Is Medical School the Right Choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hannahrenee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently in my Junior year of studying Molecular Biology. While I have mainted fairly competative scores, a 3.8 GPA, I am doubting my ability to survive medical school. I do work full-time and volunteer in addition to school. I was just curious if feeling burnt out during under-grad indicates that I ought to choose an easier path. Have many of you struggled through under-grad and successfully entered medical school? I know the next 10+ years will be extremely demanding eduactionally, and the follow responsibility probably exhuast some individuals. I suposse I am asking if all you guys feel overwhelmed by the possibility of being accepted into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

You owe it to yourself to become the next Wolf of Wall Street..

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I am currently in my Junior year of studying Molecular Biology. While I have mainted fairly competative scores, a 3.8 GPA, I am doubting my ability to survive medical school. I do work full-time and volunteer in addition to school. I was just curious if feeling burnt out during under-grad indicates that I ought to choose an easier path. Have many of you struggled through under-grad and successfully entered medical school? I know the next 10+ years will be extremely demanding eduactionally, and the follow responsibility probably exhuast some individuals. I suposse I am asking if all you guys feel overwhelmed by the possibility of being accepted into medical school.

It is all about how you spend your time between undergrad and starting medical school. You really have to take some time for yourself, most of your time should be for yourself, which is my plan prior to starting. I worked full-time third shift for three years while doing 16 or more credits every semester and still managed to volunteer, shadow, and do the other little things they look for in an application. Was it brutal? Absolutely. Was it worth it? Absolutely. I did feel burnt out at times, but it is all about perspective. Gotta make the situation yours, not let the situation make you.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My recommendation: Take a gap year. Use that time to do the things that you want to do. Then, apply to medical school if you feel it's right for you.

You can always defer your acceptance and then take the gap year. Also remember that life is a marathon. Try to minimize the unnecessary loading of your work and school schedules to the max. Finishing in 4 vs 4.5 vs 5 years isn't the end of the world.

You tell us. Medicine is a calling, like being a fireman or a priest.

You are hardly "struggling".

I work full time at one job, part time at another, do community service and research. I feel overwhelmed. When I take exams and quizzes and I'm worrying about a few points because making a B and a A matters so much more to me than most of my friends... when I think about my MCAT and how my stats measure up against everyone else's... it gets overwhelming. I get anxious and scared and I hover over the edge of burnout often. I've asked myself so much if I can actually do this, and sometimes I doubt myself and sometimes I need help. So I feel you. I do.

But personally, I also could not imagine working in any other field. I love medicine. And it's so hard to love medicine sometimes, but nothing good comes easy. So I work through it, I spend time relaxing with my SO, and everyday when I go to work and see patients I remember why I love medicine. That's what gets me through. If I didn't love medicine, if I didn't have the support of my SO and a couple other close friends and my family, I would not be able to do this. But I do have that, so I can do this.

You can do it too, if you want to enough.

Let me be frank, the right choice is waking up at 12, playing video games till 9 and eating chocolate cake.

The fact that you did none of that is why you're burnt out.

Reactions: 3 users

When I found out I was accepted to medical school I was excited for about 10 minutes-- And then the fear set in. I was absolutely convinced I was going to fail out, I wasn't smart enough, and I couldn't handle it emotionally. 1 year in and I haven't failed a course yet (knock on wood!). I've had my fair share of mental breakdowns but everyone I know here has. It wears you down mentally and emotionally but you're not alone in going through this. It's ok to freak out or have a solid day of just crying, eating chocolate, and watching netflix. I just keep telling myself it's short-term misery for long-term gain. This may not have sounded like much of a pep talk, but I'm just letting you know that yes it sucks, but you can do it. And you're not going through any of this alone- you'll meet some awesome friends in med school to help you along. Good luck!

Medicine must be one of the great loves of your life. Just like finding a significant other, you don't ask to move in on the first date -- or even within the first month. Instead, you spend a long time getting to know them well, understanding their flaws and faults and realizing for yourself that they are greatly outweighed by their perfections. You have to build a good foundation in your relationship to survive any arguments or fights. You learn what to expect when you decide to live with them and eventually spend the rest of your life with them. Sometimes, some people get lucky, and are able to learn to love their significant others after jumping into a relationship. Most people aren't.

Well, medicine is one helluva mistress. It asks for more and more time and money, riding you raggèd and keeping you from sleep on your worst days. If you don't love it, it'll leave you broke, depressed, and feeling violated.

...Actually, it does that even for people who love it.

TL;DR. IHMO:
If you are doubting your passions at this point, it should be a resounding "no" to medicine. Education only gets significantly more difficult with less free time -- and therefore less time to remember why you began to pursue it in the first place. Remember the fire hose analogy: what at one time you were learning within one quarter/semester, you are now learning and tested on within two weeks. If you don't already have a strong passion, you'll find yourself wondering why you started when you're in the middle of the race and too late to turn back (at least, $200k too late).
Your mind can change later on as you have more experiences and "fall deeper in love" with medicine. Those experiences are what will keep you afloat and persevering through training.

do adcomms really believe this? In the physician sections many a doctor call it just a job.

Medicine must be one of the great loves of your life. Just like finding a significant other, you don't ask to move in on the first date -- or even within the first month. Instead, you spend a long time getting to know them well, understanding their flaws and faults and realizing for yourself that they are greatly outweighed by their perfections. You have to build a good foundation in your relationship to survive any arguments or fights. You learn what to expect when you decide to live with them and eventually spend the rest of your life with them. Sometimes, some people get lucky, and are able to learn to love their significant others after jumping into a relationship. Most people aren't.

