Is it too much to go into a specialty for my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewardess3900

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m thinking about my personal statement and how to word why I want to go into medicine. Basically I am really interested in developmental disorders and education systems in low income communities, and it has spurred my passion for what I want to do as a doctor. My resume speaks to that and I can back that passion up with my major, volunteer experience, my research, and my work experience. All this leads to my interest in a very niche field in pediatrics, but I don’t want to come off as narrow-minded or focusing on medicine only to work in this very niche field.

I want to make it clear why I want to go to medical school, not why I want to follow this specific niche pathway 6 years into the future. How do I navigate writing my PS and making it clear my interest in medicine without mentioning or leading my conclusion to this field? Can I talk about all those experiences and how they led me to pursue medicine or should I find a broader reason I want to become a doctor? I don’t want it to seem like I’d be better off in another field other than medicine either. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.