Is it possibly to do really well in school and still maintain a social life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlygirl90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like getting above a 3.7 and still go to some parties, and have some activities outside of studying. Is this manageable by anyone's experience? I haven't been able to manage such a high gpa :(. But maybe with better time management I could do better....

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, its definitely possible but I would say you need to develop a good study routine first. When I first went to do my post-bac, I spent nearly every day studying for 5-6 hrs which for me was necessary since I hadn't ever taken any science classes before. By the second semester I had developed good enough habits and optimized my time that I was able to have a great social life. You've got to really sit down and figure out what kind of studying works for you and learn how to get the most out of your time. Figure that out and you'll definitely be able to squeeze in a social life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, just look at me.

Not only do have a 4.0, but I am also founder/leader of the campus weekly pokemon tournament.

Also, I hang out with my friends at least a couple hours each day on WoW.

I know what you're thinking: "man, this guy has it all! No way he has a gf..."

But let me tell you something, I ran into a hot Hunter on WoW a couple weeks ago and man she is smokin'. xoXcutieHunter4u89oXo, ahh.

1239155322812.jpg

Like getting above a 3.7 and still go to some parties, and have some activities outside of studying. Is this manageable by anyone's experience? I haven't been able to manage such a high gpa :(. But maybe with better time management I could do better....

I agree with both posters.

Be efficient. Never study with distractions like internet/cell phone/facebook/etc. My schedule was always, study hard Sunday night through Friday until 3pm or so. Then take Fridays/Saturdays off completely. Of course you can do a few things during the week if something good comes up, but just focus on working really hard when you work. Lots of people I see that studied all the time were in study groups where people just socialize constantly.

Anyhow, no one really studies more than 5 hours a day, so if you have good time management you could theoretically have 4 social hours everyday.

Oh, and best tip: Don't do a crazy time consuming major. Easier major = no difference in application and less time studying.

Yes, just look at me.

Not only do have a 4.0, but I am also founder/leader of the campus weekly pokemon tournament.

But let me tell you something, I ran into a hot Hunter on WoW a couple weeks ago and man she is smokin'. xoXcutieHunter4u89oXo, ahh.

lol. Nice :thumbup: :)

Yes, just look at me.

1239155322812.jpg

Well. Played.

And so, in answer to the original question: Yes.

I would say that it is not only possible but beneficial.

You need to be able to relate to human beings, not only read and memorize textbooks.

The more people you hang around and can converse with that are different from you, the better. Once you go on interviews and can look people in the eye and communicate well, you will have an advantage against someone with perfect grades, publications and no social skills.

Med Schools want well rounded applicants.

Plus, forgetting the whole med school thing, your life will be better!

I managed to graduate above a 3.7, was in a social frat and went out about twice a week.

Just like you have to make time to study, you have to make time to have fun. When you sit down to work, work hard and efficiently. When you're done, open your bev of choice and call a friend.

I'm certainly not objective, but going greek was the best decision I made in undergrad. It helped me tremendously with my work play balance. Great times and life long friends.

Also, as a personal choice I kept the large majority of my friends outside of my major and pre-med. Not sure if it made a difference but it kept me grounded and from talking about the MCAT at the bar.

Plus, forgetting the whole med school thing, your life will be better!

Couldn't be said better!

Being social is not something people decide to do. If you are a social person, you will be social. If you are not, you wont be regardless of how much free time you have.

I'm in a fraternity one of the larger ones on campus, i normally go out on thursdays and fridays, unless i have a test upcoming that next week, and i normally make up for it by studying on saturday afternoons unless theres a football game..Ive managed to pull a 3.9 this semester, best yet. At the beginning of the semester i was doing nothing but studying and burning out, but after a month in i started socializing more and was more relaxed while i studied which i think led to better grades.
Anyways find time slots in which you can relax watch tv or something youll be fine, best of luck!

Study hard and party hard. I belonged to a fraternity, had a steady girlfriend for 4 years who was pretty high maintenance, played varsity soccer for my college, and competed in national snowboard competitions, and still graduated with a 3.82 gpa. I limited my partying to Friday and Saturday nights, and was dilligent in spending most of my evenings at the library. When my soccer team was on the road, I took my books and studied while we were traveling and at my hotel room. Just be smart and disciplined with your time and don't get behind in any of your classes.

College was a blast. Best time of my life.

