Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few questions, but the main question is basically, is it too late for me? I am a senior about to start my final semester of a BA in economics. I went to community college in high school and then transferred to my current school. Is it too late for me to try and pursue a career in medicine? Long ago, I thought it would be a fulfilling career, but I lost touch with it and am now considering it once again. I haven't taken many of the required courses, only 1 chem, 2 bios, and no physics. Could I take one semester of courses to get the prereqs, take the MCAT(do well), and get into some medical program? I have a 3.95+ GPA in undergrad, 4.00 at community college.

I am 21 btw, I don't really know if that matters. I don't come from an extremely wealthy background, maybe upper-middle class, so I don't have unlimited finance access. I would eventually want to pursue emergency medicine, I am set on that, I think I would enjoy it and am a wonderful fit for it.

If I could do this, what do you think the chances are of me getting into a program that is close to where I live now.(Wake, Duke, and UNC).

I need help! if I need to give any more information, ask!
Taking one semester to fulfill all your prereqs are daunting. I would give it a year minimum to complete and also prepare for the MCAT. If you start spring semester 2021 you should be ready to apply sometime in 2022 if all goes accordingly. You are young and have time, don't rush things and do things right the first time.

Very difficult to give any assessment of your chances to Wake, Duke, or UNC without a sGPA, an MCAT score, or a breakdown of what you have been doing since time of your graduation (working?).

How do you know that you want to pursue medicine? have you been shadowing? working in healthcare?

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with the above...a year to do all the prereqs is not only going to be overwhelming, but it may be a recipe for disaster. You want to learn the prereq material WELL as this is what the MCAT is made of. I don't have a doubt you can do well on your classes/MCAT, but taking the appropriate amount of time is important. Medical schools aren't going anywhere. If you want it, take the correct steps and time to get your app in the best shape possible, THEN and only then, apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.