Is it worth it?

Stupidheart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just celebrated a 1 year anniversary with my boyfriend who is in his first semester of med school. We have always been long distance but the communication had always been decent.
now I'm at odds b/c the communication is not what it should be in a "healthy relationship". People on the outside see a 5 min phone call once every few days as someone not giving me what I deserve, but I'm the one who is actually okay with it. I feel very influenced by my friends b/c they have never dated someone in a profession that takes up most of thier time.
We both love each other. But there is no light at the end of the tunnel. We both know breaking up is the "right" thing to do since with my profession, an actor, I can't be anywhere but where I am for my jobs, and he is 3 hours away doing what he needs to do. My weekends are taken up by my job and my weekdays are more free when he studies. I want to find a happy medium and stay with this man but it seems inevitable that it will end someday.
I see it as we are two great people great together in a bad situation. I love being that supportive person sending letters and texts of encouragement for studying and test taking. But I dont see an end for years and years. I dont want to give up this man but is it honestly the right thing to do? It doesn't feel right in my heart but my brain thinks its right. I do see a future with this guy.
is it better to be in a half-hearted relationship with someone who supports you or not one at all? When we do talk its still happy and laughing and reminding each other why we love each other so much. But the talking is becoming less and less, but 5 mins a day or every few days, but I can survive. I know the point of a relationship isn't to survive, but I'd rather be his support beam than nothing at all. Anyone understand and offer any advice?
Some thoughts are to go out there on my free days, take up doing what I need to do during the day or helping to do his errands and I get 6 hours of his arms around me during the night. I dont mind playing the role of the little housewife right now. But how do I make him not feel bad putting me in the situation when I don't have a problem with being there?
This is my first time reaching out to the Med school community to get your opinion vs. my friends in " healthy" relationships.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't feel any kind of nervous when you are doing a right thing !...... No one has time to talk about only you for whole day :whistle:... so just keep going with what you wan to do ! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be influenced by your friends.

But ummm if he's just in his first semester he should be able to spare more than five mins every few days.

BUT YOU DIDN'T HEAR IT FROM ME.

Sometimes we can love each other but circumstances mean that we have to find something that fits us better.

Before you can think of him and being a 'support beam' for him, you have to give yourself what you need and want and desire in a relationship. Your first and foremost duty is to yourself and in the present.

I think it's a mistake to delay your present in the chase of an elusive "Future together". Things change and people change. By 2nd or 3rd year or whever, he may realize that he doesn't want a relationship with you right now. It's definately a possibility to consider.

Ask yourself: Is what you have with him (5 min phone calls, not much personal attention, you are giving, giving etc). what you want and desire?

Fall in love and see the partner for who he is RIGHT NOW in the NOW and not some hypothetical "person" you believe that he'll become down the road.