Is Medicine out of reach for me due to my testing skills? Ultimatum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulpremed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Community,

I graduated from UCLA in 2019 as a Biology major with a 3.8 gpa. I have plenty of ECs (Leadership positions, community service, research - w/ publications, presentations, and posters). However, the bane of my life has been the MCAT.

I want to preface what I am about to say by mentioning that I don't have a scored MCAT thus far. I initially studied for the MCAT in the summer of my junior year (2018) w/ a prep class, without taking physiology or Psychology and this didn't turn out well. I clearly was too slow to catch up on two subjects in one summer while going with the pace of my prep class.

I studied again after graduation (2019) from October to March 2020; however, I think my prep was all wrong. I knew my content but had this scare of taking a practice test, and so I convinced myself that I need to "perfect" my content, so it was just so much focus on reading books and not doing nearly as many questions. You'd be surprised, but I didn't even take one practice test. With COVID happening then, and the test date getting used back, I was just so burned out and it just didn't work.

I then got a job as a research associate and wanted to focus on my job and give myself a year to really get my mind straight with COVID, before delving back in. I have now reached a point, where I want to start studying again, but I keep thinking to myself if I am going to mess up my prep again. If I am not good enough to take this test, and all the tests I will have to take in the future- in medical school.

Please tell me, is it still possible for me to develop the correct study skills (better techniques, understand and not brute memorize in a less efficient way- i.e. saying things over and over and writing everything on slides verbatim onto my notebook)? I want to take the MCAT as a challenge and make things right! But, I also need to be real with myself, so please tell me, can I still fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor?

I think it starts with me really learning how to study.

Thanks @Goro @MedSchoolTutors @BerkReviewTeach

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of pre-made MCAT study schedules here on SDN and Reddit as well as formal prep courses by TPR and TBR. All of them incorporate some combination of content review and practice tests + qbanks. I'd spend some time exploring these resources, finding one that best suits your learning style, and stick to it. That'll take some of the "what should I be doing" guess work out of this, because that guess work seems to be overwhelming you. Try to minimize additional commitments during your MCAT prep time so you can really focus on it.

Hello SDN Community,

I graduated from UCLA in 2019 as a Biology major with a 3.8 gpa. I have plenty of ECs (Leadership positions, community service, research - w/ publications, presentations, and posters). However, the bane of my life has been the MCAT.

I want to preface what I am about to say by mentioning that I don't have a scored MCAT thus far. I initially studied for the MCAT in the summer of my junior year (2018) w/ a prep class, without taking physiology or Psychology and this didn't turn out well. I clearly was too slow to catch up on two subjects in one summer while going with the pace of my prep class.

I studied again after graduation (2019) from October to March 2020; however, I think my prep was all wrong. I knew my content but had this scare of taking a practice test, and so I convinced myself that I need to "perfect" my content, so it was just so much focus on reading books and not doing nearly as many questions. You'd be surprised, but I didn't even take one practice test. With COVID happening then, and the test date getting used back, I was just so burned out and it just didn't work.

I then got a job as a research associate and wanted to focus on my job and give myself a year to really get my mind straight with COVID, before delving back in. I have now reached a point, where I want to start studying again, but I keep thinking to myself if I am going to mess up my prep again. If I am not good enough to take this test, and all the tests I will have to take in the future- in medical school.

Please tell me, is it still possible for me to develop the correct study skills (better techniques, understand and not brute memorize in a less efficient way- i.e. saying things over and over and writing everything on slides verbatim onto my notebook)? I want to take the MCAT as a challenge and make things right! But, I also need to be real with myself, so please tell me, can I still fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor?

Unless you cheated your way through school, the fact that you have a 3.8 tells me that you have what it takes to do reasonably well on the MCAT. I'm not saying you will get a 520 or that it will be easy, but you've obviously done well in a fair amount of hard coursework. The MCAT is difficult because it covers such a wide range of topics, but the depth of knowledge needed is honestly pretty shallow. The MCAT is scary because it has a huge influence on if/where you go to medical school. I think you are getting nervous about the test because of all that pressure, even though you likely know/knew your content well enough to get a reasonable score.

I am not a mental health provider and would never diagnose or treat you with such little information, but it sounds like you may have an emotional, psychological, or psychiatric condition that prevents you from being able to take the test confidently. I don't think it isn't something you can't overcome, but I also don't think it is normal for people to study multiple times and be so nervous that they can't ever take a practice test. If you feel it is appropriate, I think you should consider talking to a therapist, counselor, psychologist, or psychiatrist. Again, I'm nowhere near qualified to help in that department, but I do think that they may be able to assist you.

