is it too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too late for me to apply to POD school? I can get a letter from a DPM, I also have a solid mcat (32-36 range, well balanced all sections above a 10.) and a decent sci and cum gpa of between 3.4 - 3.7

I'd submit my app this week, and depending on when it gets verified I'd ideally be able to submit an application come...January. Would I still have a decent shot at getting in for Fall 2011, and specifically which schools should I target/call?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to speculate,

but it seems like if you are applying at this time, you were most likely applying to some some other professional school such as Med school, dental school, DO school right? and didn't get any interviews.

If POD your 2nd or 3rd choice, I would say to stop, breath and not to rush into anything. Is re-applying to med school and losing a year really that big of a deal? It's only one year vs being stuck with a career that you don't even love plus a 6 figure debt.

Anyways, yes you can apply now. Classes are probably about 1/2 full. You def. have a shot with those scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply now! I'm told applying before January is considered "early". Remember, most DPM schools interview into the early Spring.

You have excellent stats. Again, just BE SURE you can see yourself doing this as a career; shadow a pod, and good luck! :thumbup:

I see i see.

Well.... you still have to hear back from the MD programs

BUt why not DO? DO these days can get into surgery programs. IN fact, Gen. Surgery isn't that hard to get in compared to other types

Also, just so you know, with the recent change to 3 year residency, there is a shortage of Pod residency.

Just be sure you know what you are doing. Also, salary is not as good as a MD. You do not get the respect of a MD or DO. Jobs are harder to find, insurance is harder to enroll into, etc etc etc

How many hours have you shadowed and how many different practices have u shadowed?

Shadow a pod. If you like it as much as you think you will then apply.

If you don't like it, hold out for an MD program. If the numbers you say you have are accurate, and you apply broadly, then you'll get in somewhere. A DO program shouldn't be anything more than a backup if you are interested in surgery...unless you have some yearning to learn OMM?

The pod residency shortage isn't as big of an issue as people make it out to be. If you decide on applying to DPM programs and want the breakdown of all the numbers you'll hear people throw around, PM me. At least you'll get accurate info that way.

As for pay and job opportunities...well, podsoon doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Although, depending on your practice situation I agree that insurance companies can be a pain (but they seem to be a pain for every billing physician).

All in all, podiatry is a great medical specialty. You just have to be sure you are doing it because you want to do the work, and not because mom and dad want you to be a "Dr."