Is it possible to switch med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 1st year in an East coast DO school and want to move closer to home at a school where I interviewed twice and was wait listed twice(ATSU-SOMA). Me and my GF are struggling right now and the long distance is incredibly hard on us. If it matters; I'm in the top 10% of the class and doing well in everything, but the location is not working out for us. Is it possible, especially since i interviewed twice and was at least looked at somewhat highly.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd email the school...because the schools tend to have exact numbers of seats available and there may not be room. I've heard of a case-by-case basis but not very often at all

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently a 1st year in an East coast DO school and want to move closer to home at a school where I interviewed twice and was wait listed twice(ATSU-SOMA). Me and my GF are struggling right now and the long distance is incredibly hard on us. If it matters; I'm in the top 10% of the class and doing well in everything, but the location is not working out for us. Is it possible, especially since i interviewed twice and was at least looked at somewhat highly.

It's vary rare and you need a very good reason and I don't think "girlfriend" would be good enough. Almost all switching is done after second year and you've taken boards. I imagine SOMA would be an even harder school to switch into due to their weird 3 year CHC/curriculum after the first year, if they even accept transfers at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually it’s after step 1 if at all. My question is could you and your gf make it that long. 80% of relationships going into medical school fail, mine did, because it’s a long lonely road. Whatever happens best of luck to you

Reactions: 2 users
It's easier to just get a new girlfriend.

If she's not willing to move, why are you willing to move?

Reactions: 8 users
Super duper rare. Having differing curricula is what makes this do hard. Transferring theoretically seems to be a tad more possible after OMSII.

I've only heard of this happening in really extreme circumstances, like the illness or death of an immediate family member.

I feel for you because homesicknesses and long distance relationships both suck, but you're not going to get a transfer approved for them, especially because as @Goro said, the differences between curricula make it almost impossible to make sure you'd still learn everything you need two know in your preclinical years. This is likely even more true with ATSU-SOMA, since their curriculum is pretty unique as @Rekt mentioned; plus, their clinical sites' system might mean even if you did land a spot there second year, it might not be any more convenient to your girlfriend than where you are now.

Not part of administration, but a current fourth year at SOMA. I am not aware of any transfers at all that have occurred while I have been a student here. Also, if for some reason you were able to transfer, you would probably be stuck with whichever CHC was open last. The last CHCs to be open are pretty consistently South Carolina, Ohio, and Washington DC, which would definitely not bode well for your future love life anyways. Highly recommend roughing it on the east coast and dealing with it with your gf. One of my classmate’s wives did not move with him at all, either to Arizona or our CHC. Their relationship, although I’m sure it has been somewhat strained, has been extremely strong and is a great example of how commitment, if true, requires understanding and knowledge that someday it will get better. Best of luck to you.

Damn... I sent them an email, but might have to rough it out... relathionships and med school dont mix well.

Damn... I sent them an email, but might have to rough it out... relathionships and med school dont mix well.

It'll take a lot of work, but the relationship can work out. I've been with my guy for 9 years and I've been long distance for the last 3 due to med school.

I think it really helps to have a plan worked out, or at least an open an Frank conversation about what either partner wants in the worst situation vs the best. Like for school, they might not move to you but what about during residency? Thoughts on kids? It helps to have the deep conversations now in case the answers don't match up. I was fortunate with my guy because he was fine with everything and our wants for the future matched well.

It’s possible, we had about 2-4 transfers into my school during our transition to 3rd year clinicals. Not sure how they did it, but they did

Not only the other school will accept you, you also have to leave in a good standing with your school and it will have to be signed by your dean. Your reasons better be d@mn good if you want your current dean to help you out. Frankly, you are better off telling your gf to move to where you live or cut off the string. Why? If she moves, it shows that she is willing to make major commitment to make your relationship work, especially with the circumstances that you are currently dealing with. If she doesn't, she isn't worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
Contrary to the above opinions, I think being near your girlfriend is exceedingly important for your ability to thrive in school, both in the classroom and in regards to your mental health. As someone going through what I'll politely call a troubled time in a relationship, nothing can sink you faster than the lack of focus that comes with relationship issues. If she can't move, and you think she's the one, I'd do everything I could to try to see if accommodations could be made. Becoming a physician is important, but so is having a stable state of mental health and not hating every moment you're there because of heartache. Just my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
We actually just had one of my classmates get accepted for a transfer to another school on the basis of family need. Because you and your girlfriend aren’t married, it is very difficult to justify a transfer agreement between the two Deans. If you were married and the distance was causing you to have a divorce and you had a child for example, the Deans could more easily come to an agreement that it is necessary on those grounds.

I was in a similar situation. It was for health issues. I love my school but I needed to be closer to a more acute care setting. Lets just say, a lot depends on the other school and its mostly done after you take your boards. In the end I decided not to transfer. I was able to manage my health where I am at. My school made all the calls and all too. But Im glad I didnt frankly. That said, its very very very hard esp with the reasons you said. A lot of people have issues in med school with relationships. Heck my fiance and I split. Either toughen it out or part ways sadly.

