Is Medical School "Worth It" for Nontrads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, this JL LIN person is crazy. One of her posts talked about faith in Christ or some crazy ****, no wonder...

In any case,

honestly, I don't see why everyone is demonizing Tris. None of you know him completely and I would rather say that he knows the culture of medical school better than any of you do (he's in it).

We also don't know what type of person he is in real life. Is he fat, ugly, socially awkward, arrogant, or even poor, or even a minority?

There tends to be a certain group of students who commonly get into medical school who are of shall we say a certain socioeconomic class and above. It may not be so much about the money, but money does make things a lot more comfortable to say the least.

Anyways, I don't want to make this a thread about money, btu I wanted to say that Tris's experiences word for word are VERY common, and rather than DEMONIZING and ignoring what he's saying, a lot of naive idiots tend to say oh shucks you're depressed or you're not tough enough.

The hell?

First go through it and then get back to us.

And just because you're a gunner does not translate into being a better doctor as the correlation is not 1:1.

If anyone wants to read the black and white of medicine, check out

www.medschoolhell.com

and panda bear md's blog (now on the SDN website).

I would say, btw, that I respect the "black and white" thinking that Tris has --- he keeps it real, doesn't embellish and tells it like it is.

I would also say that Tris should take a year possibly even two after medical school (he is right in wanting to complete medical school, I don't know why somebody insisted that he drop out after plunking over 100K, which is just ******ed.

He can go into business, go into the military, go into pathology (after taking a year or two off of recovering his motivation and energy), or some other low-key specialties (relative to others) and be done with it all.

TIME OFF IS A GOOD THING.

The end.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I need suggestions please.

I am 25 with a BS in accounting and I recently was laid off after 3 years of working for a large corporation. In college, like most kids I wasnt sure what I wanted to be in life and I decided to be an accountant since it worked out so well for my father. In all 3 years of working as an accountant I was depressed and unhappy, hoping the computer in front of me would just go away. Now after some thought and gaining the maturity I needed I happily want to become a doctor. I have no debt and some money saved but not much. I know I have to go back to get some pre med courses and I have at least 6 yrs in front me of hard work. Please if anyone can answer my questions below, please feel free.

1. What pre med courses are normally expected?

2. I heard Egypt has US accredited med schools that are very inexpensive, is that a good idea going to Egypt?

3. What is the most afforable route to getting my Medical degree?

*Also just any other suggestions from your previous experiences.

Don't do medical school. Just don't. Why don't you get your CPA degree and teach at a community college or something?

Or become a PA or a dentist?

If you were younger I would say go into medicine, but don't lose your whole life to work yo. You're lucky that you are an accountant as you have a great financial sense, so could you imagine what could be done if you became a dentist with your business background?

You'd surely lose that from 8+ years in schooling.

You won't get hot girls because of being a doctor, and the salaries are now below inflation rate, and are going to get even more cuts as specialties take in less with Obama care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus, this JL LIN person is crazy. One of her posts talked about faith in Christ or some crazy ****, no wonder...

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Generally I feel faith is a personal thing. At the least do try to be more respectful. If you ARE a fellow, meaning you are at the end of your extended, foundational learning in medicine, I find it hard to believe or at least sad that you would take such a disrespectful slam against someone; that is, that you would show that you reason and communicate with that kind of intolerance. And not that I've gone out of my way to discuss faith; but faith cannot and should not be said to be something simply for "crazy" people. Practically everything in life requires some amount of faith.

But the point is, what they heck is up with such low-life intolerance? Most of the patients and families you will be, may be, or at present are treating (and that seems dubious to me b/c of such a classless, ignorant comment on your part) are people of some kind of faith. How is it that you do not see that such a tone will escape coming out of you and spilling on to them? Your bias and intolerance WILL show--give it time--under stress character is revealed.
You better get it in check ASAP if you plan on dealing directly with people.

Online, however, people are often not at all what they seem or claim to be. So I have to take your comment for what it seems to be worth. (I think you know what that is.) Trollish behaviors never cease to amaze me. Or perhaps you are some disgruntled person with some kind of sick/sad agenda of your own.

Apparently you don't realize you just insulted a great many psychologically stable, intelligent, and educated people from ALL faiths, not just those of the Christian faith. Lord knows how you would comment and respond regarding those of say the Jewish faith.

As a "professional" you can walk so proud displaying such intolerance.

In any case,

honestly, I don't see why everyone is demonizing Tris.

The end.

Stop being illogical and jumping to conclusions and generalizing.

No one is demonizing Tris. He has gone from thread to thread with his tale of woes over his choices; yet he refuses to take ownership of his choices and what to do about them. Then there is his tainted spin that takes over the threads, and it's ridiculous.

Also, just in case you are not aware, serious depression is not all that uncommon--it's quite common really.
No one here knows or is saying one way or the other that that is definitely going on with him. But a reasonable person that spends time regularly moaning again and again over the same thing--taking the whole gloom and doom approach to things and using just about any thread he can as an opportunity to spill one-sided negativity on the threads--well, surely he needs to at least be fairminded and honest enough to consider getting a good workup and an evaluation from the right professionals.

