is medicine right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

promedstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does one know that medicine's for him? i am great in all classes from bio to math to art and know that i will get through med school if i wanted to. i dont mind biology but i've fantasized about pretty much every other career from time to time. so here's the question for all who think that medicine was for them. what made you think so? just what was it?

Members don't see this ad.

how does one know that medicine's for him? i am great in all classes from bio to math to art and know that i will get through med school if i wanted to. i dont mind biology but i've fantasized about pretty much every other career from time to time. so here's the question for all who think that medicine was for them. what made you think so? just what was it?

My Playskool doctors kit when I was 4 years old.

Then again, I may be an exception :)

Do some serious volunteering and shadowing and observe like crazy. You'll find out in a hurry whether its for you or not.

I'm not "great" in every subject, but I'm only passionate about a few things in life.. one being the military, the other being medicine. I really can't imagine what I'd do for the rest of my life (and actually enjoy) if I wasn't working in medicine.

So it's really up to you. Get some experience in the field, see if you like it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
i knew when i started shadowing. get as much clinical experience as you can, and you'll know

Do some volunteering or job shadowing with a doctor/hospital. Clinical exposure really made up the decision for me. The stuff I experienced made me thing "This is where I was meant to be."

I was like that for quite a while myself. When my dad took me to work one morning (he gives Anesthesia) I absolutely loved it and now I can not imagine being happy doing anything else. I've since volunteered and every time I go in to volunteer that position only gets reinforced.

You know when I was trying to pursue a career as an opera singer my voice teacher said, "If you can picture yourself doing anything else, even for a second, then you should do that instead of trying to pursue a career as a musician. The road is just too long and hard." I think the same goes for a profession like medicine as well.

Funny, because my last few serious years of training, my mind wandered and I could see myself doing other things. Now that I have chosen medicine, I can't picture myself doing anything but...you'll know in your gut if you've made the right decision.

There's no real way to KNOW. I'd recommend checking out a variety of careers. Try applying for a IBanking internship, then shadow a physician, then maybe try talking to some engineering alumni.

Don't listen to other people. Find out for yourself.

I knew when I enjoyed voluntarily pulling an 8 hour volunteer shift at the hospital(usual is 4 hours) so I could see what they did. I always hated leaving and wondered when I would get another chance to volunteer again. :thumbup: