Is it too late to apply to a DO school? It is Dec 25...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t3705

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the process.

Is it too late to send a primary application to AACOMAS?

If a person has already applied to MD med schools does that make it easier to send letters of recommendations to DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's assume the stats are good enough for any DO school.

If a person has already applied to md schools, does that make applying to AACOMAS easier and quicker?

It's not a question of whether it is too late or not, but whether you really want to risk a lot of money. I mean at this point the new cycle will be starting in less than half a year. You may as well just take the money you would use to invest in bettering your application in someway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

If a person has already applied to MD med schools does that make it easier to send letters of recommendations to DO schools?
If you've got the funds and numbers.. Go for it.

If a person has already applied to md schools, does that make applying to AACOMAS easier and quicker?

Sure, some of the application sections are the same. The personal statement for D.O has a smaller character count. But you still have to send you transcripts to AACOMAS. Also there is no central process for sending your letters of rec. because they have to be sent directly to each school.

Secondaries can vary. But that being said, you shouldn't apply if you have average D.O stats.

So... It is not too late?

Ok...

Edit...

Ok... i see the above posts.

Thanks..

Easier in what ways? Applying to AACOMAS is easy to apply to already, the only major issue is if he used the MD limit for his PS. As he will now need to shorten it down. His big issue will be in working through the secondaries and prewriting them.

TECHNICALLY it is not too late to apply (except for two schools). One is a Texas school which doesn't even use AACOMAS.

You still have to be verified and receive secondaries. Some schools only have March interview dates as of now. You won't be verified until February, so I don't see the point if you are just solely doing this since you didn't get into MD (pardon the assumption).

Members don't see this ad :)
You're biggest hurdle for most schools, DO YOU HAVE A DO LETTER OF REC???? Some schools take MD letters, some don't require a letter, but they are few.

No, it's not, but you wouldn't be in a good position tbh.
You're biggest hurdle for most schools, DO YOU HAVE A DO LETTER OF REC???? Some schools take MD letters, some don't require a letter, but they are few.

Honestly, I think not having a DO lor is an app killer these days. It's either you have a DO LOR or you talked to Jesus Christ D.O.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol thread.
If you got $ to spare, give it a shot.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

But honestly though it isn't too late. Apps are verified in two weeks now and you could probably get into a low tier place around summer time.

I was accepted to 6 DO schools without a DO letter last cycle. A couple even said they required it.

Reactions: 1 users

Not too late IMO assuming your stats are 3.4+ c/sGPA and 28+, and you are willing to go to any school...

What are some of the "high" tiers then? :rolleyes:

What are some of the "high" tiers then? :rolleyes:

Touro-NY: ?/30.8
Touro-Ca: 3.47/3.40/30.1
CCOM: 3.60/3.55/29
RVU: 3.60/3.57/28.33
DMU: 3.68/3.68/28.2
RowanSOM: 3.63/3.55/28
MSUCOM: 3.6/3.6/28
NYITCOM: 3.6/28
UNTHSC-TCOM: 3.59/3.51/28..............................................HIGH TIERS
COMP: 3.56/3.51/28
COMP-NW: 3.55/3.49/28
AZCOM: 3.51/3.44/28
LECOM-B: 3.50/3.40/28
UNECOM: 3.5+/28
NSU: 3.49/3.40/28
PCOM: 3.46/3.37/28 (2016)
TUNCOM: ?/28
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OU-HCOM: 3.65/3.61/27.42
KCOM: 3.56/3.47/27
LECOM-E/SH: 3.48/3.35/27
ATSU-SOMA: 3.42/3.32/27 (2016)
PCOM-Ga: ?/27 (2015)
MUCOM: 3.57/3.49/26.28 .......................................MID TIERS
OSU-COM: 3.61/3.54/26
KCUMB: 3.60/3.53/26
CUSOM: 3.55/3.23/26
WCU: 3.5/3.4/26
ACOM: 3.4/26
LMU: ?/26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PNWU: 3.40/3.31/25.76
VCOM-CC: 3.61/3.55/25 (2015)
VCOM-VC: 3.59/3.52/25 (2015)
WVSOM: 3.4/3.4/25 .....................................................LOW TIERS
KYCOM: 3.5/3.4/24
LUCOM

LOL

Last edited:
What's the difference between MUCOM and MU-COM

Hmm. Format must be weird on phone

LOL KCUMB in the mid tiers.

Nice try with the tiers.

pcom, ccom, kcumb, dmu, kcom, unecom, turo CA, turo NY, tcom, msucom, nyitcom, rowan are probably the only top tier. Everybody else is mid. Any school less than 5 years old is low tier.

