Is it too late to apply DO? (URM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daxlo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 2 IIs from MD schools, but i haven't heard back from them yet. It's been months, and i personally know other people who've interviewed after me that have already gotten acceptances. I'd like to know if it's too late to throw my hat in the ring for D.O applications.

For reference My stats are:
MCAT: 503-505
uGPA: 3.3-3.5
sGPA: 3.0-3,2
URM. GA Resident

I'm thinking about applying to GA-PCOM and NOVA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've gotten 2 IIs from MD schools, but i haven't heard back from them yet. It's been months, and i personally know other people who've interviewed after me that have already gotten acceptances. I'd like to know if it's too late to throw my hat in the ring for D.O applications.

MCAT: 504
uGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.2
URM. GA Resident

Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those schools particularly, yes, overall Id say the same thing.....throwing in an app now means, verification not until about Xmas, meaning secondaries around mid Jan at the earliest for a Feb/March/April interview? If you had stellar stats, I would have said sure...go for it....but that isnt the case...if you have money to burn, be school specific and try your luck...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys same question here, I haven't applied MD this cycle but I want to know if I have a shot if I apply DO this late in the cycle.
3.4gpa (s & u )
508 mcat
strong ECs

Thanks! :)

Hey guys same question here, I haven't applied MD this cycle but I want to know if I have a shot if I apply DO this late in the cycle.
3.4gpa (s & u )
508 mcat
strong ECs

Thanks! :)

Submitting an app before Thanksgiving is usually the very latest you can apply to DO schools (with decent stats). Apply at the beginning of next cycle to your state MD's and DO schools.

Reactions: 2 users
is the thanksgiving deadline everyone refers to for the primary or the secondary?

is the thanksgiving deadline everyone refers to for the primary or the secondary?
Primaries. As long as you have been verified by the end of December you are okay for newer less competitive schools

Reactions: 1 user
Honest answer is if you are black, yes. Otherwise no. Hispanic and native American don't get much boost, especially this late on

It’s not too late for PCOM-GA, send an application. Plus, it won’t take long to process since there are very few people submitting primary at this point.

Of course that is if the deadline for submitting hasn’t passed yet, idk.

Do you have a letter written by your pre-health committee or the required LOR's from other faculty? That also generally takes some time. I know for me, it took a few months because my pre-health committee interviews the students prior to writing the letter.

Do you have a letter written by your pre-health committee or the required LOR's from other faculty? That also generally takes some time. I know for me, it took a few months because my pre-health committee interviews the students prior to writing the letter.

i already have 4 letters in rec stored in interfolio

i already have 4 letters in rec stored in interfolio
I would say that it is definitely very late in the cycle and your chances would be greatly diminished at this point. However, if you have the extra money, it wouldn't hurt to try!

Can I ask why, with those stats, you didn't decide to apply to DO off the bat? Not saying that your stats are horrible or anything, just curious of your reasoning because they are definitely lower than whats generally accepted for MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that it is definitely very late in the cycle and your chances would be greatly diminished at this point. However, if you have the extra money, it wouldn't hurt to try!

Can I ask why, with those stats, you didn't decide to apply to DO off the bat? Not saying that your stats are horrible or anything, just curious of your reasoning because they are definitely lower than whats generally accepted for MD.

My MCAT was in line for the HBCUs i was aiming for, and my ECs are very very good. but lol you're right, i probably should have thrown some D.Os into the mix from the start.

My MCAT was in line for the HBCUs i was aiming for, and my ECs are very very good. but lol you're right, i probably should have thrown some D.Os into the mix from the start.
Well, if you're truly against the gap year and have the extra money, I would say go for it!

I applied to 11 DO schools. Primary was complete start of Decemberish secondaries complete by end of december. Got an interview at KCOM, KCU, Nova, OSUCOM, VCOM-Auburn, PNWU, UNE, RVU, LECOM erie and Bradenton.. Didnt get interview offer at PCOM. If you have good stats and EC's (505+, 3.6+) you can pull off a late DO app with good success IMO. I am white, upper class, male. So if you are URM you can apply within even more confidence IMO.

