Is med school really that hard to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But it is so interesting to look at a 4 year old thrad and notice how many people are med students now and which folks are not.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
IA, NM, SD, ND, MS, AL, GA, TN, WA, KS, AR, LA, NE, HI, IN, IL, WI, MN, MO, KY

Why do private schools (like Vandy) have any state preference? Have any comments to pass on the challenges of State vs Private school admission?

But it is so interesting to look at a 4 year old thrad and notice how many people are med students now and which folks are not.

If 15 years from now I am verified faculty, could we hang out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do private schools (like Vandy) have any state preference? Have any comments to pass on the challenges of State vs Private school admission?
Very, very few private schools have IS preferences. Tufts has a Maine track so that some seats are reserved for Mainers. Jefferson MAY have one for people from DE, but I don't know this for sure. Mercer has a mission to train doctors who will practice in GA, Geisinger wants people from the Scranton area. These are all that I can think of, but if it seems that other privates schools have IS biases, it's because they are located in states with large pools of talented candidates.

Is it? Absolutely. 60% of applicants don't get in anywhere.

Is it as hard and impossible as everyone on this website seems to make it? ... well ...

Is it? Absolutely. 60% of applicants don't get in anywhere.

Is it as hard and impossible as everyone on this website seems to make it? ... well ...

That’s because SDN pre-allo is tryhard central. You have people saying they’re studying for step 1 right after they get an acceptance.

Reactions: 5 users
That’s because SDN pre-allo is tryhard central. You have people saying they’re studying for step 1 right after they get an acceptance.

No doubt. And people asking if “all hope is lost” after getting an A- in Orgo.

This is SDN where the average GPA is a 3.99 and an MCAT of 526 is considered “OK”

Reactions: 4 users
I'm curious, Goro, what makes IL one of the lucky states? There is only one public in-state school if you don't live in Southern IL.

Edit: forgot about U of I new school, but it is really only for an engineering background.

I'm curious, Goro, what makes IL one of the lucky states? There is only one public in-state school if you don't live in Southern IL.

Edit: forgot about U of I new school, but it is really only for an engineering background.
Let's see:
apps-
IS 1888
OOS 5571

IIs
IS 659 (35%)
OOS 435 (7.8%)

seated:
IS 240 (12.7%)
OOS 46 (0.8%)

It appears that U ILL has a profound IS bias. Why? Ask the taxpayers.

Reactions: 2 users
Also you have the reinvented applicants with a horrible first few years of college and/or bad original degree followed by fantastic upward trend, postbacc, or SMP. And as for SMP, those GPAs will not be reported in the AAMC table which, I believe, only includes UG GPA.

Wow good point. Forgot about post bacs, SMPs and upwards trends. How does that count for MCAT score? I’ve seen schools on MSAR that have 472 on there for matriculants. Maybe first time takers?

apparently my state (SC) is so lucky even Goro forgot it exists :p

Reactions: 1 user
Also you have the reinvented applicants with a horrible first few years of college and/or bad original degree followed by fantastic upward trend, postbacc, or SMP. And as for SMP, those GPAs will not be reported in the AAMC table which, I believe, only includes UG GPA.

With regard to MCAT, and low MCAT/GPA combinations, do the AAMC tables include BS/MD programs that might require the MCAT but don't require a minimum score so minimal effort is expended on it? Ditto GPA where the goal is to "let students explore and be challenged" without being overly concerned or competitive about grades.

Reactions: 1 user