Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread is giving me terrible anxiety as I prepare for interviews at 31 years of age.
Unless you plan to withdraw your apps, you should stop reading it then. Seriously.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you plan to withdraw your apps, you should stop reading it then. Seriously.
I'm wondering if I need to read more of these to decide whether or not to withdraw my apps??
Tho, at this point, I'm going to go through with it. Not 100% sure I will go if I get in.

You live! You're back! Was wondering where you ran off to :) Fellowship somewhere?
Yes, I'm here. Though I'm lurking more these days as the nuts and bolts of getting into med school are not really my wheelhouse any more.

I'm wondering if I need to read more of these to decide whether or not to withdraw my apps??
Tho, at this point, I'm going to go through with it. Not 100% sure I will go if I get in.
The point I'm trying to make is that there is for sure a time for doing copious due diligence, but that is is BEFORE you apply, not midway through the app season. If you've done the prereqs, shadowed, volunteered, taken the MCAT, submitted your AMCAS, completed your secondaries, asked for LORs, and accepted some interview invites, an outsider would understandably conclude that you had made the decision to go forward with medical school. If you've made the decision to go forward, then no good is served by continuing to question the wisdom of your decision (such as by reading SDN threads that raise doubts in your mind). Accept the uncertainty of the app process and live with it as you move forward. No one is "100% sure" they will get in, but most applicants are 100% sure they will go if they do get in.

That being said, if you're still on the fence and haven't truly committed, then the answer to your question is yes, you should withdraw. Medical training is hard enough even when you are 100% committed, and none of my colleagues wants to waste their time (or yours) training someone who doesn't want to be here, ESPECIALLY given that you're an adult in your 30s. Odds are good that if you're still honestly questioning whether you really want to do this (as opposed to getting cold feet/nerves, which happens to everyone when they face a major change in life), then the answer at least for right now is that you don't want to do it. And in that case you would be right to withdraw until you are ready.

Reactions: 1 user