This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I give up?

• Yes

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Scaredgirl92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
i'm currently lost on what to do and which route to pursue
I have a B.S in Biology gpa 2.9
I am Finishing a second B.S. in chemistry currently gpa still at 2.9
the second bachelors was done because I started get really interested in chemistry and wanted to take on the extra classes, now
I have 600 hours of volunteer work (50% or 300 hours from one organization)
I have leadership positions from clubs at school
I'm currently doing research with a professor and will be presenting next semester
My research professors plan on getting me in a research internship next summer
i shadowed a 3 doctor for a month and I know i need to do more
i'm also looking for a part time job in the healthcare field
I'm interested in medical school and was wondering what steps i should take to make this happen since my gpa is really low
*College was really tough for me but not because of the course work but because of personal family grievances that interfered with my academics and I was always scared of taking time off because I noticed all my friends that did that are not going back because life happened
  • Should I do an SMP ? to raise my gpa and show medical schools i can do the work?
  • should i do a regular masters ?
It was always my dream to go to medical school, I'm being pushed to go to pharmacy school but It's not really what I want, I just wanted to know if my dream is dead ?

Classes I have left to take
FALL:

physical chemistry 1
physical chemistry 1 lab
calculus 3
engineering mathematics
advanced bichomestry
SPRING
Pchem 2
pchem 2 lab
chemical literature
engineering thermodynamics
structural biochemistry
SUMMER
polymer chemistry
materials chemsitry

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like you have a ton of credits at 2.9 GPA and have some relatively challenging courses to go. This looks like you are causing more damage than good.

Reactions: 1 users
It looks like you have a ton of credits at 2.9 GPA and have some relatively challenging courses to go. This looks like you are causing more damage than good.
The next classes I have, I know i can pull a 4.0 for them, they are based on my current area of research and i'm an somewhat really good at this subject. My family issues have also been resolved so nothing should intervene. I just want to some guidance or just plain advice on what my next step should be to achieve what i really want, i'm currently really lost

Members don't see this ad :)
Take science courses that you can 4.0 for a couple semesters and then start looking into MCAT.

Two degrees with less than a B average and some known grade wreckers left to complete do not spell success in the foreseeable future.
Is there a chance that you could switch majors and finish strong?

A Master's degree will not remediate a weak undergraduate performance at MD schools. DO schools see this differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
No, the dream isn't dead but it is close to being so. Instead of re doing all these classes or going to grad school and spending all that effort to probably get rejected by U.S. MD/DO schools anyways you should spend that energy excelling and surviving the money hungry Caribbean schools. But thats if you REALLY want it. The Caribbean won't be easy but that seems like the only route.

Goodluck

Reactions: 1 user
I'd look into other carers unless you're willing to spend two years getting 4.0 grades to repair your GPA. No more Cs, no more Bs, all As. Then you might have a shot at a DO school. Most SMPs that are reputable wouldn't even take you on at this point.

No, the dream isn't dead but it is close to being so. Instead of re doing all these classes or going to grad school and spending all that effort to probably get rejected by U.S. MD/DO schools anyways you should spend that energy excelling and surviving the money hungry Caribbean schools. But thats if you REALLY want it. The Caribbean won't be easy but that seems like the only route.

Goodluck

I don't want to talk about anything I don't know, but from what I've heard almost ever adcom on here say this does not sound like good advice. Caribbean isn't a viable option to US medicine. Does it happen? Yes. Is that the rule? No.

OP is consistent 2.9 GPA and we are suggesting Caribbean? :O
Learn to get 4.0 science semesters and prove you can handle medical school with a better GPA and an MCAT.

I mean yeah I wouldn't say the Caribbean is good by any means. But it is possible to become a physician for people who really want it. People on SDN act like going to the Caribbean is worse than being a criminal sometimes. Granted the odds aren't in your favor. Its the only way the dream stays alive. No US med school will consider this sooo

Caribbean has huge failure rates and leaves people in debt. If OP had it together maybe as a last ditch, but if she goes in rocking that 2.9 GPA study method you can bet you just put OP into a larger hole.

