Is it worth it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCOMLover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just found out that I didn't get the HPSP scholarship :eek: (shocker to me because I just figured that all you had to do was apply) so I'm wondering if I should ever apply again or just suck it up and pay for med school like 95% of the students are doing. So I thought that i would ask you guys...what should be my next move? Apply again or just let it go?

Members don't see this ad.

I think only you can answer that. My question is did you only apply to one service or did you apply to all three? I have a hard time believing that all 3 branches are meeting their recruiting quotas. I think you will find a lot of people wishing they never took the scholarship. For me, when I entered medical school I wanted to do 2 of the lowest paid specialties and was facing ~250,000 in loans. However, in med school I changed my mind and just figured I was going to get my residency that I applied for. I would easily of matched in the civilian world. However, there were 50 applicants for only 15 slots. Being that I had no prior military experience, was not an Academy grad, or a USUHS grad I was very low on the point system (Even with publications, good board scores, and high class rank). I guess the deck was already stacked against me. This is just my story, and everybody has a different one. I am going to be a Flight surgeon now and I guess if I could do it again, I probably would not choose to take the scholarship. However, I don't think Flight surgery will be that bad, actually seems really fun. Hope this helps, you just got to do whatever you think is in your best interest.

VCOMLover said:
Well I just found out that I didn't get the HPSP scholarship :eek: (shocker to me because I just figured that all you had to do was apply) so I'm wondering if I should ever apply again or just suck it up and pay for med school like 95% of the students are doing. So I thought that i would ask you guys...what should be my next move? Apply again or just let it go?

Do you mind posting your scores and history? I too am very surprised that you did not get the HpSP money.

Have you been accepted to medical school already?

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:
Do you mind posting your scores and history? I too am very surprised that you did not get the HpSP money.

Have you been accepted to medical school already?

Yep I'm in school...be starting my second year in Sept. I really don't know what went wrong...my feelings are a little hurt because i was told that a blind, one armed, half a legged person could get the scholarship so i'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I have a 3.4 GPA in school....MCAT was eh....not overweight, not sickly,....i can't imagine what i did wrong. And i only applied to the Navy.

deuist said:
The Air Force is the only branch that I'm aware of that is actually competitive. The other two are hurting for docs.

:( yeah that's the same thing that i've been hearing...i feel like the little reject that got picked last for kickball. But I did serious praying about it...and said that if it wasn't meant for me that God don't give it to me...becuase I don't want to be left with the decision of whether to accept or not. So i guess it just wasn't meant for me....but my feelings are still a little hurt about it.

VCOMLover said:
:( yeah that's the same thing that i've been hearing...i feel like the little reject that got picked last for kickball. But I did serious praying about it...and said that if it wasn't meant for me that God don't give it to me...becuase I don't want to be left with the decision of whether to accept or not. So i guess it just wasn't meant for me....but my feelings are still a little hurt about it.

the reason you didn't get it, in my opinion, is because of the serious praying you did. God heard your prayers and answered them in your BEST interest.

USAFdoc said:
the reason you didn't get it, in my opinion, is because of the serious praying you did. God heard your prayers and answered them in your BEST interest.

:)

VCOMLover said:
Yep I'm in school...be starting my second year in Sept. I really don't know what went wrong...my feelings are a little hurt because i was told that a blind, one armed, half a legged person could get the scholarship so i'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I have a 3.4 GPA in school....MCAT was eh....not overweight, not sickly,....i can't imagine what i did wrong. And i only applied to the Navy.

If you still want the Navy HPSP, contact me privately. I have a straight connection to CAPT Frost and all his cronies at BUMED and NMETC, who control the HPSP. I serve as one of his Professional Schools Liaison Officers and can bend his ear.

Please note: I'll be asking you a lot of personal questions about potential black flags in your application to read between the lines of their declination.

VCOMLover said:

I am surprised that you didn't get it as well. Its probably bc your school is too expensive. Take it as a sign and a blessing. I know the costs of osteopathic schools can be huge, but just suck it up for four years-- other people do it, so its possible for you. At the end of school, you can decide your own destination. Working off your debt after residency, FAP... whatever. The option will be yours, not some bureaucrat in the government.
M

MeganRose said:
I am surprised that you didn't get it as well. Its probably bc your school is too expensive. Take it as a sign and a blessing. I know the costs of osteopathic schools can be huge, ......................M

I would respectfully disagree with that analysis. I was accepted to VCOM class of 2010, and this summer was offered HPSP by both Army and Navy. The $30,000++ tuition didn't faze them one bit. Also consider this: their recruiting numbers are so low they gave me a serious age waiver. I'm 49.