I applied to 11 DO schools. Primary was complete start of Decemberish secondaries complete by end of december. Got an interview at KCOM, KCU, Nova, OSUCOM, VCOM-Auburn, PNWU, UNE, RVU, LECOM erie and Bradenton.. Didnt get interview offer at PCOM. If you have good stats and EC's (505+, 3.6+) you can pull off a late DO app with good success IMO. I am white, upper class, male. So if you are URM you can apply within even more confidence IMO.

Thank you! Did you also have a letter from a D.O physician?

Thank you! Did you also have a letter from a D.O physician?
I was accepted this cycle without a letter from a DO. I submitted my primaries in mid October.

It's worth a shot to apply, but you better have a good explanation why DO if you get an interview. You should add more than two DO schools if you actually want to go to a DO school this year. There are a handful of DO schools in the Southeast if that is the area you want to go to school at.

Thanks i'll take all that into account as i craft my app.

I don't think I have ever in my life seen someone state they were upper class. Nice.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think I have ever in my life seen someone state they were upper class. Nice.

lol silly thing to get triggered over. I was giving someone honest advice so that they could compare their app to mine, and guess their probable outcome.

lol silly thing to get triggered over. I was giving someone honest advice so that they could compare their app to mine, and guess their probable outcome.
I was complimenting you- not triggered at all. It is nice to see someone who is that honest.

Reactions: 2 users

MCAT: 504
uGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.2
URM. GA Resident

I submitted mid-December last year (was waiting on Fall semester grades), verified late-December, secondaries submitted early-mid January. Got 3 II, 2 acceptances. Stats were were (not much) worse than yours all-around. Also white male from mid-upper class large city. I'd say you definitely have a shot if you apply to strategic schools.

I submitted mid-December last year (was waiting on Fall semester grades), verified late-December, secondaries submitted early-mid January. Got 3 II, 2 acceptances. Stats were were (not much) worse than yours all-around. Also white male from mid-upper class large city. I'd say you definitely have a shot if you apply to strategic schools.
Why did you wait for grades to apply? Did you want the GPA increase, or what?

Why did you wait for grades to apply? Did you want the GPA increase, or what?

GPA increase to above most cutoffs, achieved by taking advantage of (unbeknownst to me) the dying days of grade replacement. I had 22 credits, at least 9 of which were repeats.

GPA increase to above most cutoffs, achieved by taking advantage of (unbeknownst to me) the dying days of grade replacement. I had 22 credits, at least 9 of which were repeats.
Well I’m glad it all worked out for you!!

What schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking

What schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking

All the new schools (ACOM, BCOM, LUCOM, UIW, ARCOM, Touro-NY, Campbell - all still "new" when I applied), schools within my geographic reach (AKA, I could honestly say - and not looking like I was BSing - that I would want to stay in that area post-graduation) which for me is mid-Atlantic / east coast, and then pretty much every other school that wasn't a state school or one of the super old, established schools. I think I ended up applying to 22 or 23 total, and filled out probably 20 secondaries. Despite coming from a privileged background, my parents did NOT help me with this so it cost a few Gs which sucked, but was worth it ultimately.

Got an II from LUCOM, VCOM-VA and WVSOM (all relatively geographically relevant), was accepted to LUCOM and WVSOM. Current student at LUCOM.

All the new schools (ACOM, BCOM, LUCOM, UIW, ARCOM, Touro-NY, Campbell - all still "new" when I applied), schools within my geographic reach (AKA, I could honestly say - and not looking like I was BSing - that I would want to stay in that area post-graduation) which for me is mid-Atlantic / east coast, and then pretty much every other school that wasn't a state school or one of the super old, established schools. I think I ended up applying to 22 or 23 total, and filled out probably 20 secondaries. Despite coming from a privileged background, my parents did NOT help me with this so it cost a few Gs which sucked, but was worth it ultimately.

Got an II from LUCOM, VCOM-VA and WVSOM (all relatively geographically relevant), was accepted to LUCOM and WVSOM. Current student at LUCOM.

What made you choose LUCOM over WVSOM?

What made you choose LUCOM over WVSOM?