Last edited:
Can't tier by stats. Stats are mostly location dependent.

Did not see it in the MID TIERS....

Your ranking system is based on entry stats... why? I mean you essentially placed two 10 year + schools in low tier, 3 brand news in mid, and RVU in top. I mean if anything this ranking goes to show that students really are choosing their schools purely by location and not opportunities and reputation.

my first application cycle I applied around this time of year with a 3.5/34 & got zero interviews. You can go for it if you've got money to burn, but I'd wait until next cycle. I think the late deadlines are primarily a money making scheme--they count on md applicants panicking mid season & shelling out the $. It seems right in line with the exorbitant fees to hold your seat in a DO class. The next season I applied, one of the people working in admissions office where I was interviewing made some reference to the stack of late applications they never look at. While entry to osteopathic programs is less competitive than allopathic, they're not by any means hurting for qualified applicants, so there is little incentive to interview someone who comes across as using the program as plan B or who was too disorganized/disinterested by this huge life decision to compile an application on the same schedules as his peers.

No, it's not, but you wouldn't be in a good position tbh.

Honestly, I think not having a DO lor is an app killer these days. It's either you have a DO LOR or you talked to Jesus Christ D.O.

Accepted with no DO letter. I was asked about it in my interview, and I just honestly told them that I didn't know a DO well enough to feel good about them writing me a LOR. I related that I would much rather have someone with different letters behind their name that knew me well and could attest to my character write me a letter rather than a DO that I shadowed for 8 hours that would write up a bunch of BS. So no, it's not an app killer as long as you have put thought behind your choice, IMO.

I can tell the difference between those who concern themselves with tiers, although it's repeatedly been stated there are none, and those who don't care.

The young and the old.

Never hurts to be curious of others opinions.
Unless of course, if the other person is egoistic and arrogant! (not anyone here)

I think you can apply to all right now except TCOM since the TMDSAS closed back in October

I think you can apply to all right now except TCOM since the TMDSAS closed back in October

Can is very different than should. I can also flush my paycheck down the toilet, but I probably shouldn't.

LOL KCUMB in the mid tiers.

Nice try with the tiers.

pcom, ccom, kcumb, dmu, kcom, unecom, turo CA, turo NY, tcom, msucom, nyitcom, rowan are probably the only top tier. Everybody else is mid. Any school less than 5 years old is low tier.

Are you sure about Touro(not turo)-NY? I mean its a great school and all, but compared to the others on your list, its pretty darn young.

Can't tier DO schools.

Fixed that for you.

I'm pretty sure the list above is based strictly on mcat

Yeah it is. Its pointless. There is no tiering in DO schools. Go where you like based on how much you like the school, where you want to end up (regionally), and whether the school gives you what you're looking for in terms of rotations. The rest is on you (and other things out of your control - welcome to life).

Hey everyone.
I just want to ask of it's too late to apply to a DO school and still have a shot at getting accepted.
I have a 3.0 gpa and a 31 on my mcat.

Is it also possible for someone to advise me on which ones to apply to? I'm a Kansas resident and want something as close as possible. Thanks a lot!

This late in the game and with those stats, you have no choice but to apply broadly. If I were you, I'd wait a year and try and bump the GPA up a notch.

This late in the game and with those stats, you have no choice but to apply broadly. If I were you, I'd wait a year and try and bump the GPA up a notch.

Thanks for the reply.
Well I'm graduating in may so I'm not sure how much I can improve my gpa. What do you suggest? SMP? Postbacc?

Thanks for the reply.
Well I'm graduating in may so I'm not sure how much I can improve my gpa. What do you suggest? SMP? Postbacc?
Nah. Just retake a couple classes at a community college for some quick, easy and cheap grade replacement. Adcoms are fine with this as long as you don't go overboard.

Either way- this year or next- you will need to apply early and all over. The MCAT is solid, but the 3.0 is sketch anymore.

Nah. Just retake a couple classes at a community college for some quick, easy and cheap grade replacement. Adcoms are fine with this as long as you don't go overboard.

Either way- this year or next- you will need to apply early and all over. The MCAT is solid, but the 3.0 is sketch anymore.

Thanks a lot for your help! Really appreciate it

Honestly consider a SMP so you have a shot at MD.

You really think so? That's very encouraging thanks!
Do you have any idea about which SMPs I could get into with my stats?
I would honestly prefer MD over DO but my top priority is to become a doctor