Contrary to the above opinions, I think being near your girlfriend is exceedingly important for your ability to thrive in school, both in the classroom and in regards to your mental health. As someone going through what I'll politely call a troubled time in a relationship, nothing can sink you faster than the lack of focus that comes with relationship issues. If she can't move, and you think she's the one, I'd do everything I could to try to see if accommodations could be made. Becoming a physician is important, but so is having a stable state of mental health and not hating every moment you're there because of heartache. Just my opinion

I'd look into it just, but I also would be careful not to do anything drastic that could damage your career. If she can't (or won't) move with you, and you two can't (or won't) make it work, then it likely is better to just let things go. Both of you kind of knew the score when you applied, got into, and subsequently went to a school that was far away. If you two didn't, that's unfortunate, but it happens.

I will say that residency is far worse than medical school, and you usually have less control over where you end up, depending on the specialty. If the relationship can't survive the distance, than maybe its best things end earlier rather than later.

We actually just had one of my classmates get accepted for a transfer to another school on the basis of family need. Because you and your girlfriend aren’t married, it is very difficult to justify a transfer agreement between the two Deans. If you were married and the distance was causing you to have a divorce and you had a child for example, the Deans could more easily come to an agreement that it is necessary on those grounds.

To be clear, this isn't advice for OP to marry his girlfriend in order to justify a transfer.

it is possible to move from one do to another do. 3 of the other do students moved to my school (1st year to 2nd year transfer)

This is why people talk **** about millennials. Stop making us look bad.
What? lol...

Again.....why doesn’t she move

she has a great job in structural engineering and the school I'm at is somewhat rural so she wont have any work. It sucks. We talked about it.

What? lol...

she has a great job in structural engineering and the school I'm at is somewhat rural so she wont have any work. It sucks. We talked about it.
Your girlfriend, not even your wife, won't move for something you knew was going to happen before committing. You chose this. Why would a school pick you up on a transfer for this? It really just makes you look bad.

I do have to say I'm sorry that you feel your relationship is suffering.

What? lol...

Engineers can work from home....does she want to be with you or have that job?

This thread is hard not to laugh at. OP I honestly thought you were trolling. Tell your GF to quit and move with you and look for another job, or tell her you can't promise that you won't find someone more understanding and committed at school. Put your foot down. If she doesn't budge and chooses her job over you, it's clear what you should do.

Last edited:
This thread is hard not to laugh at. OP I honestly thought you were trolling. Tell your GF to quit and move with you and look for another job, or tell her you can't promise that you won't find someone more understanding and committed at school. Put your foot down. If she doesn't budge and chooses her job over you, it's clear what you should do.

Oxytocin, dopamine and vasopresins are powerful hormones... I wish I could just put my foot down and focus on my career, but life is not black and white.

Oxytocin, dopamine and vasopresins are powerful hormones... I wish I could just put my foot down and focus on my career, but life is not black and white.

Also, that's not really great advice. If she's got a good paying job and you're basically asking her to drop everything in her life, move with you to a place where she likely will struggle to find a job, and as a result will be without work for at least a year significantly damaging her career, before moving again to whatever clinical sites you go to in third year, and then moving again when you end up God knows where for residency. If you guys were married and you came to the decision mutually without some ridiculous ultimatum, that would be one thing.

Honestly, my advice is to try your best to work things out. If they don't work out, just let it go. If she can't understand that you basically have no choice in this and at the same time she's not willing to make a similar sacrifice, then maybe this wasn't meant to be.

Im also going to add that, and I hate to go on a soap note here, but at times of challenges like this, the best of relationships are tested. If you can make it through then yes, they are the ones to keep around, if not, then there you go.

I will give you a personal example. My ex fiance, was all happy go lucky when I got into med school. Its was awesome, white coat ceremony and all. I got sick, so sick that I required surgery. Before my surgery, she had gone vacationing and I asked her to call me as I was down, her response "No I cant call you, not even for 5 min, you have too many issues, first medical school and now health issues". She told me this when I had to take a medical leave, and needed surgery about 3 weeks prior to. My point is, when you go through life changing things such as medical school, whoever sticks by you is worth to keep around. In return you have to promise her youll be there for her as well.

But for most medical students, its us who will need the sacrificing first. Just my 2 cents.

I get it you obviously love her, and want to be with her. Its not fair to her she has to move everything for you, and its not fair to you, you have to switch schools. This is where the "testing" part is and will likely define your relationship.

Honestly though, this situation sounds like it is harder on you than it is on her. Tests like this make it clear what's important in peoples' lives.

Why do people transfer during third year? You can rotate wherever you want if you set it up. 4th year is even easier.

Dump her before she dumps you dude.

She's deadweight at this point homie.

Her and this relationship is only gonna hold you back.

Plenty of nurses, PAs, and other med students during rotations you can take ur pick of (if they ain't rocking no rang on that left rang fanga' doe ya feel me????)

As a matter of fact... join the single life and rejoice in success brothaman.

I've been having amazing fivesomes everynight.

I go town on my main chick FIRST AID.... accompany that with a second round of PATHOMA... follow it up with them QBANKS.... and then finish off with that SKETCHY DOEEEE.