Well, medicine is one helluva mistress. It asks for more and more time and money, riding you raggèd and keeping you from sleep on your worst days. If you don't love it, it'll leave you broke, depressed, and feeling violated.

TL;DR. IHMO:
If you are doubting your passions at this point, it should be a resounding "no" to medicine. Education only gets significantly more difficult with less free time -- and therefore less time to remember why you began to pursue it in the first place. Remember the fire hose analogy: what at one time you were learning within one quarter/semester, you are now learning and tested on within two weeks. If you don't already have a strong passion, you'll find yourself wondering why you started when you're in the middle of the race and too late to turn back (at least, $200k too late).
Your mind can change later on as you have more experiences and "fall deeper in love" with medicine. Those experiences are what will keep you afloat and persevering through training.
Your TL;DR is just as long as your post. Hahaha.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

TL;DR. IHMO:

I only love myself, where do I profit!?!

do adcomms really believe this? In the physician sections many a doctor call it just a job.

I think the calling thing fundamentally is a religious and calvinist remnant of our developing culture, back when we associated success and what not with godly favor. In these 'enlightened' times, we associate a job with moderate enjoyment and the capacity to buy shiny things.

We are the monkeys with bling.

Adcoms DEFINITELY believe it -- especially considering many of them are in academia =P
Not every physician does, though. It's definitely true for a lot of doctors -- medicine is what defines them and takes up a large majority of their life. For others (usually shift work physicians), it's much less so.
Example: I know a colorectal surgeon who works 7 days a week because he rounds on his own patients everyday. Some days are less busy, but most days are packed from 7:30 to 18:30 on days he operates, 9:00 to 9:00 on days he doesn't. He also voluntarily signs up for a lot of night call.
Counter example: I know another ER doc who works 10-12 seven-hour shifts per month maximum and spend the rest of their time with their kids, wife, surfing, capoeira, video games, trying new food. He works overnights by the way, where at our site he gets paid 150%

Both medical school and undergrad can only take out of you what you let them. If you don't want to be burned out, stop giving so much. Get some balance in your life and your GPA might drop to 3.7, but your life will be infinitely more fulfilling.

I was going to ask, "I wonder what happens to people with multiple callings?" Then I googled "fireman priest" and evidently the answer is "they die heroically on 9/11."

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/05/140154885/memories-of-sept-11s-first-casualty-burn-bright

judge_uni_vert-62b3414b0e8228823b9e6bdf4a5e36f1b77ef03b-s4-c85.jpg

I was going to ask, "I wonder what happens to people with multiple callings?" Then I googled "fireman priest" and evidently the answer is "they die heroically on 9/11."

I always said if it wasn't for medicine, I'd probably get into firefighting or policing. Two of the ER docs I work with are on SWAT (because they're EM docs). They get called in the middle of the night to suit up and whatnot. So much for not taking call in EM, lol.
If it wasn't for the redundancy in fire and doctors could take call only for certain levels of fire, I'm sure they could do both, too.

On that note, firefighters probably have the same amount of public respect as physicians (if not more), have significantly better pension, have much easier lifestyles in general even during the hours even when they're working, and have insignificant malpractice costs since they're mostly covered by county protocol.

Maybe I went into the wrong field.

But one of them involves heavy lifting and. um. running into a FIRE.

Yeah when the adrenaline is pumping I would run into fire.

It's the heavy lifting that gets me. I'm a wimp.

On topic: OP, don't apply then defer. You should definitely take a gap year. Loosen up, have some fun, and then decide if going to med school is really what you want.

Therefore you don't have to deal with the stress of applying before you are certain.

Side-rant: I really dislike people who apply then plan to defer. Unless it is an extreme situation like family/health issues or an amazing opportunity like working as a Presidential campaign manager, it feels disingenuous.

Jen are you from my neck of da woods?

Let me be frank, the right choice is waking up at 12, playing video games till 9 and eating chocolate cake.

The fact that you did none of that is why you're burnt out.

Only if I can be Dean... or maybe Sammy.

Honestly though, you do need some time to unwind. Even if it's something as trivial as eating chocolate cake while playing video games, find something that you can do to de-stress. Stepping away from the busy, maelstrom of your life can help you put things back into perspective and remind you of what you're doing it for. The gym is my sanctuary- peace in the form of music and exercise, unbroken by a screaming baby, school or work.

But one of them involves heavy lifting and. um. running into a FIRE.
Much more glorious as compared to the inevitable vomit, blood, urine and/or feces exposure in residency, hepatitis/HIV/AIDS needlesticks, MRSA carriers, a million and one combinations of URI/gastroenteritis virus/other viruses.

Make sure you know what you're getting into. Medicine is just a job like any other job. It just requires at least 7 years of training and $150k.

I worked full time through all of undergrad while doing all the shadowing, volunteering, club running, while making time for my wife and child. I often felt worn out. It's the nature of the beast. I went rock climbing as often as possible for my escape. I had no 'calling' to medicine other than it sounded like the best/most enjoyable option and has great job security. Med school has been very manageable. I very much enjoyed this first year. I am burnt out, and we have our semester final in under 2 weeks. You just keep going against all odds and desire. The summer will be a great break for me and my family (now 2 kids). I was super worried in the months leading up to school that I wouldn't be able to cut it, but I've actually done very well and I'm sitting comfortably in the upper quarter of my class. Just so you know the fears are normal. You will do well if you put in the time and effort. You will definitely experience being burnt out with no desire to study, but that's the same with any job.

This is very much true. If you want to become a doctor, you'll do whatever it takes to get through medical school!