1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is it possible?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by jhdj8707, Jul 22, 2011.

1. jhdj8707

Pre-Medical
    I recently got my MCAT scores and I am more nervous than ever. I was consistantly scoring a 29 on the practice tests but I ended up with a 26Q on the real thing.

This wouldn't be so bad except for my overall GPA.

When I first started college I had no interest in medicine. My freshman year I dropped out in the 3rd quarter for financial reasons and because I was young and stupid I didn't formally withdraw leaving me with all Fs. I took a year off and after getting pregnant I realized that I needed to get my act together. I enrolled in community college and did ok but not amazing. It was in those two years that I gained a serious interest in medicine but I wasn't sure I was ready to commit.

After my second year in CC I transfered to a CA state university and that is when I made the decision to work on the pre-med reqs and after joining a research assistant program in an emergency department I knew I was going to go for it. I have averaged a 3.7 every quarter for the last 2 years (taking difficult science courses). Unfortunately that only leaves me with a 2.8 overall (3.1 science).

I have heard so many different things but looking at the charts on the AAMC website I see that 6% of white applicants with my GPA and MCAT get in. So I am thinking it is possible. But under what circumstances?

I am now the Lead research assistant (been an RA for 15 months; Lead for 4 months) and an author on two publications one of which has been presented at two national conferences. I have significant experience observing in the emergency room. I also volunteer experience as a tutor throughout my community.

I am a single parent working 2 jobs with a full school load. I am proud of all that I have accomplished but I fear that my efforts wont be enough because of the mistakes I made several years ago.

Any advice or information is appreciated!

BTW I am currently applying.

#1 jhdj8707, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nicknickp3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I w
    You are probably going to get auto-screened because of the cGPA. I would say your chances at MD are probably slim to none. If you wanted to be an MD you would probably have to do some retakes and enter an SMP. A solid year of retakes could raise your gpa a whole lot and probably make you pretty competitive for D.O. schools. For example, I had the exact same problem as you, have a semester of F's, had a cGPA of probably 1.8 my first semester. I retook and with the D.O. calculation system I have a 3.5 now.

4. jhdj8707

Pre-Medical
    I have already retaken all of the failed courses which has brought my GPA from 1.8 to 2.8. Don't they average the scores in AMCAS (IE F to A=C)? So repeats wont really help anyways. I know that another year will bring it above the 3.0 but I am applying right now. Also, I have heard that a lot of schools are no longer auto screening but instead doing wholistic review. Anyone else hear this?

5. nicknickp3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You hear about that more with D.O. schools, and with their GPA calculation system if you have an F retake and get an A only the A is used for calculation. It sounds like you don't know much about Osteopathic Physicians.

http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-dos/Pages/default.aspx

Do some reading, they can do everything MD's can and because they are relatively new they accept lower averages etc. And yes I think if you call any schools they would say suuuure apply, because you have to pay to apply and who doesnt love money?