Is it worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zach123!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a UCF senior graduating in the Fall. Just got my MCAT results (497), and I am seriously disappointed as I scored a 510 on FL4 a week before the exam, so I'm not really sure what happened. I am just curious if it is still worth applying DO this cycle. My stats are as follows:

3.0 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA
497 MCAT
~ 2,000 paid clinical hours (work in the OR as an anesthesia tech and used to be a transporter, hours are split between 3 hospitals). I am getting 2 letters of recommendation- one from a DO anesthesiologist, and the other from an MD general & vascular surgeon, who is very well known throughout Florida.
~ 500 shadowing hours with a variety of surgical subspecialties
~ 200 non-clinical volunteering hours at a local assisted living facility

I also worked about 40 hours every week throughout college, sometimes 30 hours but never lower than that. Spent a lot of time in the ER with a heart condition (all good now), and that is what sparked my interest in medicine, as well as a reason for my low GPA, as I missed a lot of classes my sophomore and junior year. Working full time, I have also missed many exams because my manager didn't care much. Missed 2 exams in my gen chemistry 1 class and still somehow passed. I haven't had smooth sailing through undergrad, but I am wondering if it is still worth applying to some DO schools this cycle? I would like to retake the MCAT in the first week of September, but work has been hectic so I am not sure that they will let me take off.

I am not against waiting to apply until next cycle, after an MCAT retake and maybe some graduate classes as a non-degree seeking student at UCF, but if there's a chance that I can get in now, then I'd like to take it. Thanks for any advice.

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

There is always a chance of getting in, however, it is quite slim. Since both of your GPAs and MCAT score are quite low, I would retake the MCAT and aim for a better application cycle next year, especially most of the interview invites will be virtual this year, which makes it really hard to sell yourself as a person imo.

Hello,

I am a UCF senior graduating in the Fall. Just got my MCAT results (497), and I am seriously disappointed as I scored a 510 on FL4 a week before the exam, so I'm not really sure what happened. I am just curious if it is still worth applying DO this cycle. My stats are as follows:

3.0 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA
497 MCAT
~ 2,000 paid clinical hours (work in the OR as an anesthesia tech and used to be a transporter, hours are split between 3 hospitals). I am getting 2 letters of recommendation- one from a DO anesthesiologist, and the other from an MD general & vascular surgeon, who is very well known throughout Florida.
~ 500 shadowing hours with a variety of surgical subspecialties
~ 200 non-clinical volunteering hours at a local assisted living facility

I also worked about 40 hours every week throughout college, sometimes 30 hours but never lower than that. Spent a lot of time in the ER with a heart condition (all good now), and that is what sparked my interest in medicine, as well as a reason for my low GPA, as I missed a lot of classes my sophomore and junior year. Working full time, I have also missed many exams because my manager didn't care much. Missed 2 exams in my gen chemistry 1 class and still somehow passed. I haven't had smooth sailing through undergrad, but I am wondering if it is still worth applying to some DO schools this cycle? I would like to retake the MCAT in the first week of September, but work has been hectic so I am not sure that they will let me take off.

I am not against waiting to apply until next cycle, after an MCAT retake and maybe some graduate classes as a non-degree seeking student at UCF, but if there's a chance that I can get in now, then I'd like to take it. Thanks for any advice.

@Goro
EDIT: I can't recommend applying now. Your stats are lethal for MD and DO. Autoreject at my school and many others.

Read this:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If my stats are lethal, why would I apply now? I assume it was a typo?

And I actually have your other post bookmarked already, as I have read it before. I was a year away from graduating with a business degree before switching to pre-med, so I am at about 160 credits, meaning undergrad GPA repair is probably not possible. In that case, a graduate program would best suffice, correct? Would it be acceptable to do a non-degree seeking graduate program at my current undergrad (UCF)? They offer an interesting M.S. in cancer biology or neuroscience, but do not have SMP's here. Would either of those be appealing to medical schools? I am not against going elsewhere, but UCF is rather convenient.

Last edited:
Reinvent yourself as per @Goro. Get your GPAs above 3.25 to open up doors to DO schools. When you're ready retake the MCAT and aim for 500 or above.

If you're aiming for MD, then do an SMP now.

Definitely don't apply this cycle. If you take post-bac classes you could produce a healthy upward trend that could be viewed favorably. It doesn't seem very prudent to have continued working for a boss that forced you to miss exams, definitely should prioritize grades and an increased MCAT if you are serious about applying to med schools IMO

Definitely don't apply this cycle. If you take post-bac classes you could produce a healthy upward trend that could be viewed favorably. It doesn't seem very prudent to have continued working for a boss that forced you to miss exams, definitely should prioritize grades and an increased MCAT if you are serious about applying to med schools IMO

Unfortunately I am an independent student so I really need(ed) the money, and it was an easy job at a hospital that allowed me to interact closely with surgeons. Did not have much of a choice :(

2 things you need to improve gpa>3.2 and MCAT >500 that will open more doors for you.