Everything. Once you step foot in LUCOM, it becomes very difficult to imagine going anywhere else. You have to realize that SDN is a great resource, but ultimately people love being talking heads without any merit behind their bashing of LUCOM.

In short, 1) the faculty here are amazing (ironically, the OMM department is run by ex-WVSOM chair and other WV associated OMM gurus --- the 3 main OMM professors literally wrote the textbook we use: Pocket Manual of OMT) - we have a ton of DOs and MDs with unreal credentials and training / teaching resumes (medical school/residency/teaching positions at Brown, UCLA, UPenn, Penn State, Northwestern, U of Chicago, Mayo, etc). The dedication of our professors is to a level I never expected, and they won’t stop until we are all great physicians. (Ex: chair of integrated physiology-pharmacology was at school all day today and tomorrow to help answer questions and lead reviews for upcoming test on Monday). Our faculty are leaders of their fields and top-rated clinicians.

2) the administration is run by people who not only know how to run a med school, but are dedicated (and active, stay tuned for residency opening announcement in the near future) to creating GME spots for us students. Dr. Peter Bell, our dean, is a leader among men and has decades of nothing but amazing accolades, not to mention very close ties to COCA members.

3) the facilities, quite simply, are second to none. Being attached to LU has ups and downs, the ups being an insane amount of money being thrown our way for state-of-the-art cadaver labs, simulations center, OMM labs and equipment, medical library with full interactive models, lecture halls that make you feel like you’re on a space ship, etc. Additionally, LU undergrad campus has more to offer for recreation than one can imagine: a ski mountain / resort, equestrian center, athletic center with indoor soccer fields, dozens of indoor Bball courts, Olympic sized indoor swimming pool, etc.

4) location. Maybe a bit more personal, as I wanted to stay driving distance to home, but Lynchburg is about as beautiful of a place as you’ll find in Virginia, and it’s central location makes everything relatively close - beaches, mountains, cities, rural farm land - you name it.

5) clinical rotations. This is a biggie, and no doubt people talk out their a** here on SDN about various schools they don’t know about. WVSOM has a lot of things going for them, but when you’re on an interview and current students complain about crappy rotations, moving state to state for 3rd AND 4th year, you listen. LUCOM, meanwhile, has affiliation with every major med school and hospital within a few hundred mile radius. We can do core or elective rotations with the likes of UVA, VCU, Carilion Clinic, etc. Additionally, they have a core site option where you get to stay in Lynchburg for all of 3rd year should you choose. Can’t ask for a better situation, in my opinion.

6) connections. This sorta ties in to #5 but the connections that faculty / admin have across the state are impressive. Every week we have a different residency director from nearby programs come give a talk at lunch. I’ve personally met and have an open line of communication with 2 residency program directors (one at VCU) where I very well could end up auditioning at. The prospect for post-graduation success here is limitless.

7) medical missions / outreach trips. There a TON of outreach / service trips for students to participate in, and they are so rewarding. To be out there among the underserved, listening to their issues reminds you of why you’re going through the insanity in the first place.

8) classmates. The non-cutthroat nature of our school honestly makes me be able to get through it most of the time. Collaboration is key in the professional world, and there isn’t a soul here that wouldn’t tutor you, share notes, upload great sources to google drive, etc. We are all part of the same team here and it makes the stress of it all so much easier. Maybe this isn’t unique to LUCOM, but definitely something I’m super stoked about.

TL;DR - there’s no way for you to know what you’re missing at LUCOM unless you interview here.

Last edited:
Everything. Once you step foot in LUCOM, it becomes very difficult to imagine going anywhere else. You have to realize that SDN is a great resource, but ultimately people love being talking heads without any merit behind their bashing of LUCOM.

In short, 1) the faculty here are amazing (ironically, the OMM department is run by ex-WVSOM chair and other WV associated OMM gurus --- the 3 main OMM professors literally wrote the textbook we use: Pocket Manual of OMT) - we have a ton of DOs and MDs with unreal credentials and training / teaching resumes (medical school/residency/teaching positions at Brown, UCLA, UPenn, Penn State, Northwestern, U of Chicago, Mayo, etc). The dedication of our professors is to a level I never expected, and they won’t stop until we are all great physicians. (Ex: chair of integrated physiology-pharmacology was at school all day today and tomorrow to help answer questions and lead reviews for upcoming test on Monday). Our faculty are leaders of their fields and top-rated clinicians.

