Is it possible to take step 1 while on a leave of absence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tatgat

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an IMG student and I'm on a leave of absence between M2 and M3. I didn’t submit my application for step 1 yet.
Is there anybody who knows if it's possible to take steps while on a LOA? Or have you ever seen someone who took the exam while on a LOA?

There’s a statement about eligibility on the USMLE website that says:

“If you are on a leave of absence, please check with the organization that registered you for your examination before submitting your application; if you have already registered, check before testing.”

But I’m still not sure if it means I can take the exam if I got some kinda permission from my school or ECFMG in my case as an IMG.

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine it depends on the reason for the LOA. Some people take a LOA in order to have more time to study for Step 1, in which case the school expects that you take it during that time. Others are on LOA as part of academic probation, so taking Step 1 during that time may not be permitted by the school. It's been a while since I registered for Step 1, but I'm pretty sure your school has to verify that you're either enrolled or a graduate in order to be eligible to sit for it, which is why they prompt you to ask the organization that registered you.

Reactions: 2 users
I would imagine it depends on the reason for the LOA. Some people take a LOA in order to have more time to study for Step 1, in which case the school expects that you take it during that time. Others are on LOA as part of academic probation, so taking Step 1 during that time may not be permitted by the school. It's been a while since I registered for Step 1, but I'm pretty sure your school has to verify that you're either enrolled or a graduate in order to be eligible to sit for it, which is why they prompt you to ask the organization that registered you.
Thank you so much for the answer! Actually, I’m taking the LOA for a medical reason. And as I had thought I’m somewhat recovered from my disease, I was preparing for the exam not to waste my time. And then I came across some threads that say I would be not able to apply for the exam if I’m on LOA. Thanks again for your reply, and your reply is a silver lining for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who took Step 1 during a leave of absence, for academic reasons no less. However, this was an unusual circumstance - this was done under a "do-or-die" agreement with the program wherein the person could either pass Step 1 and continue into M3 year or fail and be expelled - so I would talk to your program first.

I know someone who took Step 1 during a leave of absence, for academic reasons no less. However, this was an unusual circumstance - this was done under a "do-or-die" agreement with the program wherein the person could either pass Step 1 and continue into M3 year or fail and be expelled - so I would talk to your program first.

Sorry for being late to check your reply, and thank you for it!
I sent an email to the ECFMG program and I’m waiting for a reply. Thank you for sharing an example and it’s been really helpful to me!

Your school can authorize (or restrict) taking Steps during an LOA.
Sorry for being late to check your reply. Thank you for a clear answer!
A few days ago I received an answer from ECFMG and they said I should be considered by my school to be enrolled just like you. I’m in the process with my school right now. Thank you again!