Is it worth applying to DO schools with my stats (DO shadowing was cancelled due to COVID-19)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAMING4FUNN

Reaction score
Virginia resident

Neuroscience Major

Community College (2 years) - 4.0 GPA

University (2 Years) - 3.78 GPA

Combined - 3.89 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA

MCAT Score - 505 (From 2018)

(C/P - 126) (Cars - 123) (B/B - 128) (P/S - 128)

Academic Achievement

Presidential Scholars List (Community College)

Extracurricular Activity (Non-clinical):

48 hours Medical Mentoring Program (Georgetown University Program for serving underrepresented and minority individuals by educating high school students)

Volunteer (Non-Clinical)

20 hours University Tutor (Chemistry Tutor)

100+ hours Public Hospital (Emergency Room and & Surgical Services Center)

100+ hours Different Public Hospital (Emergency Room and & Front Desk)

150+ hours Shadowing Doctor (Family Practice MD)

Externship (Clinical Non-Paid)

160 hours Clinical Medical Assistant (Cardiologist MD)

Employment (Clinical and Non-Clinical)

2000+ hours Customer Sales Associate (Retail)

650+ hours Clinical Technician in Public Hospital (Trauma ICU for level 1 Trauma Care)

Research:

300 hours Laboratory Research (How Bisphenol-A Induces Apoptosis and Oxidative Stress In Zebrafish)

Research Symposiums/Presentations:

4 hours (At my University)

4 hours (Updated Research After a Few Months at my University)

4 hours (Presented at the National Institute of Health - NIH)

Certifications:

Basic Life Support by the American Heart Association

Clinical Medical Assistant by the National Healthcareer Association

Currently, my plans for DO shadowing fell through because of COVID-19 but I have an MD LoR from a Cardiologist

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the schools accept MD LOR. Your stats are great for most of the DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. I would apply DO, only around 2 DO schools REQUIRE a DO LOR. A lot recommend it, but it is not needed. Mcat is a little low for MD, but you are competitive for DO. If you want a fall back and do not want to wait another year, apply DO!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I would apply DO, only around 2 DO schools REQUIRE a DO LOR. A lot recommend it, but it is not needed. Mcat is a little low for MD, but you are competitive for DO. If you want a fall back and do not want to wait another year, apply DO!

The MCAT might be useful for some lower tier MD schools but I have no issue with DO as I am not looking to get a competitive specialty like ortho, derm, surgery, etc. Thank you for the response!

Reactions: 1 user
You're above the median stats for almost every DO school, so, yes, it is worth applying DO this cycle. Familiarize yourself with osteopathic medicine and OMM, and be prepared to explain why you want a career as a DO. You don't necessarily need a DO letter. I didn't have one and received several interviews to DO schools. You'll find many people here that had the same experience.

You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. Include CUSOM and the VCOMs in your application. You could also receive interviews at some MD schools.

Go DO, but you can probably be quite selective - albeit not too picky however.
You won't get any MD nods with that MCAT.

Dude you are good to go for any DO school. You may even be competitive for a couple of in-state MD schools. Are you URM ?

I was invited to interview at most of the DO schools I applied to, and I only had MD shadowing. I don't think the DO letter matters. Apply to DO school, you have really good grades but you're MCAT is pretty low.

I was invited to interview at most of the DO schools I applied to, and I only had MD shadowing. I don't think the DO letter matters. Apply to DO school, you have really good grades but you're MCAT is pretty low.
I agree TBH seems like a DO letter doesn't matter but how did you answer the question "Why Osteopathic Medicine" or any OMM related qs without shadowing a DO ?

I agree TBH seems like a DO letter doesn't matter but how did you answer the question "Why Osteopathic Medicine" or any OMM related qs without shadowing a DO ?
Because they're the same. Same Step (most students take USMLE), same rotations, same residencies... Say you're interested in a mixed medical education that includes some physical therapy and chiropractic.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Go DO, but you can probably be quite selective - albeit not too picky however.
You won't get any MD nods with that MCAT.

Yeah, I am kinda pushing it with my MD applications however, when I applied in my first cycle I had 1 interview which led to a waitlist. This was an application with 0 hours of clinical experience. I now changed that. So we will see with MD. Hopefully...

Yes according to the average allopathic MCAT scores it is. I was supposed to retake May of 2020 but it got cancelled due to COVID. After talking to a variety of DO directors, they suggested I submit my app with my old MCAT as opposed to the new one which I would have taken in September. The main issue was rolling admissions. I made a big mistake in my first cycle with 0 hours of clinical experience and submitting secondaries in late September with a couple in December and January of the following year.

You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. Include CUSOM and the VCOMs in your application. You could also receive interviews at some MD schools.

Yes! My main goal is to get into VCOM. I messaged some students who were accepted for the class of 2020 a month ago and many of them stated they had no DO shadowing or DO LoR. In fact according to VCOM they will provide acceptance under the condition you provide a DO LoR prior to matriculation. My intention is to shadow my originally planned DO doctor in late summer. Originally the shadowing was scheduled for March of 2020.....but COVID came in lol

Yeah, I am kinda pushing it with my MD applications however, when I applied in my first cycle I had 1 interview which led to a waitlist. This was an application with 0 hours of clinical experience. I now changed that. So we will see with MD. Hopefully...
I'm a VCOM second year. PM me if you'd like.

I'm a VCOM second year. PM me if you'd like.

That is awesome! I am currently at work so I will message you once I am home. However, to begin the convo, Can you PM your GPA & MCAT score? Did you get more than 1 acceptance besides VCOM?

That is awesome! I am currently at work so I will message you once I am home. However, to begin the convo, Can you PM your GPA & MCAT score? Did you get more than 1 acceptance besides VCOM?
Incoming first year DO student here, you will be great for all DO schools, try not to stress too much about it. A mistake I and many others make during the process !