Whether he does or doesn't is up to him. He's not on trial and neither is anyone else.

Also, neither should people make unwise, inflammatory comments about reasonable opinions and then slam a person personally on what they may think a person's faith is--using that supposedly as a bases for their disagreement for the person's perspectives.

Actually your initial, intolerant comment alone should get you a moderator warning or a purge from the thread.

Wow. Can anyone just post here and claim to be a physician?

I also have to wonder if this is yet some other way to keep the person referenced (Tris) and his situation as the center of attention:shifty:.

People are truly amazing sometimes.

Finally, black and white thinking to the exclusion of sound reasoning is weak and leads to great confusion and strife.

Once again, walk proud with such reasoning abilities.

Last edited:
Don't do medical school. Just don't. Why don't you get your CPA degree and teach at a community college or something?

Or become a PA or a dentist?

If you were younger I would say go into medicine, but don't lose your whole life to work yo. You're lucky that you are an accountant as you have a great financial sense, so could you imagine what could be done if you became a dentist with your business background?

You'd surely lose that from 8+ years in schooling.

You won't get hot girls because of being a doctor, and the salaries are now below inflation rate, and are going to get even more cuts as specialties take in less with Obama care.

Oh come on. That reply is quite a tell. Moderators someone needs to be dealt with. Tris, if that is you, get off of it already.

No one can tell that previous poster what he should or should not do. And heck if Future MD is too old to pursue medicine. What the?
It's a personal decision.

Bypass this person's comment Future MD. I seriously doubt if he is a "fellow."

What is this? Trolls are Us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh come on. That reply is quite a tell. Moderators someone needs to be dealt with. Tris, if that is you, get off of it already.

No one can tell that previous poster what he should or should not do. And heck if Future MD is too old to pursue medicine. What the?
It's a personal decision.

Bypass this person's comment Future MD. I seriously doubt if he is a "fellow."

What is this? Trolls are Us?

Uh, a troll --- sure, but this is coming from a crazy woman who openly professes her complete faith in Jesus Christ as your holy savior and tells others to believe in Jesus Christ on a secular board --- why is it the crazy religious ones that are always complaining with others when they don't agree with someone's opinions?

I'm sorry but I fail to comprehend how giving my opinions to others is "trollish" :)laugh:) Maybe you should write a lengthy reply as to why I have some undiagnosed mental disorder (coming from a crazy religious freak). Please do, and I will most certainly get back to you in 5..4...3...2...

Anyways to Furture, I stand with what I said, and it is was very honest and direct advice. Think opportunity costs, and debt involved. What are your goals? Are you in it for the job security which it sounds like is the case for you? I would s

Last edited:
Uh, I'm no troll, but I do seriously think you are when you profess your faith in Jesus Christ as your holy savior and somehow interpreting my comment as "trollish" :)laugh:)

There was nothing trollish about what I said, and it is was very honest and direct advice. Sorry, but I know that in the middle ages pointing fingers at people whose opinions you may disagree with may have worked, but this day and age, people are a lot less gullible.

Jesus saves as always I bet huh?

What the? Wow. . . you are seriously creeping me out. :eek: Tris, dude if that is you, OK I am getting a picture as to why you are having problems with girls.

Serious moderator time.

Yikes.

Folks, let's please start the new year on a positive note and not bicker over nothing. Those of you who do not wish to read another user's posts should go to your user CP and put that person on ignore.

Folks, let's please start the new year on a positive note and not bicker over nothing. Those of you who do not wish to read another user's posts should go to your user CP and put that person on ignore.
Done.

God, I can't stand religious fanatics especially ones that love to complain to moderators for having a disagreement in opinion.

Alas, we live in a democracy, where one has the right to express their opinions...

but nobody said that we have to listen to them! :p

Just so I understand. . .posting an intolerant, offensive comment about a person's supposed faith is acceptable and simply calls for use of the ignore feature?

Wow.

God, I can't stand religious fanatics especially ones that love to complain to moderators for having a disagreement in opinion.

Alas, we live in a democracy, where one has the right to express their opinions...

FYI, I rarely ever have sought action from a moderator--anywhere. Not my style; but your comments are totally inappropriate, as is even the one I quote above calling me some sort of "religious fanatic." What's more I have not even officially reported any of your posts; but perhaps I am quite wrong for not doing so.

Your comments not just here but overall seem intentionally trollish. . .and you have launched a bit of campaign to dissaude folks that apparently if their chronological age is over 23-25, they are too old to pursue medicine ON THE NON-TRADITIONAL THREADS no less. Gutsy.

I'm done. All I can say is Wow.

Happy New Year.

Uh, a troll --- sure, but this is coming from a crazy woman who openly professes her complete faith in Jesus Christ as your holy savior and tells others to believe in Jesus Christ on a secular board --- why is it the crazy religious ones that are always complaining with others when they don't agree with someone's opinions?

I'm sorry but I fail to comprehend how giving my opinions to others is "trollish" :)laugh:) Maybe you should write a lengthy reply as to why I have some undiagnosed mental disorder (coming from a crazy religious freak). Please do, and I will most certainly get back to you in 5..4...3...2...

