Is it worth taking the PCAT early just as a test run?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or would it not be worth it if you just take some practise tests online.

Members don't see this ad.

definitely worth it, but choose the no score option. you will be able to get a feel of what the actual exam is like, what type of questions they ask, thus you will have an idea of how to pace yourself during the real exam

I agree, definitely worth it if you're okay with paying the fee. Just make sure to bubble in the no score option and you're good to go.

It is definitely worth it! You will get a chance to see your strengths and weaknesses.

Smart move!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did and it was the best thing ever. The first time I was able to get a feel for the questions and time constraints and pressures. From that experience I was able to pace myself much better the second time.

I did not choose the no score option because I wanted to know how good or bad I did in each section. Plus, I really didn't know if I had scored a 99 or a 9.

From the first experience, I was able to raise my composite score 30 points. I think that any score increase is a good thing.

Hope this helps.

I did and it was the best thing ever. The first time I was able to get a feel for the questions and time constraints and pressures. From that experience I was able to pace myself much better the second time.

I did not choose the no score option because I wanted to know how good or bad I did in each section. Plus, I really didn't know if I had scored a 99 or a 9.

From the first experience, I was able to raise my composite score 30 points. I think that any score increase is a good thing.

Hope this helps.

definitely, don't choose the "no score" option, dumbest thing.

guess i am the odd ball out here.

i don't think it is worth it.

one is naturally inclined to not prepare as sufficiently if you pre-determine that you won't "count" this effort....

there are lots of mock tests...just do them......do MCAT and DAT questions too, it will build up your mental stamina and acuity

Study very hard the first time you plan to write it so that you don't have to go through repeat attempts.

depends on you.

some people do well the first time, then not so good the next, and vice versa.

there's a chance your "best" could be the first time, but then you picked the no score and of course it wouldn't count.

then on the otherside, maybe you were totally unprepared for some reason and did below 50 composite. you have to keep in mind they'll reject a 50 point improvement unless you prove to them somehow that you did it on your own. i think it's a pretty stupid rule, but they do have somewhat of an argument.

If I am not mistaken choosing the no score option does just that... gives you no score. Therefore you will not know your strengths or weaknesses because you have no score to go by. I would humbly suggest that you finish all the courses tested over. That being heavy algebra and trig, O. Chem 1&2, Gen Chem 1&2, Biology 1&2 + any other Biologies you can finish. The biology is all over the place in the questions so the more you know the better. Reading is purely a timed event where you have to train yourself to finish quickly. Write random essays to prepare for the writing section. If you are super serious about doing well or worried you will do poorly take a kaplan course or whoever the other big name in test prep is. Dont just take the test to see how you are going to do. Study the heck out the material, then take it.

I randomly took the PCAT over the summer (I used to be pre-med, so it was pretty random...). It was my first time, and I had only 2-4 weeks to study for it because I was bombarded with summer class. Luckily I had a lot of pre-req classes under my belt and I'm strong in some areas than others, but I definitely DON'T regret taking the test (had it scored).

Of course, I didn't just blindly walk into the test room... THAT would be stupid. I DID freak out probably the entire month and tried my best to cram everything. Although I never took a Kaplan course, I used my friend's books and basically read every single page of every book (except verbal; I took my chances and assumed I was more verbally capable than when I took the SAT's...).

After the first test, I knew what sections I had to work on (chem), and which sections I had to pace myself on (reading comp, chem, math). But thanks to all the cramming/studying that I did do, I walked out with a decent score considering the circumstances. I took my second (and last ever) test two months later. Again due to a full course load (19 credits) I had 2 weeks of intense studying... I mainly concentrated on chem for those weeks, flew through bio book just as "review" a few nights before, and skimmed through math book for equations and review on derivatives/integrals the night before. Either I was really lucky, or the random cramming sessions helped me out because I ended up with a nice score!

Freaking out is normal. Just don't make it cut into your studying time ;)

And as much as it may help to take it the first time to "get the gist of it" or whatever, you obviously don't want a bad score either. Try to put in some studying time for it, good luck!

Absolutely worth it. And after you get out of the test write down the topics you didn't remember that came up on the pcat so you can remember what to focus on for the next time. Just don't try to write down the questions. You will not see them again and that would unethical.

Always go into the test giving it your all, study hard and do the best you possibly can. If you go into the exam thinking its "just" a practice you have already set yourself up to fail that time. Good luck!