And I actually have your other post bookmarked already, as I have read it before. I was a year away from graduating with a business degree before switching to pre-med, so I am at about 160 credits, meaning undergrad GPA repair is probably not possible. In that case, a graduate program would best suffice, correct? Would it be acceptable to do a non-degree seeking graduate program at my current undergrad (UCF)? They offer an interesting M.S. in cancer biology or neuroscience, but do not have SMP's here. Would either of those be appealing to medical schools? I am not against going elsewhere, but UCF is rather convenient.
Doing well in an SMP gives you the best odds. I think anyone who completed one will tell you that working at all will potentially set you up for failure. Theyre also expensive.

You should try and retake that MCAT. That’ll help you a lot if you hit that 510.

Unfortunately, I don’t find it likely that schools will take it easier on you because of work and illness. Often times, they’ll wonder why you didnt withdraw or take an LOA until things were sorted out.

If you hit 510 on FL practice and got sub500 on the real test, I would suggest a retake. Keep reviewing those material and actually think through what went wrong during the actual MCAT. Were you nervous? did you have timing issue? Was it the mask that made it uncomfortable? (if so I actually suggest you to do FL WITH A MASK lol) The key to success is to practice everything like it's the real one, down to the last bit of detail.

You get screened-off before schools even bother to read into your explanation. It's the cold harsh truth but schools have many other applicants on hand who have better stats and many schools might not risk a II or even a secondary to you :(

Apply to every school you can (avoid the older better ones, target ALL newer and less known ones) and you have a SLIM chance.

Many students get in with sub-500 MCAT each year, however they typically will have higher GPA. You have BOTH low.

It was indeed a typo.

In that case, a graduate program would best suffice, correct?

Either a DIY-postbac, a post-pac for career switchers, or an SMP.

Would it be acceptable to do a non-degree seeking graduate program at my current undergrad (UCF)?

Yes

They offer an interesting M.S. in cancer biology or neuroscience, but do not have SMP's here. Would either of those be appealing to medical schools?
For DO, yes, but not MD if these are research based MS programs.

Apply to every school you can (avoid the older better ones, target ALL newer and less known ones) and you have a SLIM chance.

Many students get in with sub-500 MCAT each year, however they typically will have higher GPA. You have BOTH low.
This is advice so ignorant that it's almost malicious. As the wise Angus has pointed out, the OP has yet to demonstrate that s/he can handle med school. No med school will be doing OP any favors by admitting such a high risk student.

Reactions: 1 users
This is advice so ignorant that it's almost malicious. As the wise Angus has pointed out, the OP has yet to demonstrate that s/he can handle med school. No med school will be doing OP any favors by admitting such a high risk student.
My message pretty much reads: you can apply and see what happens, but you aren't too competitive so maybe it needs work.
Not malicious, sorry you felt that way Goro.

What you said is not inaccurate, I think just inartful. Our bottom quartile is filled with many lower stat students, and not this low. This group consists of the usual suspects having course failures, remediations, board failures, and repeating academic years. This results in limited opportunites for residencies and where they might match.OP might pull off an admission somewhere, but is it really in their best interest? Some students with low stats can be successful in med school, but its very hard to know which ones will. Our students are our product and their success becomes our success as they pass boards and match at good programs. Accepting students before we feel they are ready serves neither.

• Love
A few paths you could take
- LECOM's MMS. You will get in with your stats. Guaranteed interview, basically guaranteed acceptance as long as you do well in the masters and interview.
- Raise MCAT and GPA with post-bacc.
- screw the MCAT, land a 3.7+ in SMP (not normal masters)
- do both the MCAT and SMP program

Up to you.

I heard LECOMs MMS is no cake walk. Be ready to work. My friends kid went there. 3.7 Chem major from a small liberal arts pre med mill, sub 500 MCAT. Didn't make the grade cutoff for admission. Got the interview and permanent wait list. It sounds enticing, but its aparently very similar to the first year of med school.

Sorry to hear about your situation OP. Had a similar MCAT situation, ended with a 498. However, can't recommend applying at all with low GPA's as well as low MCAT. My school screens at 3.2 cGPA and sGPA and I haven't heard of hardly any classmates being accepted with a sub-497 MCAT. EC's look solid from what you posted, so all focus must go on crushing MCAT next time around and looking into SMP with linkage and acing it. Also, read @Goro guide to reinvention - I followed it religiously in my gap year! If you have any questions, feel free to PM and good luck!