Members don't see this ad :)
USAFdoc said:

That's the funniest thing I've read all night. I know that some of the former attendings like to insult HPSP, but your post is by far the most clever.

trinityalumnus said:
I would respectfully disagree with that analysis. I was accepted to VCOM class of 2010, and this summer was offered HPSP by both Army and Navy. The $30,000++ tuition didn't faze them one bit. Also consider this: their recruiting numbers are so low they gave me a serious age waiver. I'm 49.

Quite true. My school is almost $40,000 after tuition, fees, insurance, etc. and I still got the Army scholarship.

Being rejected for HPSP is not unheard of. I know of a couple around here who were not picked up: one was AF and the other Navy.

There may be something in the personal background of the applicant that resulted in the rejection.

HooahDOc said:
Quite true. My school is almost $40,000 after tuition, fees, insurance, etc. and I still got the Army scholarship.

Being rejected for HPSP is not unheard of. I know of a couple around here who were not picked up: one was AF and the other Navy.

There may be something in the personal background of the applicant that resulted in the rejection.

Antecdote (i.e. two people) doesn't equal fact. I stand by my opinion that the high cost of the OP school could have affected his chance of getting the scholarship. And I'll add my own antecdote. :) I applied to all three branches of ROTC out of HS, Nat'l Merit semi-finalist, Senior class president, 4.1 GPA, IB grad, etc and didn't get picked up by AF for a scholarship to Duke. I did get picked up for a limited 20,000/yr scholarship from the Army. My AF recruiter said he wasnt surprised, he explained that selection for high cost schools like Duke was lower bc they just weren't a good deal for DoD-- they could give multiple level one scholarships (or whatever the term was) for the scholarship that would've been necessary to send me to Duke. I know that for MPH degrees for Flight surgeons, its the same way. A few high cost slots and then low cost slots. I can't see why HPSP would be any different. Congrats to you both on getting the scholarship but simple economics makes sense, the military can get at least two people with an 8yr contract for what they are paying for each of you individually-- undoubtedly making the cost of VCOM a factor that may've hindered his selection. But I also agree that there may've been other personal factors as well... At any rate, like I said before, those of us that got the scholarship may not really be the lucky ones after all... ;)

HooahDOc said:

Agreed. Applied and was accepted for the hpsp via the Navy with a stellar GPA, hard major, and mediocre DAT score. Really shocks me that the applicant did not get in, the Navy is dying for doctors.

dexadental said:
Agreed. Applied and was accepted for the hpsp via the Navy with a stellar GPA, hard major, and mediocre DAT score. Really shocks me that the applicant did not get in, the Navy is dying for doctors.

Yeah that's what everyone is telling me. "i just don't see why you didn't get in...they really need doctors". So I don't know if to be insulted, hurt, or really take it as a me really not meant to have the scholarship. I guess if i didn't keep hearing that everyone gets it my feelings wouldn't be as hurt. I think my stats are pretty good. Now my MCAT was blah...but I'm kicking butt in school and my undergrad i graduated Summa Cum Laude so for the life of me I just say that it was God and that's putting my mind at ease about it.

MeganRose said:
Antecdote (i.e. two people) doesn't equal fact. I stand by my opinion that the high cost of the OP school could have affected his chance of getting the scholarship. And I'll add my own antecdote. :) I applied to all three branches of ROTC out of HS, Nat'l Merit semi-finalist, Senior class president, 4.1 GPA, IB grad, etc and didn't get picked up by AF for a scholarship to Duke. I did get picked up for a limited 20,000/yr scholarship from the Army. My AF recruiter said he wasnt surprised, he explained that selection for high cost schools like Duke was lower bc they just weren't a good deal for DoD-- they could give multiple level one scholarships (or whatever the term was) for the scholarship that would've been necessary to send me to Duke. I know that for MPH degrees for Flight surgeons, its the same way. A few high cost slots and then low cost slots. I can't see why HPSP would be any different. Congrats to you both on getting the scholarship but simple economics makes sense, the military can get at least two people with an 8yr contract for what they are paying for each of you individually-- undoubtedly making the cost of VCOM a factor that may've hindered his selection. But I also agree that there may've been other personal factors as well... At any rate, like I said before, those of us that got the scholarship may not really be the lucky ones after all... ;)

I would expect that they are different for a couple of reasons, the biggest of which are the numbers involved. a few hundred HPSP vs thousands? of ROTC scholarships annually? The overwhelming numbers start to add up.

Also, you are recruiting two totally different types of individual. So the pots of money are different.

I'm sure the military would love to save money. But they do that when they have all the people they need, and then cut. If they aren't meeting quotas, I find it hard to see this happening.

VCOMLover said:
Was your application 100% correct? There could be something checked that shouldn't be or vise versa. Sounds to me it's a paperwork issue more than an expensive school. Expensive schools only come into play once the HPSP has reached a certain percentage of accepted applicants.....

