Is Medicine a Lost Cause for Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderRed1923

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

Hello - first post. I'll spare you all the long sob story and get straight to the point. I have a BA and MBA. I took a few premed classes long ago (2007ish) and did alright. In general though I wasnt a great student. I finished undergrad with a 2.9 (2.7AMCAS), with several W's and a boatload of C's. In grad school I did better and graduated with a 3.2. Unfortunately I never felt that motivation or career ambition that many others experience. Anyway, I've been out of school for a year now working in finance. I'm miserable for the most part. Medicine has always been a great interest of mine but I gave up on it long ago, but it keeps coming back. I come from a family of clinicians and that was the environment I was raised in.

Fortunately I live next door to Austin Community College and they offer a lot of night/weekend classes for working professionals such as myself. I know it's not as "prestigious" as a university but it's my only option. The tuition is dirt cheap. Let's say I invest the time and money, and theoretically I make A's, score decently in the MCAT, volunteers, etc... Do I stand a realistic chance of attending an American medical school? Preferrably DO. This is probably my last opportunity. I don't want the life long regret of not trying, but I also need to know how realistic my goals are. I'm grateful for any advice/suggestions. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

It's never too late. I am not too dissimilar from you, non-trad, previous low academic history. It will definitely be an uphill battle but if you are willing to accept all the stress and hard work involved then it's possible. Especially in TX, 90% residency acceptance and new schools popping up in the next couple years. Life is too short to be miserable, if it's what you want, do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Good morning,

Hello - first post. I'll spare you all the long sob story and get straight to the point. I have a BA and MBA. I took a few premed classes long ago (2007ish) and did alright. In general though I wasnt a great student. I finished undergrad with a 2.9 (2.7AMCAS), with several W's and a boatload of C's. In grad school I did better and graduated with a 3.2. Unfortunately I never felt that motivation or career ambition that many others experience. Anyway, I've been out of school for a year now working in finance. I'm miserable for the most part. Medicine has always been a great interest of mine but I gave up on it long ago, but it keeps coming back. I come from a family of clinicians and that was the environment I was raised in.

Fortunately I live next door to Austin Community College and they offer a lot of night/weekend classes for working professionals such as myself. I know it's not as "prestigious" as a university but it's my only option. The tuition is dirt cheap. Let's say I invest the time and money, and theoretically I make A's, score decently in the MCAT, volunteers, etc... Do I stand a realistic chance of attending an American medical school? Preferrably DO. This is probably my last opportunity. I don't want the life long regret of not trying, but I also need to know how realistic my goals are. I'm grateful for any advice/suggestions. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Two years ago I was in your same boat, sans MBA and a slightly lower GPA. I am starting medical school this coming year.

MD is out of the picture but DO is very much in reach. If this is what you are going to decide to do, go all in and don't be afraid of the CC, that's what I did too and I believe I got a great education (and dominated my MCAT for all the CC naysayers). 2 science classes at night is doable while working (assuming 2 days/week for each and they aren't conflicting). At a certain point you will probably have to give up the career to get these classes done in an orderly fashion especially with the new biochem and sociology requirements. Start off this semester, if you are able to ace your two pre-req courses go through the summer and decide if next fall semester is worth dropping the job and gearing up your app for the following year.

I will add that it is going to be absolutely imperative that you get A's on every pre-req course. Do not settle for less because that 4.0 science GPA is what is going to give you a shot with a sub 3.2 cumulative.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to verify with someone else, but I believe I've heard that TCOM does not do grade replacement. That being said, if you're prepared to move, it's still absolutely possible if you're willing to put in the work.

Two years ago I was in your same boat, sans MBA and a slightly lower GPA. I am starting medical school this coming year.

MD is out of the picture but DO is very much in reach. If this is what you are going to decide to do, go all in and don't be afraid of the CC, that's what I did too and I believe I got a great education (and dominated my MCAT for all the CC naysayers). 2 science classes at night is doable while working (assuming 2 days/week for each and they aren't conflicting). At a certain point you will probably have to give up the career to get these classes done in an orderly fashion especially with the new biochem and sociology requirements. Start off this semester, if you are able to ace your two pre-req courses go through the summer and decide if next fall semester is worth dropping the job and gearing up your app for the following year.

I will add that it is going to be absolutely imperative that you get A's on every pre-req course. Do not settle for less because that 4.0 science GPA is what is going to give you a shot with a sub 3.2 cumulative.

^ What he said. There is def a chance for you, but it will take some time and a lot of hard work.

Good morning,

I'll put it to you like this...

Exactly two years ago I signed up for Physics I at my local community college. Over the next two years I took nearly every pre-req and re-take at either that community college or online. I began with a GPA very slightly better than yours; 3.0. I had no additional degrees like an MBA.

I aced my classes, studied my ass off for the MCAT, and am now preparing to start at Touro CA in the fall. Whether or not you can get accepted to medical school will not hinge on your current grades. If you work hard and perform well, you're going to get in. Your fate still rests in your own hands, which is a wonderful thing.

YES!!!

Let's say I invest the time and money, and theoretically I make A's, score decently in the MCAT, volunteers, etc... Do I stand a realistic chance of attending an American medical school? Preferrably DO.

This is probably my last opportunity. I don't want the life long regret of not trying, but I also need to know how realistic my goals are. I'm grateful for any advice/suggestions. Thank you and Happy Holidays

Two weeks late... My bad. To answer the aforementioned question - I'm not sure I have an intelligent answer atm, other than it's been my only consistent interest over the years. I grew up in a clinical setting and I suppose it stuck with me. I guess I'll have to spruce up that answer in the essays. I'm about to register for bio 1 and chem 1 right now. I had to submit my undergrad transcripts from 2010 and boy do I feel discouraged. All the drops and mediocre grades... I really feel quite embarrassed about my past performance. How am I supposed to convince an admissions committee that I'm worthy of acceptance with a colossal albatross around my neck? Any advice on overcoming the fear /anxiety of starting over? If I only had a TARDIS to go back and fix my grades... +1 for anyone who got that reference.

If your question is: Would a program want a mature applicant, who wants to do medicine, and has the grades and MCAT to prove baseline intelligence? Then the answer is yes.

Two weeks late... My bad. To answer the aforementioned question - I'm not sure I have an intelligent answer atm, other than it's been my only consistent interest over the years. I grew up in a clinical setting and I suppose it stuck with me. I guess I'll have to spruce up that answer in the essays. I'm about to register for bio 1 and chem 1 right now. I had to submit my undergrad transcripts from 2010 and boy do I feel discouraged. All the drops and mediocre grades... I really feel quite embarrassed about my past performance. How am I supposed to convince an admissions committee that I'm worthy of acceptance with a colossal albatross around my neck? Any advice on overcoming the fear /anxiety of starting over? If I only had a TARDIS to go back and fix my grades... +1 for anyone who got that reference.

I can assure you, my undergrad transcripts were far more atrocious than yours.

Keep your head up and ace those classes.