Is it worth to apply Howard if I am not a minority?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to apply Howard if I am not a minority? I am a Chinese which is not considered as minority in Canada. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth it to apply Howard if I am not a minority? I am a Chinese which is not considered as minority in Canada. Thanks!

Yes, it very worth applying to howard of you're not a minority. According to the ADA, there minority structure is only 62% of their student population.

Marion

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly Howard focuses its energy on trying to produce dentists from ethnic groups that are underrepresented in the dental field. However, statistically they admit people from every ethnic category. They also seem to have a range of GPA/DAT for acceptances that makes it tempting to hope for an acceptance. Why not apply and see what happens? If you've got about $100 US to put into DAT scores, AADSAS, and secondary then you'll at least get considered.

Yes, it very worth applying to howard of you're not a minority. According to the ADA, there minority structure is only 62% of their student population.

Marion

More like 89% with 80 minorities out of a class of 90. (54 Afr Amer; 4 Hisp; 1 Native Amer. and 21 Asian Americans.) Unless, of course, the ADEA figures are incorrect. Not to mention the 2159 applicants.

It sounds like a tough school to get into if you are not a member of one of the ethnic groups they focus on in recruiting. Watch Malibu's Most Wanted. Some people wouldn't fit in anywhere they go to dental school.

Is Vietnamese considered minority? My friend said there're scholarships for Viet at UT, but I am not sure whether I am a minority or not.:(

If you are Asian you may want to apply. It isn't worth it to apply if you are white and it is a waste of money IMO. The other difficult issue I see is that even though everyone is equal etc, I like diversity. Howard for me I fear would have been rough because not only would I be starting a challenging program but I would be doing it in a culturally challenging atmosphere too with from their class profile looks of limited diversity (60% Black, 4% Hispanic, 23% Asian American, 11% White.) That said, 83% of their class is either Black or Asian so if you are one of these 2 groups, you probably have a better chance of being accepted into the program and a better shot of culturally fitting in.

Is Howard a decent d-school? I understand specializing depends on how well you do in d-school/board exams but I'll ask anyways, would Howard be a good choice if I plan to specialize?

Is Howard a decent d-school? I understand specializing depends on how well you do in d-school/board exams but I'll ask anyways, would Howard be a good choice if I plan to specialize?

You would be surprised how much more decent it would be if you were accepted.

don't apply unless you have too much money and need to waste it...