is it too early to panic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belljar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I don't know if I should be freaking out now or just try to stay calm a few more weeks. I did really poorly on the verbal section of my mcat, but everything else on my app is (and i say this only to make myself feel better about my mcat score) solid. I just want to know if you guys think it's just stupid to write a letter to the dean or someone on the adcomm and tell them they have to look at my application as a whole and not just as stats??:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would be wise to do so. After all, I wouldn't take kindly to someone trying to tell me how to do my job. You may want to call the office and express your concerns with someone there. They may make a note of it, they may ask you to submit a supplemental letter to their office... chances are, if you're that worried, call.

It also depends on how bad you REALLY did. Some people are like, "My life is OVER!! I only got a 37 on the MCAT!!"

A lot of schools have minimum cutoffs that you have to make. UC Davis, I think, has a cutoff of 7 for each score. I think Boston U is also 6 or 7. That's the cutoff to be considered for secondary/ interview.

To be safe, just call, but don't tell them how to review your file.

~AID

I think the reviewer will at least look at other parts of your app even if he/she sees a low MCAT verbal score. That, however, exclude the schools that screen out applicants based on number formula.

Explain the reason why your verbal score is low (If the reason is legitimate, such as English being a second language) in your secondaries if possible. Also, bring it up in the interviews if you feel comfortable talking about it. It may seem like it's better to hide it during interview, but trust me, when the comittee makes the decision, the MCAT scores are right in front of them. However, if you brought it up during interview, at least the interviewer can help defend you that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
so how bad is the verbal? 4???

i mean since i dont know how bad is bad to you i dont know how to answer this.

but was your writing sample good? if you had a good WS then that can somewhat compensate for the low verbal.
im sure taking lots of lit classes and such shouldnt hurt either.

now if you are just bad at verbal.....then i guess i would take the time to explain it if the secondary lets you talk about extra stuff. basically what calebro said above.

Originally posted by Cerberus
yes, 5:45 am is way too early to panic. Wait a few hours then start panicking.

:laugh: :laugh:

damn how come i cant give good advice like this. oh i have so much to learn.

It is way too early to panic for many acceptances will be coming next year. Many individuals will not get accepted until March and it means nothing really. It does not mean that they are less competitive than someone that go in on October, it just means that the adcoms may have taken longer to look at that particular file, or the individual took the Aug MCAT, or they sent in AMCAS later. Do not worry yet, if you are wondering about the status of your application just call the admissions office and ask that always help calm nerves. Good luck!