Is my MCAT expired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joelvelimir

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I took the MCAT in August 2013. Schools give 2-3 years for the MCAT to expire. Some do it from the time of application and some from matriculation. Matriculation would be Fall 2017 so it would be definitely expired for those schools. Are there any schools for which my MCAT would still be valid? BTW, I'm Canadian.

Members don't see this ad.

This is highly dependent on each individual school. You might have to call or email the different schools to find out. An August MCAT date means that your application would not be complete until September which is somewhat late, but not necessarily lethal if your MCAT score is 509+, with a good GPA, LORs, PS, ECs, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would be "lethal" at all to take an August MCAT and have everything complete by September (Even a sub-509). You should submit your primary ASAP to have it verified though because that takes time. Pre-write your secondaries while waiting for your score to come back and you'll probably be ahead of the majority of applicants.

Side note: I thought all DO schools did it by matriculation? It seems like it would be a hassle for adcoms to have to go back and compare every student's test date to when they applied specifically. Could be wrong though, might as well ask around.

I don't think it would be "lethal" at all to take an August MCAT and have everything complete by September (Even a sub-509). You should submit your primary ASAP to have it verified though because that takes time. Pre-write your secondaries while waiting for your score to come back and you'll probably be ahead of the majority of applicants.

Side note: I thought all DO schools did it by matriculation? It seems like it would be a hassle for adcoms to have to go back and compare every student's test date to when they applied specifically. Could be wrong though, might as well ask around.

Primary is just the application on AACOMAS right? Like the personal statement, write out my ECs, etc. Do I have to have all of my LORs to have my primary verified?

Right, primary is just AACOMAS. You don't need your LORs for your primary to be verified but you should get on that ASAP so everything is ready by the time you get your MCAT score.

Right, primary is just AACOMAS. You don't need your LORs for your primary to be verified but you should get on that ASAP so everything is ready by the time you get your MCAT score.

Wait, I can have zero LORs and still be verified? Isn't there a minimum? So can I submit my application and then add my LORs? Also I don't think I'm gonna rewrite the MCAT. I asked a couple of schools and they said it was ok. Waiting on responses from the other schools.

Wait, I can have zero LORs and still be verified? Isn't there a minimum? So can I submit my application and then add my LORs? Also I don't think I'm gonna rewrite the MCAT. I asked a couple of schools and they said it was ok. Waiting on responses from the other schools.

I remember that you are able to add LORs whenever, don't really know if there is a minimum. I don't think there is, it wouldn't make sense. AACOMAS doesn't really care about how many letters you have, they don't read them or need them to verify anything. They basically compile them for you so schools can download one cohesive application with the letters when they're available. At this stage, they're looking to verify your grades (and possibly MCAT). That's really all there is to it. They don't call up each of your experience supervisors to check if everything looks good - that would take wayyy too much time. Plus, I think all schools really care about for sending out secondary invites is that your grades and MCAT meet certain minimums (if the school does that at all).

Read the AACOMAS rules for any questions you have, too. On the site http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...supporting-information/evaluations/index.html:

"
Q: Can I e-submit my application before my references are received by AACOMAS?
A: Yes. Once you have successfully filled out your application, you can e-submit it to AACOMAS at any time."

I remember that you are able to add LORs whenever, don't really know if there is a minimum. I don't think there is, it wouldn't make sense. AACOMAS doesn't really care about how many letters you have, they don't read them or need them to verify anything. They basically compile them for you so schools can download one cohesive application with the letters when they're available. At this stage, they're looking to verify your grades (and possibly MCAT). That's really all there is to it. They don't call up each of your experience supervisors to check if everything looks good - that would take wayyy too much time. Plus, I think all schools really care about for sending out secondary invites is that your grades and MCAT meet certain minimums (if the school does that at all).

Read the AACOMAS rules for any questions you have, too. On the site http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...supporting-information/evaluations/index.html:

"
Q: Can I e-submit my application before my references are received by AACOMAS?
A: Yes. Once you have successfully filled out your application, you can e-submit it to AACOMAS at any time."

Ok. Thank you for the link. Very helpful. Just one more question: Do I have to add all the schools initially? I've heard of Americans using one school to get verified and then adding more schools afterwards? Or do they only do this because they are rewriting the MCAT. I'm not so I should not do this right?

Ok. Thank you for the link. Very helpful. Just one more question: Do I have to add all the schools initially? I've heard of Americans using one school to get verified and then adding more schools afterwards? Or do they only do this because they are rewriting the MCAT. I'm not so I should not do this right?

You can and IMO should use a "throwaway" school to get verfied. There are quite a few threads on such. Aug/Sept is on time for DO applicants if your application goes out to schools at that time. Just be aware that some schools will take the old MCAT, so if it was a good score you might submit to those earlier. Look on the AACOM MCIB for details on who accepts older mcats.

