is it true influential advisors/deans can call other residency programs and get you in with a phone call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineerbear

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I've called friends and written letters for students with no interviews and they went on to receive interviews. As far as " Getting someone in", that doesnt happen. It's up to the candidate.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are referring to medical school, no. Only the admissions committee can decide. LCME standard 10.2 (see last sentence):
10.2 Final Authority of Admission Committee
The final responsibility for accepting students to a medical school rests with a formally constituted admission committee. The authority and composition of the committee and the rules for its operation, including voting privileges and the definition of a quorum, are specified in bylaws or other medical school policies. Faculty members constitute the majority of voting members at all meetings. The selection of individual medical students for admission is not influenced by any political or financial factors.

If you are referring to PD's of residency programs, the answer is probably not. It is true that PD's and chairpersons have a lot more latitude than medical schools, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yes. Influential faculty can often grease the wheels significantly, especially in smaller specialties. "Get you in" isn't quite the right way to put it because the match is not an acceptance/rejection process, but they can definitely get you interviews and probably bump people up rank lists.

Reactions: 4 users
My only T20 interview came after my PI did some talking. Maybe a single person can’t make the decision but that single person can be a “no” that turns to a “yes” or the single person who speaks on your behalf to the committee.

Edit: this is for med school, not residency

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Can

I see, I am referring to residency programs. If someone is nationally known, and makes a call for you to a residency program they have contacts at, could that secure you a spot? Someone was telling me this but I am unsure of that actually being the case.
Interview, probably. A spot. No. PDs and their residents want to know that you're a good teammate and a decent human being.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, that's probably how it works. Given that your interview is OK, that might happen. Depends on how powerful that advisor is and how big a favor he's calling in - and how well you interview. I'm sure it's happened before - a mediocre candidate gets a phone call made on their behalf and they're in. It can certainly grease the wheels.

depends on how influential your recommender is. I have a friend currently in med school who had a 3.3 and a 501. His dad plays golf with the person whose name is on the med school he attends. This is most likely not a coincidence

depends on how influential your recommender is. I have a friend currently in med school who had a 3.3 and a 501. His dad plays golf with the person whose name is on the med school he attends. This is most likely not a coincidence
Is this influential person David Geffen by any chance?

• Hmm