Is my clinical experience sufficient...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockaction

casemed'14
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's what I've got going for me:

~50 hours of clinical volunteering
Shadowed a couple physicians, but I've only got one long term gig
Went on a medical trip to Guatemala

What do you all think? My MDApps shows where I'm applying.

I would just like to be able to rest easy thinking that this isn't going to be a big problem...I see it as the biggest flaw in my application. My numbers are fine, I've got some research...so I'm mostly worried that they won't think I have enough clinical experience.

For the experiences that I do have, though, I have a lot of stuff to say about them.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what I've got going for me:

~50 hours of clinical volunteering
Shadowed a couple physicians, but I've only got one long term gig
Went on a medical trip to Guatemala

What do you all think? My MDApps shows where I'm applying.

I would just like to be able to rest easy thinking that this isn't going to be a big problem...I see it as the biggest flaw in my application. My numbers are fine, I've got some research...so I'm mostly worried that they won't think I have enough clinical experience.

For the experiences that I do have, though, I have a lot of stuff to say about them.

Thanks

Doing more hours wont hurt.

Just wondering... Did 1700$ TPR course helped you get a 35? and what about EK 101 verbal passages

I'm w/ eez on this. Your clinical experience seems pretty skimpy right now. 50 hrs is about the equivalent of a half a semester of a part-time internship or one week of full time work! That's really not even enough time to make your first mistake (and be corrected on/learn from it -- and possibly become quite frustrated with your job/healthcare), learn even a fraction of your job description or even finish your on-the-job training for most any position in a healthcare setting. Since many students do official semester-long internships in addition to what you just listed, you should expect most of your competitors to have at least 100 hours of solid clinical internship experience as well as volunteering, research, shadowing and so forth.

Members don't see this ad :)
But is working full-time in a health-care setting even expected? How could that really prepare you to be a doctor? I figure you get the jist of what a hospital is like after 50 hours of volunteering at one.

But I currently am doing research at a top 20 medical school right now, which I've enjoyed a great deal.

But is working full-time in a health-care setting even expected? How could that really prepare you to be a doctor? I figure you get the jist of what a hospital is like after 50 hours of volunteering at one.

But I currently am doing research at a top 20 medical school right now, which I've enjoyed a great deal.

Believe me you wont get a jist of most stuff with 50 hours of volunteering. I volunteer in the ER 8 hours a week and I learn/see something new every week.

Believe me you wont get a jist of most stuff with 50 hours of volunteering. I volunteer in the ER 8 hours a week and I learn/see something new every week.

50 hours is sort of meaningless. Especially to the schools you are applying. Some of them will be looking more along the lines of 500 hours. No joke.

That being said, just continue clinical exposure. Maybe you can send a letter of rec later on as a supplement. You'll be fine, even though your school list is a bit short and risky. Your numbers are great, but at that high level, nothing is a lock really. I'd apply to some schools in like penn, chicago, or virginia, since they are sort of close to you, and may provide you the room to 'rest easy.' :)