Is it possible to match a competitive specialty without extracurriculars to beef up the CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fancypantsdance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two kids and all my extra time goes towards raising them, i havent been able to do volunteering, research, etc. i have managed to maintain good grades, however. And im sure i will land a decent board score. Will that Be enough for competitive specialties?

Im not necessarily talking about super competitive fields like ortho, but am curious about the possibility for everything.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your definition of competitive?

Reactions: 1 users
Also, are you assuming you won't have time on rotations to do things like research?

I know a lot of people that didn't do much in basic sciences, but hussled in 3rd year with networking and research. Its possible, but I imagine harder to do than people who knew what they wanted early and have a ton of ophtho, ENT or ortho research.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your definition of competitive?

I want to get a sense for what is within reach and what the limitations will be without extracurriculars. Everyone can use their own definition.

If people need specifics though...Are these within reach with no extracurriculars?

IM fellowships?
surgery?
surgical sub-specialties?
EM?
Hospitalist?

Also, are you assuming you won't have time on rotations to do things like research?

I know a lot of people that didn't do much in basic sciences, but hussled in 3rd year with networking and research. Its possible, but I imagine harder to do than people who knew what they wanted early and have a ton of ophtho, ENT or ortho research.

I have considered that, but is desired research a sure thing during rotations? Or does it depends on where you end up rotating and who happens to be doing what research at that institution? I would love to do research if I can find the opportunity, I'm just bracing myself for the possibility I won't be able to find someone willing to take me on.

I want to get a sense for what is within reach and what the limitations will be without extracurriculars. Everyone can use their own definition.

If people need specifics though...Are these within reach with no extracurriculars?

IM fellowships?
surgery?
EM?
Hospitalist?

EM is board scores, grades and doing away rotations and I believe AOA residencies value that heavily. On the ACGME side, I spoke to a PD in my local area and he said that said it helps doing aways there as well and that while research is a plus, it is no way a requirement.
Surgery is tough, but if you honor Surgery your third year, get a good board score and letters and apply broadly, I think you'll be ok.
IM fellowships are tough because you want to set yourself up for going to a good IM program and research definitely helps here.
Surgical Subspecialties (Assuming you mean after GS) aren't too bad to get and is more dependant on your time in residency. If you meant uro, neurosurg, ortho and such then yeah, you're going to need a great CV with the whole shebang.

This is just from outside feedback and what I read on SDN, I could be wrong but this is the general consensus.

IM fellowships?
surgery?
EM?
Hospitalist?

Fellowships after IM residency would depend on the quality of the IM residency. Getting into a good IM residency without lots of extracurriculars isn't impossible, but you may not be in the Bostons, NYCs, etc. for location.

General surgery isn't very competitive so that's possible. The surgical subspecialties are another story.

EM is getting more competitive but is entirely possible.

Hospitalists are just peeps with IM credentials.