Study hard and party hard. I belonged to a fraternity, had a steady girlfriend for 4 years who was pretty high maintenance, played varsity soccer for my college, and competed in national snowboard competitions, and still graduated with a 3.82 gpa. I limited my partying to Friday and Saturday nights, and was dilligent in spending most of my evenings at the library. When my soccer team was on the road, I took my books and studied while we were traveling and at my hotel room. Just be smart and disciplined with your time and don't get behind in any of your classes.

College was a blast. Best time of my life.

and you drive a Cutlass. That's sick. The world needs more hard working dte people like yourself. Much respect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its a trade off like everything in life. Of course my time management skills suck as well so im not one to give advice about this. Think of it this way, its like being the nice guy with good character and morals, but be lonely and loveless, or be the shallow douchebag who gets a lot of girls. To be one would require you to sacrifice the other to an extent. If your already a girl well…..good for you. Point is most people (myself included) really believed in that you had to sacrifice either work or social life. I hope to learn how to bring a balance to both because its definitely possible since everyone on here can do it but me.

I know to a lot of you, time management and studying hard and efficiently was something natural or even genetic, but to anyone who had to learn how to manage time and study effectively, do you have any resources that helped you out?

yeah I do it and I'm in a fraternity, I probably go out twice a week to the bar/ a mixer/function...depends on the person time /management skills

Not only is it possible, its expected. If you can't pull off at least a 3.7 whilst swimming in alcohol through college, then something is wrong :laugh:

Also you'll probably improve your studying skills with time and can spend less time hitting the books while maintaining the same level of efficiency/success. I haven't started medical school but I browse the allopathic/osteopathic areas and I think figuring out how to study was hard for people but they studied a lot more effectively over time.

its all about being able to say no. sometimes you just gotta study when your friends are out drinking. Thats pre med

I managed to graduate above a 3.7, was in a social frat and went out about twice a week.

Just like you have to make time to study, you have to make time to have fun. When you sit down to work, work hard and efficiently. When you're done, open your bev of choice and call a friend.

I'm certainly not objective, but going greek was the best decision I made in undergrad. It helped me tremendously with my work play balance. Great times and life long friends.

Also, as a personal choice I kept the large majority of my friends outside of my major and pre-med. Not sure if it made a difference but it kept me grounded and from talking about the MCAT at the bar.

Couldn't be said better!

This is me exactly, only substitute the word sorority for frat. It's all about time management and finding a balance.

Like I asked earlier. I want to know how to do this? I get it, for most of you this stuff is genetic, natural, whatever. To anyone out there who actually had to learn how to work hard and efficiently and manage time, how did you do this?

I know this isn't my thread but I cannot figure this out and I need to very fast if I want to even have a remote chance of turning things around.

Whenever I sit down to do work, I get distracted. I go online, do stupid random things because im afraid to fail. As dumb as this sounds, I keep getting into my head that gpa is a f***ing 2.7, that im a junior, and how screwed I am for med school. I then distract myself because subconsciously I don't want to fail again like I have for the past two years. Every time I worry myself, I can't focus, and that in turn causes me to fail more. Its a self-defeating cycle and I need it to stop. This has impacted socially because its destroyed my confidence and thus I am socializing much less, losing value in my friends circle, and not being able to enjoy life because of it. I spend a lot of time by myself these days because of all this, and that just makes it worse.

A lot of you probably knew what it took from day 1 of college, good for you, I wish that was me. I don't expect any of you overachievers to really "know" what I am going through because you probably don't.

But to anyone who does, please help me out, I need to get this fixed in order to get my life back on track.

if you want a chem BS, the answer is NO*6.022*10^23.

I think the only time I gave up my social life during undergrad was the semester I studied for the MCAT. I couldn't afford to wake up hung over and waste the weekend recovering. But other than that, I've enjoyed almost every weekend and many weekdays in college (gym, basketball, hanging out, etc).

Sort of. Depends on other things like your financial situation. I had a friend who did quite well and partied extremely hard. However, he didn't have to work, and his parents subsidized his substantial alcohol budget in addition to paying for his tuition and living expenses. He wasn't spoiled, and he did well for himself, but he was able to do all kinds of things that I couldn't have done.

My point is mostly that it depends partly on what you mean by social life. ;) If you're working a lot and studying a lot, you won't have a LOT of free time, but if you want to spend time with friends, you certainly can.