You can and IMO should use a "throwaway" school to get verfied. There are quite a few threads on such. Aug/Sept is on time for DO applicants if your application goes out to schools at that time. Just be aware that some schools will take the old MCAT, so if it was a good score you might submit to those earlier. Look on the AACOM MCIB for details on who accepts older mcats.

is a "throwaway school" a school i don't want to go to? would it be okay to use a school where my mcat is expired for this?

is a "throwaway school" a school i don't want to go to? would it be okay to use a school where my mcat is expired for this?

I personally would pick a school that I would be ok going to if by some odd chance they accepted me (just in case and I didn't get accepted anywhere else), but not one I'd be upset over if they didn't pick me. You just never know, as even one where the mcat has expired might decide for whatever reason they like you. What was ur mcat?

I personally would pick a school that I would be ok going to if by some odd chance they accepted me (just in case and I didn't get accepted anywhere else), but not one I'd be upset over if they didn't pick me. You just never know, as even one where the mcat has expired might decide for whatever reason they like you. What was ur mcat?
30. 12/8/10.
There are around 10 DO schools I know that are Canadian friendly but for atleast 3 of them my MCAT is expired. That leaves around 7 schools that would accept me. I don't know if I want to use one of those 7 schools as a throwaway.

Members don't see this ad :)
That or send to those that ur mcat has not expired as a 30 is a great score for DO. You can always update your mcat later, since a 30 won't auto eliminate you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

That or send to those that ur mcat has not expired as a 30 is a great score for DO. You can always update your mcat later, since a 30 won't auto eliminate you.

Thanks. If you have the time, can you tell me my chances for DO? And in your opinion should I bother applying to MD as well? My ECs are quite weak and we aren't allowed to shadow in Canada.

4.0 GPA
30 MCAT (12/8/10)
ECs: tutoring (3 years), club leader (2 years), coach (6 months), work with disabled ppl (1 year), 80-100 hours nursing home, no research

Your bcmp or science GPA, 4.0? Is that a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale? Just making sure. Have you taken all of the req classes? If so I'd apply to any MD and DO school that would accept the older mcat and Canadian. Your chances are quite good for MD with those stats IF a school is ok with the old MCAT (I don't know of any that are myself but contact them and ask) BUT you really need a physician LOR. You can boost your shadowing in the US maybe between now and secondary apps?. I'd apply asap.

Your bcmp or science GPA, 4.0? Is that a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale? Just making sure. Have you taken all of the req classes? If so I'd apply to any MD and DO school that would accept the older mcat and Canadian. Your chances are quite good for MD with those stats IF a school is ok with the old MCAT (I don't know of any that are myself but contact them and ask) BUT you really need a physician LOR. You can boost your shadowing in the US maybe between now and secondary apps?. I'd apply asap.

my science gpa and my cgpa is 4.0. the only prereq classes i havent taken are biochem and english.

ya i live near the US so maybe i'll cross the border to shadow. i still think my ecs are bad. I know reapplicants look bad for MD but do reapplicants also look bad for DO?

my science gpa and my cgpa is 4.0. the only prereq classes i havent taken are biochem and english.

ya i live near the US so maybe i'll cross the border to shadow. i still think my ecs are bad. I know reapplicants look bad for MD but do reapplicants also look bad for DO?
Yes it is bad to be a reapplicant, but in your special case I'd recommend contacting a few do schools asap and ask about your chances. You might be very well received.

Yes it is bad to be a reapplicant, but in your special case I'd recommend contacting a few do schools asap and ask about your chances. You might be very well received.

Ok thanks for your advice. I was planning on starting a 2 year course based masters in Fall. If I applied to DO schools this cycle, would they have a problem with me leaving the masters for DO school? I think MD schools would have a problem with this but I'm not sure if DO schools would. I'll e-mail and ask them but just wanted to know if you know anything about this.

Most DO progs wouldn't care.

Just to wanted to add that if you do poorly in a master's program it can impact your chances. As you also must report classes taken during the app cycle and some schools have a no lower than a C policy. I also wouldn't necessarily promote it being a 2yr prog during med school interviews, but frame the discussion around your life goal being to become a physician.

Just to wanted to add that if you do poorly in a master's program it can impact your chances. As you also must report classes taken during the app cycle and some schools have a no lower than a C policy. I also wouldn't necessarily promote it being a 2yr prog during med school interviews, but frame the discussion around your life goal being to become a physician.

Ok, thanks for the additional info. You said I have to report the classes during the app cycle. I start them in September so would I just add them to AACOMAS in September or should I add them now?

Ok, thanks for the additional info. You said I have to report the classes during the app cycle. I start them in September so would I just add them to AACOMAS in September or should I add them now?

I would add them when you actually start and they would show on a transcript. Technically, you haven't started but you could mention you have been accepted to and will be beginning a masters program during the fall in your application personal statement. Just discuss how that would help you become a better physician.