Is it too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilegna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering if applying in the month of December is considered too late? I know Optomcas can take a little while to verify you application. Just want to know your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

if your stats are really good, then its not too late
i know someone with like a really good gpa and oat, and she applied in january last cycle and got into SUNY

it's not early, but it isn't late either. It depends on the school and how many they accept overall, but there are still plenty of spots available. Considering the deadline is in April, applying before the new year or right at the start still leaves you with a good shot

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now is not late. Summer/fall is considered early and late would be around end of January/February. If you submit now you will be right in the middle. If you are waiting on LORs to be finished or OAT scores, submit without them anyways so that your LORs and OAT will arrive at a later point. As long as you submit before the end of the year you'll be fine, especially if you have good stats.

When I submitted a couple weeks ago my applications were verified in only a couple of days after. Not sure why it went through so fast. It may have been because I already had my transcripts in a few weeks prior. I started receiving emails from schools last week.

Can someone give me a general overview of the app cycle for Optometry schools? So their apps open some point in the summer, close by April, and it's ok to apply at any point before the end of January? Am I understanding this correctly?

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone give me a general overview of the app cycle for Optometry schools? So their apps open some point in the summer, close by April, and it's ok to apply at any point before the end of January? Am I understanding this correctly?

Optomcas app opens up in the summer usually at the end of June. The deadlines vary per program. You can look find a list if you look up optomcas deadlines.

Generally applying “sooner” is better because most programs are rolling admissions. Most people submit by Dec-Jan. Some people have still been looked at if applying later on in the spring, but most programs would’ve filled most of their seats by then and lowers your chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Optomcas app opens up in the summer usually at the end of June. The deadlines vary per program. You can look find a list if you look up optomcas deadlines.

Generally applying “sooner” is better because most programs are rolling admissions. Most people submit by Dec-Jan. Some people have still been looked at if applying later on in the spring, but most programs would’ve filled most of their seats by then and lowers your chances.

Ok, thank you very much for your reply and the info. Also, generally speaking (I'm sure specific requirements must vary by school); do Optometry schools have any hard cutoff GPA's below which they automatically pre-screen your application? Or do they look at every app? And also, would an exceptional OAT score and upward grade trend remedy a low GPA (I'm talking in the mid 2's)?

Ok, thank you very much for your reply and the info. Also, generally speaking (I'm sure specific requirements must vary by school); do Optometry schools have any hard cutoff GPA's below which they automatically pre-screen your application? Or do they look at every app? And also, would an exceptional OAT score and upward grade trend remedy a low GPA (I'm talking in the mid 2's)?

I know that some schools have an automatic pre-screening that will lead to interview invites given you have at least a 3.0 and a certain oat score.

If you look at the “Class of 2022” thread that’s going on, you can see some individuals that have below 3.0 gpa but exceptional OATs (like yourself).

A lot of schools preach that they look at the candidate as a whole, so just gotta look out for those.

I know that some schools have an automatic pre-screening that will lead to interview invites given you have at least a 3.0 and a certain oat score.

If you look at the “Class of 2022” thread that’s going on, you can see some individuals that have below 3.0 gpa but exceptional OATs (like yourself).

A lot of schools preach that they look at the candidate as a whole, so just gotta look out for those.

I see, and one last thing, before the DO schools suddenly stopped doing grade replacement, there had been some isolated rumblings/rumors in regards to that. Have you heard any such things regarding the Optometry schools? Or would you say the Grade Replacement policy (same class, same school) is safe for the foreseeable future?

Last edited:
I see, and one last thing, before the DO schools suddenly stopped doing grade replacement, there had been some isolated rumblings/rumors in regards to that. Have you heard any such things regarding the Optometry schools? Or would you say the Grade Replacement policy (same class, same school) is safe for the foreseeable future?
I haven't heard of anything like that happening amongst the optometry schools so far. It's a good question to bring up to an academic counselor or admissions though if you're applying for future cycles.