Mr.E

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
California
Status
Is Kaplan worth it? I am about to take the course seeing as I need to brush up on the sciences, and was wondering if the course is worth it. I would appreciate any feed back.

dentist_to_be?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Dentist
Mr.E said:
Is Kaplan worth it? I am about to take the course seeing as I need to brush up on the sciences, and was wondering if the course is worth it. I would appreciate any feed back.
I just bought the big kaplan book, and i got a 21 (although a 15 on PAT)

on a side note, if you take the course, I have applied to teach the kaplan dat... so maybe i might get to be your teacher :D :laugh: :luck: :love:

mikey13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 7, 2004
Bay Area, Ca
Status
DAT's a huge part of being accepted to dental school, id say Kaplan is worth every penny...

EMORYswim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Status
Mr.E said:
for me it had been over a year since i had done any of my sciences. i took the DAT before and after kaplan, before i was an 18 and after i raised it to a 22. not only did the review really help for the sciences, but they also helped in ways to reason through the PAT. i think that it was worth it. you have to be willing to do the work, and it is not always easy to get the motivation.

Typo

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
YES, absolutely. You'll never find even close to as many good practice problems elsewhere.

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
The course follows the blue book exactly, but with the class you have access to their practice exams which are the most helpful. The class part is ok, you have someone to ask questions. Occasionally you know more then they do.

Study the material and take the practice exams! over and over.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Most likely it is worth it, but keep in mind that there is always going to be something that is not to your flavor.

DAT is important, so you want to do well. If Kaplans can get you an extra few points, then it is more than worth it.

Go ahead, take it, the cost is a drop in the bucket in the long run.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Mr.E said:
1000$, no.
65$ or less for the book, yes.
Listen up, if you don't believe in yourself, the kaplan course works minimum for you, on the other hand, if you really study, the kaplan book is enough.

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
I didn't think the actual classes were all that helpful. Although there were some good tips, I wouldn't have paid $1,000 for course had it not been for the practice exams and the extra exams for each section of the DAT. Those were instrumental because they grilled you over and over.

Typo

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
Profchaos said:
1000$, no.
65$ or less for the book, yes.
Listen up, if you don't believe in yourself, the kaplan course works minimum for you, on the other hand, if you really study, the kaplan book is enough.
In my opinion, the problem with just using the book is that it severely limits your exposure to practice problems. A huge part of getting a high score for me was learning to take the test, and that comes through tons and tons and tons of practice problems. After taking all of Kaplan's subject tests and reflecting on why I missed problems, I got way better at not making stupid little mistakes that kept lowering my score.

Taking the DAT is not just regurgitating a bunch of info; it's about applying that info and learning to think through the problems effectively. I think Kaplan's materials are definitely worth it for that.

That being said, people do score high with just the big Kaplan book. But if you want or need to get a killer score, Kaplan is going to increase your chances of that dramatically.

Sweeti8286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Michigan
Status
Dentist
If you need the review for gen chem, bio, math, and some reading, then I say go for it. The only part that was worth it was for the PAT. PAT is second biggest piece of the puzzle they look at..so yes, I say it's worth it.

Overall, it's worth doing because they have the practice DAT's and subject tests as your resources that can't really be found elsewhere. It was worthwhile for me.

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Is Kaplan worth it? My answer is NO! If you're lacking motivation and depending on Kaplan for it, you'll have more problems ahead of you than just the DAT.

This is what I did. I went to Barnes and Noble and bought 2 books. 1) Barron's DAT book (Good start up for PAT portion). 2) Kaplan's Book. (Good for Science and Math review)

I also bought Top Score. (Good for practice right before the real DAT)

Viola! ... Just motivate yourself to study.. you don't need to spend an extra $1000 to sit there and have someone cheer you on while you study. You won't have that in dental school so why sell yourself short. :thumbup:

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
niceteeth said:
Is Kaplan worth it? My answer is NO! If you're lacking motivation and depending on Kaplan for it, you'll have more problems ahead of you than just the DAT.

This is what I did. I went to Barnes and Noble and bought 2 books. 1) Barron's DAT book (Good start up for PAT portion). 2) Kaplan's Book. (Good for Science and Math review)

I also bought Top Score. (Good for practice right before the real DAT)

Viola! ... Just motivate yourself to study.. you don't need to spend an extra $1000 to sit there and have someone cheer you on while you study. You won't have that in dental school so why sell yourself short. :thumbup:
I totally agree with you man.

You looking forward to UCLA in Fall?

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
jk5177 said:
I totally agree with you man.

You looking forward to UCLA in Fall?
Yup, and the tough 2 pre-clinical years ahead. BRING IT ON BABY!!! :D Have you decided where you're going next year?

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I still haven't heard from Columbia yet, but even if I do, I am likely to stay in California and go with UCLA.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Typo said:
In my opinion, the problem with just using the book is that it severely limits your exposure to practice problems. A huge part of getting a high score for me was learning to take the test, and that comes through tons and tons and tons of practice problems. After taking all of Kaplan's subject tests and reflecting on why I missed problems, I got way better at not making stupid little mistakes that kept lowering my score.

Taking the DAT is not just regurgitating a bunch of info; it's about applying that info and learning to think through the problems effectively. I think Kaplan's materials are definitely worth it for that.

That being said, people do score high with just the big Kaplan book. But if you want or need to get a killer score, Kaplan is going to increase your chances of that dramatically.
I said Kaplan book is book, but I never mentioned it was enough. Typo was right by pointing out the effectiveness of only reading without practicing. If you want a good score that ensures you a good dental school, use other sources such as Topscore pro. My lil experience, one month of study(kaplan blue book, bio notes, several pages in the S outline, 1 test from Kaplan book, 2 topscore tests) was able to give me AA TS 22.

mccarth2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
I was just as skeptical as you when I shelled out the $1100 for the course. I got a 14 :( on the PAT diagnostic and just after the first session of PAT review I improved by getting a 21 on the workshop review (1 full length). There are quite a few tricks that they taught me that I would have never figured out on my own. I don't know if the $65 book has all of these tips, but I doubt it. I would definately suggest supplementing with other products like topscore because you only get 6 diagnostics at Kaplan (3 paper/3 computer)

wimmcs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Status
Answer: NO

If you can buy all the Kaplan materials including flashcards and subject tests then you'll save a lot of $$. Good luck!

denty

dont eat yellow snow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
my problem was that it was quite awhile since i took science classes, and i wanted to ask questions in class, but i had the feeling that i couldnt, (you know when you have some people that obvioulsy understand and they are annoyed that you are even making the class any longer than it is). everyone in my class wanted to get out as soon as possilbe.

the materiail was excellent :thumbup: , and if you were a fresh science buff it really guides you, but if you are like me it could be a bit overwhelming. i only studied a month, but hard, and didnt finish with all the material that was given ( i also missed 2 weeks of the kaplan course). if I studied for 2-3 more weeks i know my exam would have shot up a few points.