Is it worth it to defer med school for a 10 week research internship.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the best option?

• Defer a year take the MD Anderson internship.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take the MD Anderson internship and go to MCW, somehow manage to move my stuff in 3 days.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Take the internship and go to SIU, this should give you plenty of time to move ~15 miles.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Turn down the MD Anderson internship and relax for the summer before medical school.

Votes: 57 76.0%

• Total voters

dgsilvervid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever worth it to defer med school for a year for a 10 week summer research internship? The research opportunity is at MD Anderson. *there is no flexibility in the internship dates*

The issue I am having is the internship schedule goes up to Aug 9th ... one of my med school options starts on the 12th(MCW) and it is out of state, another starts the 15th (Southern Illinois University) and it is local. Clearly the out of state option would be pretty intense logistically to pull off.

I am also waitlisted at my top choice, if accepted there.. the internship would totally clash with academic schedule at that institution. What is the likelihood that if offered a position here if I do accept the internship I could defer a year or something of that nature? (Mayo)

I am supposed to commit to the internship tomorrow by 5pm.

I am interested in a ROAD residency so I can see this internship being an important stepping stone in setting my research works into motion.

What do you guys think, this is fairly difficult :/ ?

Other details total cost of attendance SIU - $221,445. MCW - $266,498.
I haven't received any financial aid information from either institution yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what else would you do with your year off? Travel? More research? I don't think deferring purely for a 10 week internship makes any sense. If you're that set on doing research, take a gap year after M2, or come up with a project you can do during the summer between M1 and M2.

Why can't you do research at any of the medical schools that you were accepted into?

Is your name guaranteed on a publication in a journal with an IF>30 at this internship?

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, not worth it to defer. Either do the internship and move in a short amount of time, or decline the internship and enjoy a free summer.

I'm not familiar with that internship program at all, but from my experience with summer internships, you're very unlikely to publish in that short amount of time unless you're jumping on a project that's almost done. You're also probably not likely to continue that research into medical school because PI's at school will have their own agendas and projects, so I wouldn't really consider it a "stepping stone." The internship will not be as important as research you do in medical school when looked at by residencies.

I'd go with SIU since it's in state, you'll have more time to move your life, and it's substantially cheaper. If you get a large fin aid package to MCW, it's really not impossible to make the move in 3 days, esp since you can just take the essentials and move everything later.

Why can't you do research at any of the medical schools that you were accepted into?

Is your name guaranteed on a publication in a journal with an IF>30 at this internship?

No Guarantee.

I could do research at MCW, maybe that is the better option.
If I was to go to SIU I can't do any research until the summer between M1-M2. Unless I did it before I started M1.

I believe all I am guaranteed is a poster presentation out of this.

Not that big of a deal. Go to the internship if you want to, but really 10 weeks is nothing special and it is not going to even compare to doing, say, 10 hours a week during your first year at whatever medical school you attend. Definitely don't defer for the sake of it. Further, what are they going to do if you leave a day or two early? Get you kicked out of medical school? Go to the school you want and go to the internship if you want. If you get into Mayo, leave early if necessary. I think you will find that they are much more understanding than their letters and website suggest, but again this research opportunity isn't likely to be a huge leap for you in terms of matching into your specialty of choice. Do you already have a project? A poster presentation (likely local) isn't worth killing yourself for.

Well, what else would you do with your year off? Travel? More research? I don't think deferring purely for a 10 week internship makes any sense. If you're that set on doing research, take a gap year after M2, or come up with a project you can do during the summer between M1 and M2.

My other options for the year is essentially continue working as a nurse, pay down some consumer debt, which reducing my debt may decrease M1 stress quite a bit.

My other options for the year is essentially continue working as a nurse, pay down some consumer debt, which reducing my debt may decrease M1 stress quite a bit.

How does this debt compare to the amount of debt you're about to accrue? That's probably not worth it either. If the debt is on high-interest credit cards, you can pay them down with loan money (which is what I'm doing). If I were you, I wouldn't defer. You will have plenty of time to do research throughout medical school if it's something you're really set on doing.