OTOH it could be what USAF said. :laugh:

MeganRose said:
Antecdote (i.e. two people) doesn't equal fact. I stand by my opinion that the high cost of the OP school could have affected his chance of getting the scholarship.

Even though I and another just posted that we received the scholarship despite having tuition costs well over $30,000, one of us being from the same school the OP is attending? And that physicians who are already out of the program have stated that the cost of attendance does not matter?

I think it is infinitely more likely that there is a reason the OP is not disclosing or is unaware of.

As someone who tooks hpsp, did their residency in the AF, and served their commitment I would have much rather have been turned down for the scholarship and taken out the scary loans.... my life would have been much much better. Don't apply again and don't ever look back.

I think it is infinitely more likely that there is a reason the OP is not disclosing or is unaware of.[/QUOTE]

I can wholeheartly tell you that there is nothing that i can think of. No shady past or anything. I'm not going to say that my MCATs were stellar but I'm doing very well in med school so far. So it would have to be something that I'm unaware of. The fact that the rejection letter that they sent me was refering to me as a guy, and i'm female, do you think that would have something to do with it....maybe they thought that i was a transexual or something :laugh:

I can wholeheartly tell you that there is nothing that i can think of. No shady past or anything. I'm not going to say that my MCATs were stellar but I'm doing very well in med school so far. So it would have to be something that I'm unaware of. The fact that the rejection letter that they sent me was refering to me as a guy, and i'm female, do you think that would have something to do with it....maybe they thought that i was a transexual or something :laugh:[/QUOTE]

to the military, you would be just a number/billet. there in lies part of the problem. They probably had no idea you were transexual :laugh:

VCOMLover said:
I think it is infinitely more likely that there is a reason the OP is not disclosing or is unaware of.

I can wholeheartly tell you that there is nothing that i can think of. No shady past or anything. I'm not going to say that my MCATs were stellar but I'm doing very well in med school so far. So it would have to be something that I'm unaware of. The fact that the rejection letter that they sent me was refering to me as a guy, and i'm female, do you think that would have something to do with it....maybe they thought that i was a transexual or something :laugh:[/QUOTE]

In all likelyhood your MCATs killed you. You have not said what they are, but my guess is they were less than 23. The MCAT is the best single predictor of passing boards. An individual 7 increases the failure rate by 15%, a 6 by 35%+ and a 5 way up.

VCOM is a new school and unproven. They have yet to graduate their first class. If your MCATs were borderline to begin with, it makes you less appealing even if you are doing well in school.

Do well on part 1 of boards and then reapply, assuming you still want to.

NavyFP said:
In all likelyhood your MCATs killed you. You have not said what they are, but my guess is they were less than 23. The MCAT is the best single predictor of passing boards. An individual 7 increases the failure rate by 15%, a 6 by 35%+ and a 5 way up.

VCOM is a new school and unproven. They have yet to graduate their first class. If your MCATs were borderline to begin with, it makes you less appealing even if you are doing well in school.

Do well on part 1 of boards and then reapply, assuming you still want to.

Very possible I would think. This would fall under one of the, "undisclosed" things I mentioned. A low MCAT combined with VCOMs lack of reputation could very well have been the determining factor.

HooahDOc said:
Very possible I would think. This would fall under one of the, "undisclosed" things I mentioned. A low MCAT combined with VCOMs lack of reputation could very well have been the determining factor.

Oh ok...well that would make sense. Like i said my MCATs weren't stellar at all. So I guess that's what did it...but I know of a couple of people that had the same MCAT that i had a point lower and got the Air Force Scholarship...and that one is suppose to be more competitive. Eh...I'll get over it and just pay for school like the other 95% of students at my school. Don't think that i'll be reapplying for it what's done is done. But thanks for the convo guys really soothed my little hurt feelings.

I do remember during my initial interview with the recruiter that one of the important things I was asked was about my MCAT. It does seem to matter.

Regardless, it's probably best that you did not get it since you seem to be on the, "whatever" side of not getting the scholarship. There is always the Army who may take you if you're really upset about it; I think their minimum MCAT is a 22 or something.

The scholarship does make life as a student quite a bit better and some of the fringe benefits are pretty cool, but that is hardly a reason to do it. Do it for your country. Hooah!

HooahDOc said:
The scholarship does make life as a student quite a bit better and some of the fringe benefits are pretty cool, but that is hardly a reason to do it. Do it for your country. Hooah!

The scholarship, IMHO, should be sought by folks who:

1. want to serve as a military officer
2. specifically as a physician/dentist/etc
3. and who don't mind a serious obligation in return for financial support, with potential limitations/restrictions on their GME opportunities.

In that order.