2) the administration is run by people who not only know how to run a med school, but are dedicated (and active, stay tuned for residency opening announcement in the near future) to creating GME spots for us students. Dr. Peter Bell, our dean, is a leader among men and has decades of nothing but amazing accolades, not to mention very close ties to COCA members.

3) the facilities, quite simply, are second to none. Being attached to LU has ups and downs, the ups being an insane amount of money being thrown our way for state-of-the-art cadaver labs, simulations center, OMM labs and equipment, medical library with full interactive models, lecture halls that make you feel like you’re on a space ship, etc. Additionally, LU undergrad campus has more to offer for recreation than one can imagine: a ski mountain / resort, equestrian center, athletic center with indoor soccer fields, dozens of indoor Bball courts, Olympic sized indoor swimming pool, etc.

4) location. Maybe a bit more personal, as I wanted to stay driving distance to home, but Lynchburg is about as beautiful of a place as you’ll find in Virginia, and it’s central location makes everything relatively close - beaches, mountains, cities, rural farm land - you name it.

5) clinical rotations. This is a biggie, and no doubt people talk out their a** here on SDN about various schools they don’t know about. WVSOM has a lot of things going for them, but when you’re on an interview and current students complain about crappy rotations, moving state to state for 3rd AND 4th year, you listen. LUCOM, meanwhile, has affiliation with every major med school and hospital within a few hundred mile radius. We can do core or elective rotations with the likes of UVA, VCU, Carilion Clinic, etc. Additionally, they have a core site option where you get to stay in Lynchburg for all of 3rd year should you choose. Can’t ask for a better situation, in my opinion.

6) connections. This sorta ties in to #5 but the connections that faculty / admin have across the state are impressive. Every week we have a different residency director from nearby programs come give a talk at lunch. I’ve personally met and have an open line of communication with 2 residency program directors (one at VCU) where I very well could end up auditioning at. The prospect for post-graduation success here is limitless.

7) medical missions / outreach trips. There a TON of outreach / service trips for students to participate in, and they are so rewarding. To be out there among the underserved, listening to their issues reminds you of why you’re going through the insanity in the first place.

8) classmates. The non-cutthroat nature of our school honestly makes me be able to get through it most of the time. Collaboration is key in the professional world, and there isn’t a soul here that wouldn’t tutor you, share notes, upload great sources to google drive, etc. We are all part of the same team here and it makes the stress of it all so much easier. Maybe this isn’t unique to LUCOM, but definitely something I’m super stoked about.

TL;DR - there’s no way for you to know what you’re missing at LUCOM unless you interview here.

If you don't mind me asking, did you have an MD/DO letter of rec when applying during your cycle?

If you don't mind me asking, did you have an MD/DO letter of rec when applying during your cycle?

DO. It was required for most (if not all) the schools I applied to, if memory serves correct.

You shouldn't apply DO without a physician letter.

A letter from a DO helps and is probably obtainable in a few weeks if you're committed.

You shouldn't apply DO without a physician letter.

A letter from a DO helps and is probably obtainable in a few weeks if you're committed.
Applied and accepted without letter from any physician. Not necessary unless the school specifically says so. Will help, but not necessary.

Applied and accepted without letter from any physician. Not necessary unless the school specifically says so. Will help, but not necessary.

I mean, UNE is the best program that doesn't require a letter of rec from a physician. If you're good with that, by all means.

I mean, UNE is the best program that doesn't require a letter of rec from a physician. If you're good with that, by all means.
Would be interesting to hear what factors you’re using to determine “best programs”.

Honest answer is if you are black, yes. Otherwise no. Hispanic and native American don't get much boost, especially this late on
That's not totally accurate. It depends on the state

A URM will always have a better chance at an acceptance regardless of when they apply but obviously the later you apply the percentage chance of an acceptance goes down for everyone so like a 20% chance for a ORM in December is like 25% for a URM not much of a difference but still all really depends on time of app