is my GPA holding me back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to medical school for this fall, all DO schools plus 2 MD schools in the Caribbean. I was accepted to the ones in the Caribbean, but I really want to be a DO. I've decided to turn down the acceptances and reapply to DO. My MCAT score was 496 (I'm already planning on retaking this). Cumulative GPA is 3.4, and I think my science GPA is roughly a 3.0 (my university doesn't calculate them). I'm a senior about to graduate, and I'll probably end up with all A's this semester. I received 3 C+s during my undergraduate classes in general chemistry II, physics II, and comparative physiology of domestic animals (I'm actually a pre-vet major). I have plenty of volunteer hours and shadowing hours, but I plan on doing more during my gap year(s) anyway. I also work in a clinical setting at a hospital. If I take the time to knock the MCAT out of the park (I know I can, I just didn't study enough the first time), then what are my chances of getting into a DO school? Are those three Cs still going to make me get rejections if I fix my MCAT score? I was offered one interview last fall, at PCOM, but I was so nervous (it's my #1 school) and messed up the interview. What do you guys think??? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are on track to do fine. Look at the information available in the D0 forum for more information about what is required and if you are wanting to boost your GPA think about the grade replacement policy. Do NOT go to the carib (they are not a good option if you want to actually graduate, get a residency, and practice medicine). The forum is filled with good information so go read up to figure out how to be more competitive. Look into the average accepted GPA, MCAT, and volunteer hrs for DO before you apply again. Get yourself to a competitive point and reapply only when you are fully ready. GL

Your GPA is not your problem. It is your MCAT score that is preventing you from receiving DO acceptances. Since you are expecting A's this semester your GPA should be fine for DO schools. However, you need to increase your MCAT to at least 500. If that occurs then apply to at least 20 DO schools and include all the newer schools and the ones that open for 2017 (in Utah, Texas, Arkansas,etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I was terrified that if I turned down SGU's offer that I would never be accepted to medical school again...but I feel more confident that if I can improve my MCAT then I have a pretty good shot at DO schools. Today I contacted SGU and declined their offer. I'm taking a year or 2 off, and I'm going to restudy and kill the MCAT. I'm kind of excited to prove to myself that I can do this.

Reactions: 1 user
100% agree with my learned colleague.

Your GPA is not your problem. It is your MCAT score that is preventing you from receiving DO acceptances. Since you are expecting A's this semester your GPA should be fine for DO schools. However, you need to increase your MCAT to at least 500. If that occurs then apply to at least 20 DO schools and include all the newer schools and the ones that open for 2017 (in Utah, Texas, Arkansas,etc.).

Thanks guys! I was terrified that if I turned down SGU's offer that I would never be accepted to medical school again...but I feel more confident that if I can improve my MCAT then I have a pretty good shot at DO schools. Today I contacted SGU and declined their offer. I'm taking a year or 2 off, and I'm going to restudy and kill the MCAT. I'm kind of excited to prove to myself that I can do this.
Hey-
Do mind sharing your SGU INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE?
When did you apply to SGU and what was the timeline of your application process?
My STATs ARE 3.53(3.43s) and 506
Average ECs
Thanks.

Hey-
Do mind sharing your SGU INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE?
When did you apply to SGU and what was the timeline of your application process?
My STATs ARE 3.53(3.43s) and 506
Average ECs
Thanks.

Lol plz dont bother. Bail out of carribean now when u still can. Ur current stats should get u into domestic schools.

Reactions: 1 user