Is kaplan qbank required for a competitive score for step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danvasta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've purchased both UW and kaplan. Started off with kaplan surgery along with MTB and Step up. I find it okay. I was wondering if it was a waste of time? If not which subjects I should use it for specifically.. I'm aiming for a 240+
Thanks as always !

Members don't see this ad.

I would take a look through the UWorld scores and Step II scores thread. Some people use Kaplan, some people don't. It's not necessary at all to use Kaplan to get over 240. The only resource people seem to universally agree on around here is UWorld.

This. i decided not to use it because I wasn't a huge fan of Kaplan's Step 1 QBank (although I did do nearly all of it). Make sure you do all of UWorld at least 1.5 times though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know anyone who used Kaplan for Step 2. It definitely will not hurt if you have time, but I would focus more on UW, as stated above.

As others have said, stick with Uworld unless you have a compelling reason to venture into kaplan qbank territory. For example, I did my first run of Uworld alongside my 3rd year clerkships, starting with surgery and ending with medicine. As expected, Medicine is the bulk of Uworld, and since I took step 2ck 4 weeks after my medicine shelf, I felt like a majority of the qbank would still be in my memory. So, I did the kaplan qbank specifically to buffer my memory of the uworld qbank. Once I finished kaplan, I then did a second run of uworld prior to taking step 2ck.

I scored >250, but I most definitely do not attribute this to kaplan, uworld was right on the money for my test.

I'm going to buck the trend a little bit, my score was >250 and I completed about 20% of kaplans qbank, uworld is far and away the best source but I do feel like it made a slight impact and it helped me with a few questions on the real thing...

Doing more questions is always going to help. Kaplan questions were poorly written in my opinion and tested much lower yield topics. After I finished UWORLD once I signed up for Kaplan and did 1 block in the evening, got through about 25% of it and it did help me with a couple of concepts. I stopped using Kaplan the last 2 weeks and am focused solely on MTB/UWORLD until exam. I also signed up for USMLERX which is even worse than Kaplan but again 2-3 questions did help me more easily remember things, only finished 30ish% of that Qbank.

Kind of in a dilemma about this. Everyone says just use uworld, but after finishing 3rd year I've already used it all. So I guess I just do it again during my study month? From searching this topic and others people seem to think other qbanks aren't worth it.