BUT...

Like I always said...

Disregard females, acquire currency.

TBH... I'm happy and super content. It's all about your perspective though.

I'd rather be by myself... doing what I want, when I want... and not have to depend on or coordinate life decisions with somebody else and clash.

I wanna leave the toilet seat up after I go pee-pee... I do it.
I wanna order a pizza with pineapples on it... I do it.
I wanna lounge around in my underwear watching youtube... I DOES IT BABY.

This is freedom.

A great wise prophet by the name of Jay-Z once said...

"I GOT 99 PROBLEMS ... but a *female dog* ain't one"

*I wanted to use profanity but I already got a warning from admin about it because everybody so dang sensitive these days and I don't wanna lose this account because it's shared and my folks will be pissed*

Good Luck tho.

lolz

Last edited:

Plenty of nurses, PAs, and other med students during rotations you can take ur pick of (if they ain't rocking no rang on that left rang fanga' doe ya feel me????)

I go town on my main chick FIRST AID.... accompany that with a second round of PATHOMA... follow it up with them QBANKS.... and then finish off with that SKETCHY DOEEEE.

BUT...

Like I always said...

I'd rather be by myself... doing what I want, when I want... and not have to depend on or coordinate life decisions with somebody else and clash.

This is freedom.

*I wanted to use profanity but I already got a warning from admin about it because everybody so dang sensitive these days and I don't wanna lose this account because it's shared and my folks will be pissed*

Good Luck tho.

lolz
How is your enter key not broken after all this time?

Reactions: 8 users

BUT...

Like I always said...

This is freedom.

Good Luck tho.

lolz

I'm glad you're happy but this is literally all I got out of your post

DKLZCLFW4AE6IIH.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
It don't mean a thing if she ain't got that ring homie. The relationship has run it's course, time to move on to the next one. But for now study so you can make that bank and get a hot model wife that the current gf can be jealous of when she's saggy and broke .

Step 1: dont take relationship advice from sdn. Jesus some of these replies are toxic. Do however listen to those that can actually comment on transfering.

Step 2: ignore anyone who’s inital reaction involves something along the lines of “god damn millenials”.

Just like your girlfriend has no right to tell you to quit medical school for her, you have no right to tell your girlfriend to quit her job for you. This isnt the 1950’s and womens careers matter and telling someone to drop their career theyve most likely worked very hard for, especially if they enjoy their current job/have oppurtunity to move up/etc, is never easy to do. Especially if your girlfriend has no job options where you are at. I could see an argument being made that it is much more near impossible to transfer medical schools than it is to find a new job though, so i would hope your girlfriend has atleast tried to look into her career options near you.

I met a 3rd year from another school (far away) last year that was able to come to an agreement with his school to do all of his base rotations at hospitals closer to his girlfriend even though the rotations werent affiliated with his own school. So you could try this if you can hold out till 3rd year.

But i really have no idea what your relationship is like or how hard this whole process is, so as always refer to step 1 above. Best of luck OP.

Why do people transfer during third year? You can rotate wherever you want if you set it up. 4th year is even easier.

Not always true. Actually I don’t know an instance of it being true. Schools require 3rd year core rotations. Most schools require them to be at core sites. Once you finish your cores then have fun

From SOMA site:
The curriculum model and structure of SOMA does not allow for transfer student admission.

Tell that girlfriend of yours to get her big, ol' "structural engineering" butt over to the east coast, or else you're gonna drop her faster than a pair of knickers on a prom date.

Not always true. Actually I don’t know an instance of it being true. Schools require 3rd year core rotations. Most schools require them to be at core sites. Once you finish your cores then have fun
Maybe non-year long track is unique to my school. I know plenty of people that went to their hometown after doing their due diligence and submitting appropriate papwerwork.

Jesus some of these replies are toxic...

Just like your girlfriend has no right to tell you to quit medical school for her, you have no right to tell your girlfriend to quit her job for you. This isnt the 1950’s and womens careers matter and telling someone to drop their career theyve most likely worked very hard for, especially if they enjoy their current job/have oppurtunity to move up/etc, is never easy to do. Especially if your girlfriend has no job options where you are at.

My thoughts exactly when reading some of these comments. And in addition, if the relationship ends up not working out or the medical student drops out, the person who practically gave up their life to move to rural town as stay at home spouse is now stuck in the middle of nowhere with a gap in job history, making it difficult to get a good career going again. So, unless it's a long serious relationship and I had found a job there, I wouldn't move. If I were her, I also wouldn't expect you to move and give up medical school. We would just have to work something out, take a break in the relationship until you move for residency to some place where hopefully my job aspects is better, or unfortunately break up.

i would hope your girlfriend has atleast tried to look into her career options near you.
I second this.

For the OP's question, I have no idea. It shouldn't hurt to try and ask the administration. Based on what others have said though, you probably can't for SOMA specifically and it sounds like it will be a really difficult adjustment even if you do get approved. So, I really hope that you have a very good and serious relationship and prepare to work harder as you will probably feel behind or lost in some areas as you adjust to the school's different curriculum style if this all gets approved