Anyways to Furture, I stand with what I said, and it is was very honest and direct advice. Think opportunity costs, and debt involved. What are your goals? Are you in it for the job security which it sounds like is the case for you? I would s

BTW, just curious as to when I supposedly did such a thing. You seem fixated on anti-religiousity. And you stated things that aren't true.

Highly suspicious.

Just so I understand. . .posting an intolerant, offensive comment about a person's supposed faith is acceptable and simply calls for use of the ignore feature?

Wow.
We try our best to avoid being heavy-handed with the moderation, on the assumption that our users are capable of self-policing and posting in accordance with the SDN TOS. I would request again that you, and everyone else who is arguing in this thread, please put any users whose posts annoy you on ignore. I don't know why this discussion has suddenly degenerated into personal attacks, but if it continues, the thread will be closed.

We try our best to avoid being heavy-handed with the moderation, on the assumption that our users are capable of self-policing and posting in accordance with the SDN TOS. I would request again that you, and everyone else who is arguing in this thread, please put any users whose posts annoy you on ignore. I don't know why this discussion has suddenly degenerated into personal attacks, but if it continues, the thread will be closed.

Sir, you do not have to close the thread on my account. Fairness and reason were where I was coming from.

This person has not only shown offense to me (where such things as religion, gender, etc are not and should not be grounds for discrimination) but to many other folks. For people and professionals in general, this is highly disrespectful.

I think a light touch is generally a good thing. I've also learned a thing or two about discernment.

I will be more careful about clicking on "new/latest posts." Had I not clicked there, I would not have seen the comment w/ my name on it. Whether that is a good or bad thing, only time will tell.

Sir, you do not have to close the thread on my account. Fairness and reason was where I was coming from.

This person has not only shown offense to me (where such things as religion, gender, etc are not and should not be grounds for discrimination)but to many other folks. For people and professionals in general, this is highly disrespectful.

I think a light touch is generally a good thing. I've also learned a thing or two about discernment.

I will be more careful about clicking on "new/latest posts." Had I not clicked there, I would not have seen the comment w/ my name on it. Whether that is a good or bad thing, only time will tell.
I appreciate your concerns, and I think everyone here can agree that all of us should treat our fellow users with respect. Personal attacks are not permitted by the SDN TOS. However, please understand that SDN's privacy policy prohibits me from discussing any actions taken against specific users.

Oh, and I'm a "ma'am," not a "sir." ;)

Hey jl lin and Mister T I, why do you try so much to hide the fact that you enjoy each other!:love: You can easily ignore each other as Q commented!!:laugh:

I appreciate your concerns, and I think everyone here can agree that all of us should treat our fellow users with respect. Personal attacks are not permitted by the SDN TOS. However, please understand that SDN's privacy policy prohibits me from discussing any actions taken against specific users.

Oh, and I'm a "ma'am," not a "sir." ;)

Wow Q,

I am sorry. Have no idea why I thought you were a sir.
:)

I understand.

Done.

Mister T = *****

Thanks for the link to medschoolhell.com so we can be reminded of all the negative aspects of medicine and be told of more we didn't think of.

You should check out my favorite blog, I try to visit it daily:

www.reasonswhymisterTisanabsolutemoron.com

The writers are excellent and there's an endless amount of material.

But again, I'll tell you what my plan is. I am taking the exam April 23, and then once I am done with that, I will continue studying for the May 27th exam. Because the April 23 score comes out on May 24-25th, I can determine whether or not I will have to take the May 27th exam. But in any case, during that 5th month, I will just go over all the EK 1001s (because at this point I will have exhausted the TBR + TPR HL), and finish off the GSes, and do the first 7 Berkeley Review Tests. This is all "in theory" --- you know there's burn out to STRONGLY consider (it happened to me the first time I studied), but even if you fall behind, you'll know that you did a good 98% effort and after that there's not much else you can do.

Wow Mister T. How did you become a fellow before taking your MCAT in April or June of 2010? That is stellar man. Stellar.

Or maybe when you use the title "fellow" you are referring to the obsolete definition from Webster's as opposed to a medical "fellow":

a person of one of the lower social classes

How did you become so knowledgeable about medicine before taking the MCAT?:confused::confused:

Last edited:

Q I'm here to self police for you, PM me anytime :thumbup::)

one thing that has always confused me, is it a personal attack if I call a ***** a *****? I mean, there are obviously *****s in this world and consequently some may post here occasionally. If a person has diabetes and I call them a diabetic this isn't a personal attack, it is just reality.

correct me if I am wrong.

Q I'm here to self police for you, PM me anytime :thumbup::)

one thing that has always confused me, is it a personal attack if I call a ***** a *****? I mean, there are obviously *****s in this world and consequently some may post here occasionally. If a person has diabetes and I call them a diabetic this isn't a personal attack, it is just reality.

correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, it is a personal attack to call another user a *****. Again, judicious use of the ignore button is always a good plan. On that note, I think it's time to shut this thread down.

Status
Not open for further replies.