Is leadership any important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chargers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to know because I have minimal leadership in EC of which, of course I will work on this summer. But is it something that make or break an applicant's chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I need to know because I have minimal leadership in EC of which, of course I will work on this summer. But is it something that make or break an applicant's chance?

Leadership is looked at as a positive but is not a prerequisite to medical schools. But bad grammar (in your PS) will make or break you.:)

Leadership is looked at as a positive but is not a prerequisite to medical schools. But bad grammar (in your PS) will make or break you.:)

Lol, but so many things aren't "pre-reqs" but under-the-rug are required if you want to be super-competitive and not be limited in where you can apply!

Like for example, if you wanted Harvard or JHU, had a 4.0/42, but never did any volunteering, you'd never get in. It's not a pre-req anywhere but they might invite you for an interview and then reject you. Think of all the other "unspoken" requirements that are out there. Research, lot's of ECs, volunteering every time possible, leadership at X club, helping the homeless, some sap story, etc, etc, etc. Applying to med school is getting WAY out of control and just not understandable anymore!! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
"leadership" is such a bull**** term in admissions that's thrown about, but adcoms tend to see thru it. No one cares that you were president of the school pre-med club or secretary of Alpha Phi Omega unless you can back those positions up with specific accomplishments.