Not that big of a deal. Go to the internship if you want to, but really 10 weeks is nothing special and it is not going to even compare to doing, say, 10 hours a week during your first year at whatever medical school you attend. Definitely don't defer for the sake of it. Further, what are they going to do if you leave a day or two early? Get you kicked out of medical school? Go to the school you want and go to the internship if you want. If you get into Mayo, leave early if necessary. I think you will find that they are much more understanding than their letters and website suggest, but again this research opportunity isn't likely to be a huge leap for you in terms of matching into your specialty of choice. Do you already have a project? A poster presentation (likely local) isn't worth killing yourself for.

Leaving early hell.. even accepting and then saying actually I cant go before I get there has me a bit stressed out. I like the idea of them being flexible. I would hope they would understand if I was accepted to my top choice. I don't have a project and I don't know who I will be paired with as a mentor. They stated they will work to fit us to a mentor that matches our interests but again thats no guarantee.

Please don't consider wasting a year for a possible publication. While it might look good to have it on your application having done sustained research at your medical school will look just as good and likely lead to LORs, publications, etc. Don't set your life back a year over this!

Survivor DO

No Guarantee.

I could do research at MCW, maybe that is the better option.
If I was to go to SIU I can't do any research until the summer between M1-M2. Unless I did it before I started M1.

I believe all I am guaranteed is a poster presentation out of this.

Doesn't sound like it's worth it to do this summer internship.

Doing your M1 and research at the same time at MCW will give you more time to contribute to/develop a research project and get published.

Thanks for the feedback, if anyone else has some other thoughts please post.

Ever worth it to defer med school for a year for a 10 week summer research internship? The research opportunity is at MD Anderson. *there is no flexibility in the internship dates*

The issue I am having is the internship schedule goes up to Aug 9th ... one of my med school options starts on the 12th(MCW) and it is out of state, another starts the 15th (Southern Illinois University) and it is local. Clearly the out of state option would be pretty intense logistically to pull off.

I am also waitlisted at my top choice, if accepted there.. the internship would totally clash with academic schedule at that institution. What is the likelihood that if offered a position here if I do accept the internship I could defer a year or something of that nature? (Mayo)

I am supposed to commit to the internship tomorrow by 5pm.

I am interested in a ROAD residency so I can see this internship being an important stepping stone in setting my research works into motion.

What do you guys think, this is fairly difficult :/ ?

Other details total cost of attendance SIU - $221,445. MCW - $266,498.
I haven't received any financial aid information from either institution yet.

No

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't consider wasting a year for a possible publication. While it might look good to have it on your application having done sustained research at your medical school will look just as good and likely lead to LORs, publications, etc. Don't set your life back a year over this!

Survivor DO

Pre-meds do the darndest things. :rolleyes:

Even though in this case it's actually an accepted student.

kids-say-the-darndest-things-bill-cosby.jpg

UG is over. Let go of it. You will get zero benefit (unless they're paying you) for this internship and will use up the last of your responsibility-free time.

They are paying me. Its not a ton of money but they will be paying me if I do the internship.

Pre-meds do the darndest things. :rolleyes:

Even though in this case it's actually an accepted student.

kids-say-the-darndest-things-bill-cosby.jpg

I know you had kinda spoke on this topic but do you think I should go ahead and commit to the internship?

I wouldn't. What are you realistically going to gain in ten weeks of research besides maybe a couple of grand?

I doubt med schools are going to let you defer for an internship that conflicts for about a week after school starts. In that case, this becomes a non-issue.

I vote that you not let the results of this poll affect your decision and do what you feel is best.

I vote that you not let the results of this poll affect your decision and do what you feel is best.

I def am not going to let an SDN poll make my decision for me and in the end I will do what I feel is best, but I needed to bounce it off some other people. Such a tough choice hearing some feedback helps. I wish Mayo would make my mind up for me though!

I wouldn't. What are you realistically going to gain in ten weeks of research besides maybe a couple of grand?

I doubt med schools are going to let you defer for an internship that conflicts for about a week after school starts. In that case, this becomes a non-issue.

I dont know maybe I am being silly about things, but 40hrs a week for 10 weeks I have a feeling I could gain quite a few skills that would let me function more independently when I have the opportunity in medical school to do additional research work.

