an advisor at the bank because I “have too much money in my checking account.” Never thought I’d hear that. I blame it on my paranoia moving into a 170 year old home. I feel I need liquid assets around at all times because the **** is always just hovering under the fan.

Reactions: 4 users
I guess I’m getting paid well. I went to upgrade my checking account today and the one teller “made” me set up a meeting with an advisor at the bank because I “have too much money in my checking account.” Never thought I’d hear that. I blame it on my paranoia moving into a 170 year old home. I feel I need liquid assets around at all times because the **** is always just hovering under the fan.

Just promise yourself you won't use that advisor from the bank. They would love take some of that "too much money" off your hands.

@Ericslv

The catch seems that you have to give up favorable locations for this though. What's the biggest city or metro size that can give that type of pay for hour/wk?

Members don't see this ad :)
The catch seems that you have to give up favorable locations for this though. What's the biggest city or metro size that can give that type of pay for hour/wk?

Not really. I’m not in the boonies. If I worked 60 hours/week, I’d probably make nearly half a mil. It’s not worth it, though.

It might be any big city that is not in the Northeast...

Not really. I’m not in the boonies. If I worked 60 hours/week, I’d probably make nearly half a mil. It’s not worth it, though.
It might be any big city that is not in the Northeast...

Bingo. Pay might be an issue in NYC, Boston, or SF but there are lots of nice cities besides those. With 30 seconds of searching, I found a job outside Atlanta (Marietta if I'm reading the clues right) starting 225k. Jacksonville starting 200k. Richmond 215k. Denver 200k.

You get the idea.

Whats' the catch to this though?

I work 60 hrs/wk in a UC for $110, gross if I work 20 days a month, is only 316k. This is midwest.

Based on MGMA, that's 75%tile from 2016 too.

I work 60 hrs/wk in a UC for $110, gross if I work 20 days a month, is only 316k. This is midwest.

No catch. I work in an “eat what you kill” model.

If you're hourly at urgent care, you're getting ripped off.

3 weeks ago I did an UC shift. 12 hours, 78 patients.

I am paid $100/hour. So I grossed $1200. Had I been paid on RVUs (let's assume the standard $40/wRVU) and let's assume that each patient was only worth 1 wRVU (the average that day was actually 1.4/wRVU), I'd have grossed $3120.

Heck even at $30/wRVU I'd have still grossed $2340.

You and your spouse should try and learn to be prideful of living on less. Living on more is not "better" and once you realize this there is nothing to be jealous of. Embrace your 3000 sqft house. These people need a better insight into what is really important, that simple.

Why would anyone want a house that big, or bigger? Somebody has to clean that thing, or you have to shell out more money to hire a cleaning service.

I am paid $100/hour. So I grossed $1200. Had I been paid on RVUs (let's assume the standard $40/wRVU) and let's assume that each patient was only worth 1 wRVU (the average that day was actually 1.4/wRVU), I'd have grossed $3120.

Did you only say 'hi and bye' to them?

Why would anyone want a house that big, or bigger? Somebody has to clean that thing, or you have to shell out more money to hire a cleaning service.

not necessarily. Still, it would be nice to have the option of having a house like that

not necessarily. Still, it would be nice to have the option of having a house like that

I'm not disagreeing that the OPTION to afford a large, nice house would be great...I'm just saying, as someone who owns a 2800+ sq ft house now, that the constant cleaning, maintenance and upkeep has made me seriously consider downsizing in the future, especially once all the kids are out of the nest.

You were at an exceptionally busy clinic it seems like, I think the break even point for 50-75%tile is at 23 patients in 12 hours.

Winter time/flu season was about 35 patients per physician (we have 2-3 in each clinic), so gross volume is about 110+.

I wouldn't work where you worked for very long. That's not even locums worthy.

You were at an exceptionally busy clinic it seems like, I think the break even point for 50-75%tile is at 23 patients in 12 hours.

Winter time/flu season was about 35 patients per physician (we have 2-3 in each clinic), so gross volume is about 110+.

I wouldn't work where you worked for very long. That's not even locums worthy.
My situation is very unusual, but yes it was a very short-term thing. 5 shifts in 2 months.

Do you ever have times when there are not enough patients on your schedule?

Occasionally (it seems to have something to do with taking time off 6-12 mo. before). I’m pretty much as busy as I want to be.

Hi you are pregnant ...SOL

you-got-hacked-bro.jpg