I'd say do a post bac. Your EC's aren't bad but you need to get that GPA higher. And you need a good McAt score. Look into some Post Baccs

Many people already told ya but here's the deal. You already have WAYY too many credits to really make a dent in your gpa. You would literally have to get a 4.0 in every course not anything less because then it is just more credits you have to climb over. Also you haven't taken the MCAT you'd need a better than average score for you to have a real shot on top of everything being perfect. A SMP won't do you too much good because it is looked at separately than undergrad gpa so if you have the means to go a few years of schooling and get As you might have a shot but again it's a big might. Consider another career would probably be the best bet hate to say

Many people already told ya but here's the deal. You already have WAYY too many credits to really make a dent in your gpa. You would literally have to get a 4.0 in every course not anything less because then it is just more credits you have to climb over. Also you haven't taken the MCAT you'd need a better than average score for you to have a real shot on top of everything being perfect. A SMP won't do you too much good because it is looked at separately than undergrad gpa so if you have the means to go a few years of schooling and get As you might have a shot but again it's a big might. Consider another career would probably be the best bet hate to say
THe next couple classes I have, I will not have a problem with because they ar encased on the research topics I have been learning for the last two years, I know I can get a good MCAT score, I know how to study for it. If it wasn't for my family issues getting in the way, being homeless for big and sexually assauled one semester, I would of been a straight "A"student and it sucks that things got so bad that my dream could possibly be dead right

The dream is never dead. Some of the best docs are some of the most average students. I'm 31 in my second year of Med school, I took a decade away to party. Then got an extremely high mcat score. No clinical experience.

There is a place for you, too!

Here's what you do: ignore anyone who gives you advice that does not help you progress to Med school. For example, if they say "try pharma", ignore them.
Talk to anyone you can at schools or hospitals and learn what your path has to look like to get you there.
Follow that path. Live the dream. Avoid student doc net we're all crazy on here.

Two bachelors with a total of 2.9 GPA took more than one semester to achieve. I'm sorry you are upset with the responses you have gotten on here. You have three semesters all mapped out so do the best you can and come back when you have them completed. Only you can changed the trajectory of your GPA. If you manage to take the last 12 courses and get all As then maybe you'll have something to bring to the table. Oh and don't be so sure you will do well on the MCAT. Almost everyone thinks that and lots don't. So again, when the time comes study hard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

THe next couple classes I have, I will not have a problem with because they ar encased on the research topics I have been learning for the last two years, I know I can get a good MCAT score, I know how to study for it. If it wasn't for my family issues getting in the way, being homeless for big and sexually assauled one semester, I would of been a straight "A"student and it sucks that things got so bad that my dream could possibly be dead right
i am sorry that you have been through those problems. I don't want to say that admissions committees wont care but there are lots of people who have problems in undergrad and they cant accept excuses for them all. (i use the term excuse lightly as i know its not really an excuse rather a reason but...) At the end of the day i think you have to sit down and say do i have the resources and dedication to make the effort for the next probably 5+ years to give myself a shot or should i just accept that maybe this isnt meant to be which is a hard thing to do but needs to be done. You can find success in many other things that would be alot easier than trying to repair your stats which as im sure you know will be a very hard task. feel free to pm me if you would like to talk more otherwise best of luck hope everything works out

Two bachelors with a total of 2.9 GPA took more than one semester to achieve. I'm sorry you are upset with the responses you have gotten on here. You have three semesters all mapped out so do the best you can and come back when you have them completed. Only you can changed the trajectory of your GPA. If you manage to take the last 12 courses and get all As then maybe you'll have something to bring to the table. Oh and don't be so sure you will do well on the MCAT. Almost everyone thinks that and lots don't. So again, when the time comes study hard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
the 2.9 is piggy backing from the first bachelors, I've only done 2 semesters for the second bachelors since its science related too, I don't need to take that many courses. my biology gpa was 2.98 it went up 0.1 to 2.99 for the chemistry but last semester because I got a c and a B in two classes out 6 (2 labs only worth 1 credit) it remained unchanged to a 2.99. I will come back after taking these course with all A's

i am sorry that you have been through those problems. I don't want to say that admissions committees wont care but there are lots of people who have problems in undergrad and they cant accept excuses for them all. (i use the term excuse lightly as i know its not really an excuse rather a reason but...) At the end of the day i think you have to sit down and say do i have the resources and dedication to make the effort for the next probably 5+ years to give myself a shot or should i just accept that maybe this isnt meant to be which is a hard thing to do but needs to be done. You can find success in many other things that would be alot easier than trying to repair your stats which as im sure you know will be a very hard task. feel free to pm me if you would like to talk more otherwise best of luck hope everything works out
I know my hardship at the moment, and I appreciate the gesture, letting me pm you if I need to talk, and i might take you up on that at a later date. Thank you again