Is Med School Still Plausible? Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiothorac88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I came across this forum and decided I should take a leap to ask for some advice. I am currently in college as a pre-med student and biology major yet I keep hitting these brick walls with my classes. I love biology everything about the subject interests me yet I have had a bad 1st, 2nd and now 3rd year. My 1st year I took Chem 200(Gen. Chem) worked really hard and received an F then took a Calculus class receiving the same grade. I retook both classes changed my study technique and sought out even more tutoring and received a C in both classes.

After that I proceeded to take the next level of Gen Chem in which I recieved a C- which was too low for the university I attend so I had to retake it and recently received a C. However I also took Biology at the same time and while I studied constantly and tried all the tutoring I could get I still received an F in lecture and a 75/100 in lab. So now must retake that class.

I also took the second level calculus class in summer but did not pass it. I took it at a community college but did not transfer the grade over to the university transcript so I am not sure if Med schools still somehow recieve that or not but I plan on taking it along with Bio in the spring. You can probably see my dilemma and the trend of me having to retake all of my science classes so far. I know I understand the material because I always do well in the labs but they just don't hold much weight in the grade.

Right now my GPA is at a low 2.45 and I just reached the amount of units to be a Junior but won't be graduating anytime soon. What are my chances or options for getting into med school. I am an extremely hard worker and will do anything I can to improve my overall and science GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, no, it is not out of reach. As of now both DO and MD american schools are out of the question. With so many credit hours and low GPA, an american MD school would be out of the question for the future pending a miracle. The fact that your grades have been so low on retakes is ominous, you really need to ask yourself, what is going on here? There is no way you could survive a medical school curriculum. I am sure you could go overseas, but the chances of you succeeding are extremely slim unless you figure out why you are doing so poorly in your classes.
With retakes and a 4.0 from here on out, and rocking the hell out of the MCAT you might be able to get into a DO school.

No one can help you but yourself. I stress that you need to figure out what is going on.

If you can't even muster an A in a single science class (or any class?), your options & opportunities for medicine are not good.

It's unusual for any student to work really hard and get an F, or even anything lower than a B in a class. Something is wrong: study methods, test-taking abilities, whatever. You have to find out what it is, and look for a solution. You say you understand the coursework, but there's no evidence of that in your grades. Be honest with yourself, if you actually understood it, you wouldn't get it wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I came across this forum and decided I should take a leap to ask for some advice. I am currently in college as a pre-med student and biology major yet I keep hitting these brick walls with my classes. I love biology everything about the subject interests me yet I have had a bad 1st, 2nd and now 3rd year. My 1st year I took Chem 200(Gen. Chem) worked really hard and received an F then took a Calculus class receiving the same grade. I retook both classes changed my study technique and sought out even more tutoring and received a C in both classes.

After that I proceeded to take the next level of Gen Chem in which I recieved a C- which was too low for the university I attend so I had to retake it and recently received a C. However I also took Biology at the same time and while I studied constantly and tried all the tutoring I could get I still received an F in lecture and a 75/100 in lab. So now must retake that class.

I also took the second level calculus class in summer but did not pass it. I took it at a community college but did not transfer the grade over to the university transcript so I am not sure if Med schools still somehow recieve that or not but I plan on taking it along with Bio in the spring. You can probably see my dilemma and the trend of me having to retake all of my science classes so far. I know I understand the material because I always do well in the labs but they just don't hold much weight in the grade.

Right now my GPA is at a low 2.45 and I just reached the amount of units to be a Junior but won't be graduating anytime soon. What are my chances or options for getting into med school. I am an extremely hard worker and will do anything I can to improve my overall and science GPA.

What kind of student were you in high school (and was it a competitive high school with mostly college prep students)? Top 5 to 10 percent? NHS? Did you make mostly As, particularly in science classes? What was your SAT or ACT score?

My guess is that you did not do particularly well in high school, but if I am wrong, were you otherwise expecting to do really well in college? Did you have a demonstrated aptitude in HS for science classes? Did you take Calculus in high school? Grades? At college, have you asked for help, counseling? Do you go to help sessions, or use tutors?

You may have some sort of learning disability...just a wild guess.

Regardless, your chances at med school are nil...you need to set that goal aside and figure out what it is you are doing wrong, because it is really going to screw up your future grad school and career opportunities...a biology major who can't get an advanced degree has very limited career opportunities...you should consider a different major (business?)...what classes have you done the best in? Well, then that should be your major...

The biggest mistake that people make is assuming that they have to major in bio or chem to go to med school, and they dig a hole for themselves starting in their first semester of college taking Calc 2 and Organic Chem and a bunch of other classes that sink their GPA...

I suggest you meet with a school counselor or academic advisor and figure out why you are failing. You cannot get into a US medical school as you are. Until you are set on a new path that is a reasonable goal for you, I'm not even sure you should register for next semester yet. I laud you for doggedly sticking to your goals and retaking class after class, but it's time to be realistic and face your limitations or find an answer to them.

I am learning disabled and would like to throw in my two cents. First of all I agree with the majority that medical school is not reasonable at this time. I would also advise you go to your schools Disabled Student Services office ASAP. They can have you evaulated for learning problems even if you do not have any documentation of a disability. For example, if you are a slow worker, you may be able to recieve extra time on your tests and take them alone in a quiet room. Also, don't overload yourself, and MAKE SURE you've taken all the pre requisites for any of your classes. Also, take your classes at a time of the day you tend to be alert and focused.
Hope things work out great for you whatever career you chose!
Diana