Whenever I sit down to do work, I get distracted. I go online, do stupid random things because im afraid to fail. As dumb as this sounds, I keep getting into my head that gpa is a f***ing 2.7, that im a junior, and how screwed I am for med school. I then distract myself because subconsciously I don't want to fail again like I have for the past two years. Every time I worry myself, I can't focus, and that in turn causes me to fail more. Its a self-defeating cycle and I need it to stop. This has impacted socially because its destroyed my confidence and thus I am socializing much less, losing value in my friends circle, and not being able to enjoy life because of it. I spend a lot of time by myself these days because of all this, and that just makes it worse.

It sounds like you suffer from a common mild psychological condition called perfectionism. I for one, as well as others on here I'm sure, experience these feelings. The key is to force yourself to focus and become productive. Finding out how to do this for yourself is the tricky part. Locking myself in the library with no access to the internet, and turning my phone on "airplane mode" have worked for me. If you can't seem to overcome these obstacles on your own, I would recommend seeing a psychologist.

It sounds like you suffer from a common mild psychological condition called perfectionism. I for one, as well as others on here I'm sure, experience these feelings. The key is to force yourself to focus and become productive. Finding out how to do this for yourself is the tricky part. Locking myself in the library with no access to the internet, and turning my phone on "airplane mode" have worked for me. If you can't seem to overcome these obstacles on your own, I would recommend seeing a psychologist.

My gpa is a 2.7 after 2 years of undergrad, perfectionism is necessary for me here on out to get anywhere near a gpa that will allow me to apply to med school.

I know it seems like im whining and if im annoying any of you im sorry. Most of you guys are successful academically and socially. Ive failed academically so far, and am failing socially because of it. I want to focus and be productive but a part of my mind keeps bringing up how much ive screwed up, how lonely i am, every negative emotion and I can't seem to work consistently after that. I want to shut this part of my mind off, I guess I have to figure that out on my own since you guys can't really relate to that. Thanks anyway though.

My gpa is a 2.7 after 2 years of undergrad, perfectionism is necessary for me here on out to get anywhere near a gpa that will allow me to apply to med school.

I know it seems like im whining and if im annoying any of you im sorry. Most of you guys are successful academically and socially. Ive failed academically so far, and am failing socially because of it. I want to focus and be productive but a part of my mind keeps bringing up how much ive screwed up, how lonely i am, every negative emotion and I can't seem to work consistently after that. I want to shut this part of my mind off, I guess I have to figure that out on my own since you guys can't really relate to that. Thanks anyway though.

I don't think you understand. From wikipedia:

In its pathological form, perfectionism can be very damaging. It can take the form of procrastination when it is used to postpone tasks ("I can't start my project until I know the 'right' way to do it."), and self-deprecation when it is used to excuse poor performance or to seek sympathy and affirmation from other people ("I can't believe I don't know how to reach my own goals. I must be stupid; how else could I not be able to do this?").

Perfectionists can suffer anxiety and low self-esteem. Perfectionism is a risk factor for obsessive compulsive personality disorder, eating disorders, social anxiety, social phobia, body dysmorphic disorder, workaholism, self harm, and clinical depression as well as physical problems like chronic stress, adrenal exhaustion and heart disease.

Therapists attempt to tackle the negative thinking that surrounds perfectionism, in particular the "all-or-nothing" thinking in which the client believes that an achievement is either perfect or useless. They encourage clients to set realistic goals and to face their fear of failure.

Wow, its worst than we thought...

perfect description... seriously I'm running on five hour energy shots right now lol
There should be an exception: During Crunch Time/ Finals week it should be pick one.

I'm a sophomore, pledging a social fraternity, and am looking at close to a 4.0 semester while taking 17 credits and having a steady girlfriend. It's possible, but hard and I would definitely agree with the triangle; very much lack of sleep.

BTW pledging as a sophomore sucks. Don't know if I said that or not.

I'm a sophomore, pledging a social fraternity, and am looking at close to a 4.0 semester while taking 17 credits and having a steady girlfriend. It's possible, but hard and I would definitely agree with the triangle; very much lack of sleep.

This is what I want to be able to do. Obviously you don't have a fear of failure since this seems so natural to you, so I guess you don't really know where im coming from, but im the complete opposite of that. My gpa sucks, I don't have a gf, and I am lonely. Sad, yea I know, boohoo, but I guess I am a "perfectionist" and I am trying hard to break out of this mentality. How do you do this?

This is what I want to be able to do. Obviously you don't have a fear of failure since this seems so natural to you, so I guess you don't really know where im coming from, but im the complete opposite of that. My gpa sucks, I don't have a gf, and I am lonely. Sad, yea I know, boohoo, but I guess I am a "perfectionist" and I am trying hard to break out of this mentality. How do you do this?

