is my app competitive for ross and/or sgu?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocky1416

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.44 gpa and a 32 mcat. I also have about 250 hrs of volunteering at hospitals plus decent letters of rec. do i have a good chance of getting in?

also, what are the average gpa's and mcats of the entering classes for ross and sgu? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.44 gpa and a 32 mcat. I also have about 250 hrs of volunteering at hospitals plus decent letters of rec. do i have a good chance of getting in?

also, what are the average gpa's and mcats of the entering classes for ross and sgu? Thanks for your input.

Did you try U.S schools already? I mean both MD and D.O. I can't imagine that ALL of the U.S schools would reject you with these stats. I'm pretty sure that SGU and ROSS will gladly grab you, but Why would you subject yourself to this?

Anyway, Best of Luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude u must be out of ur mind trying to go to the carib with those kinds of grades...u can easily get into Drexel...SUNY Downstate...New York Medical College...and these are just some schools from the Northeast area...I'm sure there are many others throughout the US that will take u in a flash. I heard that Kentucky takes kids with 28-29 MCATs. I'm not sure what ur life scenario is or anything...and you should not base ur decision on the responses u get on this site...but as a second opinion...take it from me...if you're young...under 24 or 25...wait to apply to US schools...trust me...it is so worth it.

Dude u must be out of ur mind trying to go to the carib with those kinds of grades...u can easily get into Drexel...SUNY Downstate...New York Medical College...and these are just some schools from the Northeast area...I'm sure there are many others throughout the US that will take u in a flash. I heard that Kentucky takes kids with 28-29 MCATs. I'm not sure what ur life scenario is or anything...and you should not base ur decision on the responses u get on this site...but as a second opinion...take it from me...if you're young...under 24 or 25...wait to apply to US schools...trust me...it is so worth it.

Easily?????? Please these are the min stats for US MD acceptance, Really, most who apply have these or better that do get accepted, I think the OP should look into both US and Caribbean as far as what you heard, are you even in Medschool yet? A lot of premeds here think they know...............:laugh:

As far as UWI why is this school coming up? My classmate (MS II so yes we do know what we are talking about ) Is a Jamaican with a good GPA but she had to go here cause UWI only takes so many and as for Foreign students they take very few each year, and oh it's a MBBS not MD.

Good Luck.

:luck: To the OP:

There are few more schools just opened in U.S, and even more on the way both MD and D.O. You'll get in somewhere. I wounldn't worry about it too much. Apply broadly. One semester at ROSS or SGU with all of the expences and ttravel will cost you a lot more than applying to all the schools in U.S and Canada, IMHO. Go for it, and forget the IMG route for now.:luck:

LOL... It scares me to think that people as dense as the OP will one day become a doctor. Sends chills down my spine!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was accepted to both St. George and the AUC for the 2007 class. Had to attend interviews for both. I had a 22L MCAT and a 3.2 (bombed the physical portion on the MCAT), no volunteer work, no publications, participated in 1 research lab. Im lucky to get in (was borderline). So, THERE'S Hope..

I think you have a decent shot if you are wiling to repeat the MCAT. Also,you may want to beef up the CV by donating some time at local homeless shelters, doing a stent with greenpeace, that kind of thing. Finally a 3.44 is pitiful..just pitiful when looking at these schools. I believe the entering GPAs of Ross and SGU last admission cycles were 3.68, and 3.72 respectively, although I know the latter gives special consideration if you took calculus based physics. In any event I suggest you try and offset the GPA with a masters in biochem. or something. Or......

:idea: you could apply broadly within the U.S., write one hell of a personal statement, work on your interviewing skills, and most likely get accepted somewhere. Of course if you really want to go offshore, I'm afraid the above info still holds true. cough < sarcasm > cough.

Apply to the US schools. My sophmore year roommate had exactly that, and he is at Jefferson.

3.6, 3.7- Please? That's higher than some US schools...In fact, Emory Medical School's average GPA of entering students is 3.75 so that's highly unlikely the requirement for ROSS and SGU. We even had the Ross rep come to our school and say the average was around 3.4...I understand people try to beef up their school but don't exaggarate as this might mislead many prospective students...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was accepted to both St. George and the AUC for the 2007 class. Had to attend interviews for both. I had a 22L MCAT and a 3.2 (bombed the physical portion on the MCAT), no volunteer work, no publications, participated in 1 research lab. Im lucky to get in (was borderline). So, THERE'S Hope..

I bet you had a high credit score to balance everything though.:D

3.6, 3.7- Please? That's higher than some US schools...In fact, Emory Medical School's average GPA of entering students is 3.75 so that's highly unlikely the requirement for ROSS and SGU. We even had the Ross rep come to our school and say the average was around 3.4...I understand people try to beef up their school but don't exaggarate as this might mislead many prospective students...

I understand that not everyone was graced with the sarcasm gene, which is why I made it PATENTLY OBVIOUS that I was being facetious in my post. Hell, I believe the the word "sarcasm" is actually right there at the bottom of the post.
Good God man, are you serious??????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: You're saying the average GPA at schools like Ross and SGU is not in the 3.6/3.7 range????????? Ya' think????????:rolleyes:
Incidentally, the ability to detect subtlety and nuance in writing proves useful in all kinds of wonderful ways, like, oh..lets sat the verbal reasoning portion of an MCAT.:idea: I suggest you brush up on it. And/or if you are already in Med. school, all I can say is WOW! Sorry, but if you reread my original post how on earth could you possibly ever think I was being ANYTHING other than sarcastic? Amazing, simply amazing.:oops:

What I love is reading everyone telling this person to wait, go, apply to schools not opened yet and some will not open till 2009, Caribbean but they can get into the US schools just retake the MCAT ect............ Only on SDN DO it see such lost people and others willing to tell them what to do. Hell we do not even know these people at all...............................Funny

What I love is reading everyone telling this person to wait, go, apply to schools not opened yet and some will not open till 2009, Caribbean but they can get into the US schools just retake the MCAT ect............ Only on SDN DO it see such lost people and others willing to tell them what to do. Hell we do not even know these people at all...............................Funny
but when you consider an individuals objective criteria, such as GPA, MCAT scores etc. advice can be tailored quite reasonbly and reliably toward that end. As in, this OPs MCAT along with their GPA are well within the range to be competitive at some of the middle and lower tier US allopathic and osteopathic schools."Knowing someone" imparts subjective knowledge, and is less useful, although it can be helpful in identifying potential red flags that may be *perceived* at the interview level of medical school admissions. In any event, it should be self evident to anyone with a modicum of intellect that the relative value of advice dished out by absolute strangers on an anonymous internet forum is comminsurate with the price payed for it.( if you carry the one...the answer comes out to zero)
As for my advice that the OP repeat the MCAT, that was sarcasm. The bit about voluteering for Greenpeace ( lest there be any doubt ) also sarcasm.The fact that I even needed to explain that? ....priceless.