Don't defer med school for this--and don't pick your med school just to make an internship more convenient! (I'm kind of confused why you applied for an internship for the summer before med school in the first place.) If you're set on doing research, you could take a year off between M3 and M4 or something and have a whole year's worth of research, not just 10 weeks. You should either:

(a) Accept the internship. If you don't get into Mayo, do the internship, and just deal with moving in a short period of time. I spent all of undergrad going back and forth across coasts to move into college and move back home for the summer. It's not as hard as you'd think. If you get into Mayo, back out of the internship or leave early. If you would not be comfortable backing out of the internship or leaving early,

(b) Turn down the internship, and go to the med school you like the best, whether it's SIU or MCW or Mayo, if you get in.

Do most schools let their students defer their admission by a year? You should probably seek the answer to this question first before entertaining its possibility.

Don't defer med school for this--and don't pick your med school just to make an internship more convenient! (I'm kind of confused why you applied for an internship for the summer before med school in the first place.) If you're set on doing research, you could take a year off between M3 and M4 or something and have a whole year's worth of research, not just 10 weeks. You should either:

(a) Accept the internship. If you don't get into Mayo, do the internship, and just deal with moving in a short period of time. I spent all of undergrad going back and forth across coasts to move into college and move back home for the summer. It's not as hard as you'd think. If you get into Mayo, back out of the internship or leave early. If you would not be comfortable backing out of the internship or leaving early,

(b) Turn down the internship, and go to the med school you like the best, whether it's SIU or MCW or Mayo, if you get in.

I feel like research is one of my weaknesses and looking forward to residency I thought doing a program like this could help me, as stated above, help me to build skills before med school so I can do do more effective research work during me school. I realize stuff like pre-studying is silly but In my mind I reasoned a case for an internship.

As far as your point b, bailing out on an internship half way through it or something seems like something I wouldn't be comfortable doing.

Do most schools let their students defer their admission by a year? You should probably seek the answer to this question first before entertaining its possibility.

Yeah. If they allow it, you could defer admission for one year, do the internship, and take a gap year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.

I would do the internship and go to SIU. There's no real advantage to go to MCW unless you feel that you would be unhappy at SIU. Also, you could always talk to the internship person to give you the last week off in exchange to work on Saturdays at the lab to make up the 5 days. Sometimes PIs can be very accommodating.

I would do the internship and go to SIU. There's no real advantage to go to MCW unless you feel that you would be unhappy at SIU. Also, you could always talk to the internship person to give you the last week off in exchange to work on Saturdays at the lab to make up the 5 days. Sometimes PIs can be very accommodating.
'

Do the bold.
Any money, you can earn more as a nurse.
Publication not worth it as you're already in med school (clearly your research was not the weakest thing) and research at your school or through your school channels is worth it more.
It's your last summer. Relax, travel.

10 weeks of full time research and then jumping right into M1 year just sounds like a mistake to me. Enjoy your last summer and don't do the internship. Plenty of time for research once med schools starts. Worry about relaxing to do well in med school, this is your career after all! Burning out is a real possibility.

But then again, what do I know. do what you think will make you happy. Good luck.

I would go on vacations and get intoxicated, be promiscuous, etc. deferring an acceptance to med school for an internship sounds like a bad deal to me.

Its explicitly stated that they do not allow people to start a week later or leave a week earlier unfortunately.

I believe I am going to turn down the internship. That will reduce my summer stress and let me relax over my last summer. Hopefully I can make a couple bucks as a nurse and keep my options open for whatever school I end up at. It will give me time to move whenever I want and keep my schedule open for Mayo if they let me in.

Deferring a year would suck... But I dream of a doing a rad onc res at MD Anderson! Making contacts there could have a big impact, but waiting a whole year to start school... I feel for you. Tough to turn down that opportunity. Good luck with Mayo. They have an incredible.program as we'll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using SDN Mobile

Turn down the internship. Set yourself up for success in medical school by resting/relaxing over summer and being mentally ready for the start of M1. You can definitely do research during the first summer, or take a year off between M3 and M4 as someone else stated.

Publication not worth it as you're already in med school (clearly your research was not the weakest thing) and research at your school or through your school channels is worth it more.
This is completely false. Research is worth the same no matter where you are. It's not like having a year of medicine under your belt magically makes your publication/research stronger.

This is completely false. Research is worth the same no matter where you are. It's not like having a year of medicine under your belt magically makes your publication/research stronger.

Agreed. I think the above poster isn't looking at the long term and is more worried about AMCAS.

This is silly. If you want to go to medical school, go to medical school. It's not like they don't have research there or that you can't do research in medical school.