Is it worth telling med schools this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year I had been planning on doing some research so I put that on my app. But at the last minute I decided to teach 7th grade math in a school that really needed a math teacher. This school is in a really bad neighborhood, that is both educationally and medically underserved (to say the least). All of my students are minority students, many either are foster kids, were born addicted to crack, and/or come from broken homes. I am learning so much more working here than if I would have spent this semester doing research. (Besides I've done a good amount of research in undergrad and while getting my MS).
Is it worth updating med schools in writing of my change of plans or should I just let them know verbally during interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I would write the best leter you can and send it to all the medical schools. It would look a ton better than just mentioning it during the interview. Mention what your learning, experiences, etc,etc. I think that type of thing could greatly boost you chances.

Plus, you'll let them know BEFORE the interview so that they may decide indeed to interview you.

Thanks for your help! I'll write the letter right away.