Regardless of your past, there is nothing that can prevent you from fulfilling your dream to become a physician. You obviously care a lot about it and have the determination to stick with it in the long run. Don't let being nervous about the MCAT (which is very stressful) let you think that you can't become a doctor. As long as you don't give up, the road to becoming a doctor will be there for you. It won't be easy, but it's worth it if you think it is.

I agree with goodbee. You are self-sabotaging, and until you get a handle on this, med school is out of the question.

Contact your school's counseling center, or talk to your family doctor. This is NOT giving medical advice.

Then take an MCAT prep course.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in your shoes in February when I first started studying. Thought I wasn’t good enough for it despite being an A student and top of my class. Hammered in practice questions on UEarf to the point where I could score 4-5/5 on passages without even knowing the actual concept. If you practice enough it will eventually get into your end and practice tests will become second nature. I started at 492 btw and scored a 513, you could do even better.

Have you taken any practice tests (AAMC FL) and received a score? You should shoot for a 510, and the fact that you have a 3.8 from UCLA says that you are probably capable of doing well on the MCAT.

I'd say some immediate changes you can make to your study habits are to first give Anki a shot (might work for you, might not) and then do tons of practice questions. These study methods practice active learning rather than passive (which is what rewriting things in a notebook is) and tend to make information stick in your mind better.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I don’t know if they still do it with COVID but test prep companies used to offer a free proctored sample MCAT. I went to one of those in the beginning of my studying to get acquainted with the style of testing, without any sort of expectation on doing well on the material.

Do you have test anxiety? Is it something you’ve struggled with previously? The MCAT is a big test and you have to train for it, but at the end of the day, it’s just 4 little tests in one day (breaking things down help me tackle the task better).

Hello SDN Community,

Take a good MCAT prep course and/or hire an excellent tutor. The latter especially can help you hone the reasoning skills that you need to do well.

As alluded to earlier in the thread, it sounds like you have test taking anxiety to an extent that is hindering you. We all pretty much have some low level anxiety when taking an exam but it doesn't hinder our ability to take said exam.

Also as alluded to earlier in the thread, you will need to work to overcome this. Going through the whole process starting with MCAT, I've taken 10 or 11 standardized exams (not including shelf exams which is another at least 5 or 6).

Granted MCAT is one of the 'big 3' (MCAT, Step I [but now likely Step II], and Boards), but you in general should work on overcoming this issue since it's hard to predict how it will affect you when taking any of the exams you will encounter. Seek help if needed.

One other thing to consider, is going to medical school something you really want to do or are you doing it for someone else (parent/family pressure or other)? If the latter, I wonder if an element of resisting this part of the process has come into play in a subconscious way. I'm not assuming that's the case, but I just bring it up as a consideration. You say becoming a physician is your dream, but almost every premed says that, so I don't want to assume anything with that either.

There is so much amazing advice in this thread. It epitomizes why SDN is the best resource for honest and compassionate feedback for premeds. That said, I think enough people have mentioned the mental health aspect, so there is nothing to add in that regard.

As someone astutely said, you don't get a 3.8 as a south campus major at a great university like UCLA without a great capacity to do well. While the MCAT is not exactly like school, and it rewards different skills. there is no doubt you possess the intellect to grasp all of the concepts you could possibly see. But as important as content may be, test skills and the right attitude are also vital to doing well.

I'm going to go against the grain here, but I disagree on taking a prep course. They can make anxieties worse, as you are in a cauldron of stress. Forty-plus people in a zoom meeting is not going to help you overcome any anxiety issues, especially when it comes time for practice exams. MyOdyssey had a great idea to get a private tutor. I'd choose one who has studied for the MCAT and dealt with the stress, if you can find one. If you are still in the Westwood area, there are several tutors that could fit this description.

You also need to find your 'happy place' that you can periodically retreat to during practice tests. When nerves start getting the better of you, call "timeout" and spend a minute in your happy place reaffirming why you're taking the MCAT. Then call time-in and get back to work. Realistically, you get about five timeouts per section! If you can build this wellness support into your studies, then you'll be fine.

I have seen literally hundreds of people in your same shoes overcome their anxieties by accepting them, embracing them, and ultimately navigating them. There is no reason you can't be just like them. You took a HUGE step opening up about it, so now you are ready to power through this time. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users