is mdapplicants a good representation of the applicant pool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QiasTheKid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, I've spent some REAL time perusing mdapps, and I find it to be a very reliable source of info. However, I seldom see profiles with stats closer to mine getting accepted to a bunch of schools (3.6 cGPA/3.4 sGPA/31 MCAT), and it's discouraging.

Is mdapps more a product of self-selection or is it generally a good rep of the applicant pool?

Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, your MCAT is average for MD applicants and your cGPA is a bit below average, so just by stats alone there is bound to be less people getting accepted.

However, of course MDapps isn't the best sample. The people on that site are, more than likely, more knowledgeable than your average applicant. Due to this, they have probably taken courses of action others applying wouldn't. If you want to see how many people get accepted with your stats, look at AAMC's table. MDapps is just a good way to be neurotic/show off. Of course the person with a 3.98 and 41 MCAT is more likely to flaunt their stats and Hahvahd acceptance than the 3.6 and 31 MCAT hoping for an acceptance anywhere (not saying you're desperate, but generally an acceptance anywhere is wanted).

Reactions: 1 users
mdapps, more a product of self-selection

If someone is mediocre they are definitely less likely to share their stats. Conversely, someone who is an allstar probably cant wait to let the world know (even anonymously).

MDapps can be a bit vainglorious, but is also a pretty unique and helpful resource, as long as you can restrain yourself from comparing your apps to all the rockstars on there. Invariably, the rockstars always have the most complete and useful profiles.

To your question, I don't think it's anywhere near a complete representation of the application pool. However, it doesn't hurt to assume you're applying with incredibly driven, smart and accomplished people, because you are.

Reactions: 1 user