Is my General Physics I class too easy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cheezer

I'm learning what everyone learns, Newtonian Mechanics, Rotational Kinematics, Torque...other easy stuff...

A lot of my tests have just been plug and play and it's disturbingly easy. It just requires knowledge of a concept i.e. conservation of momentum, static equilibrium conditions etc...or remembering an equation, and then I just plug in the numbers. Nothing I've come across goes beyond this...is this representative of MCAT physics or am I just sounding like a pompous ass? Sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT tests basic physics knowledge....newton, torque, rotation, mirrors, etc....I would suggest practicing MCAT physics passages (I think Kaplan is the best). Then you will get an idea of how to tackle them - but, no, they are not plug n'chug if you don't understand the concepts!

I'm learning what everyone learns, Newtonian Mechanics, Rotational Kinematics, Torque...other easy stuff...

A lot of my tests have just been plug and play and it's disturbingly easy. It just requires knowledge of a concept i.e. conservation of momentum, static equilibrium conditions etc...or remembering an equation, and then I just plug in the numbers. Nothing I've come across goes beyond this...is this representative of MCAT physics or am I just sounding like a pompous ass? Sorry.

I wish I went to your school when I took physics.....dang...I had to derive all kinds of crap...I didn't realize how much my calculus days would come back to haunt me :p

But like DrSumdae said, I would open up an MCAT prep book with physics passages and do those alongside what you are learning, this will give you a better understanding of what it will be like when you take the MCAT and it will make you more prepared than your peers who are just, as DrSumdae says, 'plugNchug'.

-PlAnEjaNe

Members don't see this ad :)
you know what's even scarier? the class average for the first two tests is 50%. for what basically amounts to plug and chug in an algebra based physics course. The grading scale: C- is a 55, B- is a 72, and an A- is an 88.

I have this problem too!!!! Even the MCAT is too easy for me - what are all these *****s studying so much for!??? OMGWTFBBQEBAY We rule.

where do you go to school? physics was by far my hardest pre-req and the test questions were soooooooo random and always out of left field. You could know every concept in the book and get totally stuck on exams....consider yourself either very lucky or very smart.

doing a postbac at a cal state. i'm very lucky i guess...nobody studies here, so profs are forced to accept mickey mouse work. last test a few people around me had their 30-40 percents curved to 50-55's. We're talking a F=ma test, i.e. picture of given weight hangs from a string, find tension of string.

I would encourage you to humble yourself - class isn't where things end by any means. A 15 on the PS section is a reason to complain to the boards that things don't seem up to par with your expectations. In the meantime, study for your future career and don't be worried about when things will be too easy. Physics is probably the 2nd easiest topic for the MCAT - if you're rocking it then start studying something worth your time. The physics on the MCAT is less straightforward, but still a topic you can dominate in. I really encourage you to start concentrating on the MCAT now - start doing practice problems.

Just remember where you're going and what's ahead of you. There are people on this board staring their MD's or MD/PhD's - physics is a speed bump that some very smart people have problems with, but still just a speed bump. If you're getting a high A in class but getting 9's on the MCAT, go to the MCAT boards for guidance.

yeah i know this class doesn't mean much in the long run, i just didn't know if I was really learning physics...and after rereading my posts, I realize I sound like a pompous ass. I guess at the time I was questioning the quality of the class...Nobody should complain about an A...I will work on sounding more humble, I'm sure there are MDs laughing at this thread...hmm...boobies boobies boobies.

I would encourage you to humble yourself - class isn't where things end by any means. A 15 on the PS section is a reason to complain to the boards that things don't seem up to par with your expectations. In the meantime, study for your future career and don't be worried about when things will be too easy. Physics is probably the 2nd easiest topic for the MCAT - if you're rocking it then start studying something worth your time. The physics on the MCAT is less straightforward, but still a topic you can dominate in. I really encourage you to start concentrating on the MCAT now - start doing practice problems.

Just remember where you're going and what's ahead of you. There are people on this board staring their MD's or MD/PhD's - physics is a speed bump that some very smart people have problems with, but still just a speed bump. If you're getting a high A in class but getting 9's on the MCAT, go to the MCAT boards for guidance.

To the OP, try calculus-based physics I...hahaha. But yea normal physics is straight forward. Most science majors should not have much problems with the science sections on the MCAT. Now verbal, thats whole different animal:D .