Is it too late to shadow a DO now and add it on my "Experiences" on my primary application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Should I shadow a DO even if it's this late into the cycle?

  • Yes

  • No


Results are only viewable after voting.

sopiperlacia

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I am new to SND so sorry if I am doing anything wrong. Just to give a little background information...

Currently I am in the middle of doing my secondary applications for DO schools. I submitted my primary application in July but I am still waiting for my college's committee letter packet to arrive to AACOMAS (I know it's a little late...) I am currently a scribe in the ED and I have shadowed an MD for about 200 hours and received a recommendation letter from him. I have already submitted 3 secondary applications to Western University, LECOM, and NYITCOM. Some secondaries ask about "why osteopathic medicine," and through research and talking to my cousin who is a DO and a graduate from NYITCOM, I was able to receive some insight and write a response.

However, after reading a lot of posts about the "requirement" of shadowing a DO and obtaining a rec letter from one, I was wondering if I should reach out to DOs in my area and shadow them? Is it too late because I have already submitted my secondaries for some schools? And if I do shadow a DO, should I wait to complete my hours before sending in anymore secondaries?

I am aware it is prime time to be submitting applications which is why I am so worried about being late especially with a DO shadowing experience.

Thank you!
 
It's not too late in the cycle, I think if you have your updated app submitted by mid-September you are fine honestly. However, from my understanding, you don't NEED a DO letter for a good amount of schools. It is definitely a bonus if you have one, so if you think it'll be a good letter then it would be worth it. But, I think if you can answer "why osteopathic medicine" well in the secondary/interview setting, it isn't a necessity at all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I would highly recommend including the letter, even if you have to delay a couple weeks. It seems to be the secret key to DO schools unless you have stellar stats.

I was just wondering if you knew how to add another letter to my application? Do I just update my AACOMAS app by adding in my evaluator's information? Should I e-mail all of the schools I have submitted a secondary too already just to let them know?
 
It'll show up for them, and LOR's are usually not much of a factor unless they require a DO letter pre interview, just IMO
 
Hi everyone!

I am new to SND so sorry if I am doing anything wrong. Just to give a little background information...

Currently I am in the middle of doing my secondary applications for DO schools. I submitted my primary application in July but I am still waiting for my college's committee letter packet to arrive to AACOMAS (I know it's a little late...) I am currently a scribe in the ED and I have shadowed an MD for about 200 hours and received a recommendation letter from him. I have already submitted 3 secondary applications to Western University, LECOM, and NYITCOM. Some secondaries ask about "why osteopathic medicine," and through research and talking to my cousin who is a DO and a graduate from NYITCOM, I was able to receive some insight and write a response.

However, after reading a lot of posts about the "requirement" of shadowing a DO and obtaining a rec letter from one, I was wondering if I should reach out to DOs in my area and shadow them? Is it too late because I have already submitted my secondaries for some schools? And if I do shadow a DO, should I wait to complete my hours before sending in anymore secondaries?

I am aware it is prime time to be submitting applications which is why I am so worried about being late especially with a DO shadowing experience.

Thank you!
The DO cycle is longer than MD, so it's not too late. T-giving is late, at least at my school.
 
Thank you so much! I currently work as a scribe so I was able to arrange to work my shifts with a DO doctor in the ED. So it technically was not "shadowing," but I was able to observe him and talk to him about being a DO. He also agreed to writing me a letter so I am happy!

Good luck to you!