Perhaps you need to allow yourself to fail? Accept that failure is natural and that it happens to the best of us.

what is this social life that you speak of. college..... enjoyable? impossible.

Perhaps you need to allow yourself to fail? Accept that failure is natural and that it happens to the best of us.

But I have failed, my gpa sucks. I don't know how to do the second part of that sentence. For some reason I can't accept failure, I feel like crap for failing instead which makes me just feel like crap, causing me to procrastinate and prevents me from working hard to do the best I can from here on out. I guess i'll figure it out somehow. Clearly not worth talking about it anymore on here since none of you have a fear of failure. Oh well, one of a kind I guess.

OP sorry for taking over your thread with my problems. I guess im having a much harder time with this than you or anyone else on this site. Anyways getting back to you, don't worry about it, your not a halfway college wreck like me, im sure you have plenty of time to figure out how best to balance your time.

Good luck!

subscapularis- So sure, you've "failed." Except for college is not done, and gpa's at this point are still relatively flexible. You can always do post-bac work and increase it later too. What you really need to do is organize your study time and find a good study partner or group to keep you accountable if you're serious about improving. Note study partners don't necessarily have to be studying the same thing as you- just having someone else studying with you can keep you from procrastinating/wasting time especially on the internet. Get organized, buy a planner, and utilize office hours, ta sessions, fellow classmates, maybe even counselling, whatever works for you. It is doable- just breathe and don't panic! Good luck!

To the OP's original post if you can balance the two? Yes. You just have to be organized and honest with yourself. Work when you say you're going to work, and actually relax and have fun when you've promised to reward yourself with a break. Planners are your best friends because they can help you figure out when you have time to hang out with your real ones :) (it'll probably be a lot more time than you think, barring finals week!)

I thought you all were talking about medical school. A social life in undergrad? Uh.. yes... Definitely. If not, you're doing it wrong. :p

But I have failed, my gpa sucks. I don't know how to do the second part of that sentence. For some reason I can't accept failure, I feel like crap for failing instead which makes me just feel like crap, causing me to procrastinate and prevents me from working hard to do the best I can from here on out. I guess i'll figure it out somehow. Clearly not worth talking about it anymore on here since none of you have a fear of failure. Oh well, one of a kind I guess.

OP sorry for taking over your thread with my problems. I guess im having a much harder time with this than you or anyone else on this site. Anyways getting back to you, don't worry about it, your not a halfway college wreck like me, im sure you have plenty of time to figure out how best to balance your time.

Good luck!

Seriously, you need to see a psychologist or at least a school counselor. You obviously can't fix yourself.

subscapularis- So sure, you've "failed." Except for college is not done, and gpa's at this point are still relatively flexible. You can always do post-bac work and increase it later too. What you really need to do is organize your study time and find a good study partner or group to keep you accountable if you're serious about improving. Note study partners don't necessarily have to be studying the same thing as you- just having someone else studying with you can keep you from procrastinating/wasting time especially on the internet. Get organized, buy a planner, and utilize office hours, ta sessions, fellow classmates, maybe even counselling, whatever works for you. It is doable- just breathe and don't panic! Good luck!

To the OP's original post if you can balance the two? Yes. You just have to be organized and honest with yourself. Work when you say you're going to work, and actually relax and have fun when you've promised to reward yourself with a break. Planners are your best friends because they can help you figure out when you have time to hang out with your real ones :) (it'll probably be a lot more time than you think, barring finals week!)

Thanks docjedi, always helps to read something encouraging.

Seriously, you need to see a psychologist or at least a school counselor. You obviously can't fix yourself.

I can fix myself. I just need the courage and confidence to go through with it than to keep looking at my past.

shut up pledge....just kidding :laugh:

Love these threads...as if our experiences are all the same and relate to eachother. Yes you can sleep close to 8 hours, party the weekends, play some sort of sport, etc etc and get good grades. Obviously not everyone can do this. Some people just hear things and absorb it, others don't. Some people manage time well...others don't.

in undergrad i waited tables ~30 hours a week, went out with friends like 5 nights a week and all weekend days (that i didn't work) and graduated with like a 3.7. definitely possible, you just have to perfect time management/cramming skills..

in perspective i'm actually significantly less busy in med school than i was in UG, cause I have no social life haha.. med school takes up about as much time as my job and school did in UG.