Is it possible...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilebig01

Member001
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kind of a silly question but....Is it possible to overwork yourself by the time you take your test and not perform as well because you "overdid it" ??

And by overdoing it I mean studying 10-12 hours few days before and studying a good amount of hours the day before?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

100% possible. You're going to expend all your energy before test day, then not have enough on actual test day.

I suggest not exceeding 7-8 hours of studying per day, and not exceeding 2 hours per study session. Your brain needs breaks and sleep (mmmm, sleep) to process and store memory correctly, so if you study continuously for hours on end you'll do nothing but burn out your brain.

Depends on you and how you study

Personally, I don't believe in burn out. It's all a state of mind.. Of course you need to take breaks, get enough rest, and eat right. As long as you focus it's certainly manageable. For me I studied 10 hours the day before and 4 hours before my afternoon test and I reviewed some topics that actually came up. I just don't like the possibility of not knowing something because I didn't put in the time. But again it just depends on how you personally study and take tests. If you're too nervous/stressed, take it easy and just chill

As a possibility, absolutely. Does it happen to everyone all the time? No. I think in a majority of cases though, it is a better to take it easy a day or two before the test. You can sprinkle in light reading and reviewing, but spend time resting your mind and doing things you know you enjoy. If you know yourself well then it will be clear to you how your body handles weighty and long tests. As ayel91 said, it depends on you.

Also, if you have done your studying well, as in you know and understand the fundamentals, and paced yourself, then the information you will need from your mind during the test will be available to you. :)

Well...I definitely wouldn't pull any all nighters the week of the exam or cram at the last second. That would probably stress me out more and cause me to forget stuff that I already learned