Is it too soon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PamBeasLizLemo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have interviewed at 2 PhD programs in the past month. Neither have given out any acceptances yet, and might not until April 1st. I have been searching through the RA jobs in my area and have found some perfect placements that I would love to work at. Some of them say they have start dates of June, some don't say anything. I'm wondering: Do you think it's too soon to start applying? There is no guarantee one way or the other that I Will or won't be accepted into a program, and it seems that everyone is applying for jobs right now at my undergraduate school. I worry that if I was hired (which would be awesome) that I wouldn't know if I had gotten into graduate school yet, and would be stuck in a very strange situation. What are you all doing for backup plans? Have you started searching and applying, or are you waiting until you hear from your interview sites? Thanks for any advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have interviewed at 2 PhD programs in the past month. Neither have given out any acceptances yet, and might not until April 1st. I have been searching through the RA jobs in my area and have found some perfect placements that I would love to work at. Some of them say they have start dates of June, some don't say anything. I'm wondering: Do you think it's too soon to start applying? There is no guarantee one way or the other that I Will or won't be accepted into a program, and it seems that everyone is applying for jobs right now at my undergraduate school. I worry that if I was hired (which would be awesome) that I wouldn't know if I had gotten into graduate school yet, and would be stuck in a very strange situation. What are you all doing for backup plans? Have you started searching and applying, or are you waiting until you hear from your interview sites? Thanks for any advice!!

I've been job searching, but I only have one viable grad school option that I am still waiting for. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. If you do apply for a job, you probably won't hear from them for a few weeks anyways, which gives you more time to see if the grad schools accept you. And if you do get a job offer, ask if you can wait until April 15th to decide. I'm sure most RA jobs would totally understand.

I was in the same situation as you last year and I started interviewing for RA positions at the end of feb way before I knew that I hadn't recieved any offers

I was honest with all the places I interviewed at and let them know as soon as I knew about my availability- I think my goal of attending grad school helped me (it really shows that you're dedicated to research and you're likely to put in extra work to secure awesome refs)

Taking a year off seemed like the end of the world for me last year (I figured that being a top student with good gres was more than enough)- but it has been a really great experience that has given me some amazing clinical experince in diagnostics and has focused my research interests (I've also recieved 3 offers)
I definitely recomend it!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in the process of trying to find a RA job....and it seems like most positions are for 2 years....is it even possible to have a 1 year job as an RA? would a lab even hire someone for just a year?

i'm in the process of trying to find a RA job....and it seems like most positions are for 2 years....is it even possible to have a 1 year job as an RA? would a lab even hire someone for just a year?

You can certainly ask, but it might not be worth it for either you or them. Remember, application season starts again in November(ish), so at that point, the people who would be writing your letters would have known you for 9 months, which isn't really that long.

Just something to think about. I realize two years seems like a long time (and it is), but you should consider that 2 years might be worth more than twice what one year is.

Probably not. They have to train you, and if you only work there for one year they hardly have time to get to know you to write LoRs.

I think it's possible. When I took my RA position the PI knew that I was planning on going back to graduate school. He was/is extremely helpful in getting me experience (e.g. grant writing, pubs, posters) to make me a great candidate for school. When he wrote my letter I had only been here a little over a year with only 3 months of working with him full-time. I'm sure he would have written me a strong letter if it were only after 9 months too.

I think it's possible. When I took my RA position the PI knew that I was planning on going back to graduate school. He was/is extremely helpful in getting me experience (e.g. grant writing, pubs, posters) to make me a great candidate for school. When he wrote my letter I had only been here a little over a year with only 3 months of working with him full-time. I'm sure he would have written me a strong letter if it were only after 9 months too.

I had the same experience as stooge at my RA job. The PI i was for was/is extremely helpful and supportive when i applied last year, as well as this year. I think most people realize that RAs want to go forward with their academic and professional careers and will be supportive of that. My biggest advice, however, is to be upfront and honest as to your time line. If you plan to reapply to programs for fall 2010 that means you'll need letters in for Dec 2009, be honest during interviews and if you're hired that these are your plans. Good luck! :)

My biggest advice, however, is to be upfront and honest as to your time line. If you plan to reapply to programs for fall 2010 that means you'll need letters in for Dec 2009, be honest during interviews and if you're hired that these are your plans. Good luck! :)

What she said.

I just interviewed for an RA position, and they were pretty firm in the two year commitment. The interviewer said some people had left early in the past, but most faculty refuse to write LORs for people who left before 2 years. So make sure that if you got a position, you wouldn't burn bridges by leaving early. Also be aware that saying you only want to be there for a year in a job interview might put you at a disadvantage of even getting the position outright. Not that I'm saying to lie, but you might want to consider taking the 2 year commitment.

Although I'd like to reapply next year, this RA position would be a great opportunity if I get it, and its only one extra year in my whole life.

However, I am a few months shy of 22 and a graduating senior. It might be different for people a few years older than me.