Is my situation ok? suggestions please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkjustchooseone

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, apologies if this is the wrong place, but I am new to SDN. I plan on applying to medical school in 3-4 years, I recently switched from prenursing to the premed track, so I'm currently attending a community college. I have completed anatomy and intro to microbio, and I'm currently in Gen Chem 1 and Gen bio 2. To catch up with everyone, I wanted to take gen chem 2 and calculus at my community college over the summer, and for the Fall 2021 semester, I will be attending a univeristy. Is this a bad idea? Should I just take those classes at a university? I don't want to limit my opportunities for schools to apply to.

After one semester of college I have 17 credits and a 3.8 GPA. I am a licensed CNA and It's looking like I will get about a 3.9 this semester with 17 credits. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, apologies if this is the wrong place, but I am new to SDN. I plan on applying to medical school in 3-4 years, I recently switched from prenursing to the premed track, so I'm currently attending a community college. I have completed anatomy and intro to microbio, and I'm currently in Gen Chem 1 and Gen bio 2. To catch up with everyone, I wanted to take gen chem 2 and calculus at my community college over the summer, and for the Fall 2021 semester, I will be attending a univeristy. Is this a bad idea? Should I just take those classes at a university? I don't want to limit my opportunities for schools to apply to.

After one semester of college I have 17 credits and a 3.8 GPA. I am a licensed CNA and It's looking like I will get about a 3.9 this semester with 17 credits. Thanks everyone.
It is very school specific, but, if you "don't want to limit my opportunities for schools to apply to," you don't want to take prereqs at a CC, since some won't like that. If in doubt, check the websites at some schools you are interested in to see what they say about the topic. Otherwise, be prepared to have some opportunities limited in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
You should take the pre-reqs and upper level science courses you have remaining at a university.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the rigor of the community college course. My fear is that a 2 year school general chemistry course might not be as rigorous as a 4 year school putting you at a huge disadvantage for upper level chemistry courses including organic chemistry.

Reactions: 1 users
With that said, I do not recommend splitting up course series either as the topics can change. Unless you retake chem I at a 4 year school, I would continue the plan to finish Chem II where you are.

Edited: To clarify, I meant topic order and presentation could change producing gaps in content if you switch programs mid way through the sequence.

Last edited:
With that said, I do not recommend splitting up course series either as the topics can change. Unless you retake chem I at a 4 year school, I would continue the plan to finish Chem II where you are.
thats what i was worrying about. So finish chem 2 and start orgo at a uni?

thats what i was worrying about. So finish chem 2 and start orgo at a uni?
If it were me, I’d retake CHEM 101 at the 4 year school and then then complete the regular chemistry sequence there. I would not retake intro biology, but I’d see if a professor would let you sit in on intro bio I (cell, genetics, and bio chem) w/o a formal audit. I’d take an upper level cell biology, genetics, and molecular biology classes at the four year school. I’d knock math out at the CC. Save physics for the four year if you haven’t taken it. If you have, no worries as long as you do well on MCAT physics practice questions.

Last edited:
If it were me, I’d retake CHEM 101 at the 4 year school and then then complete the regular chemistry sequence there. I would not retake intro biology, but I’d see if a professor would let you sit in on it w/o a formal audit. I’d take cell biology, genetics, and molecular biology two at the four year school. I’d knock math out at the CC. Save physics for the four year if you haven’t taken it. If you have, no worries as long as you do well on MCAT physics practice questions.
I feel like I would have to graduate late if I retook my chem class, is it going to have that much of an impact if i dont? or are u saying i should retake it because upperlevel classes might be too hard for me at uni later on?

I feel like I would have to graduate late if I retook my chem class, is it going to have that much of an impact if i dont? or are u saying i should retake it because upperlevel classes might be too hard for me at uni later on?
I took gen chem and physics at CC. A good portion of people at my undergrad did as well because we wanted to take it over summer. As long as you take most of your classes and upper levels like biochem at uni, you should be fine. I would also take non required upper levels like anatomy and physiology, cell bio/mol cell, genetics etc at 4 year if you’re worried about looking like you can handle rigorous sciences or not.

Depending on the potential difference in rigor, you may perform poorly in organic chemistry especially if you don’t have a solid general chemistry foundation. Find some old ACS general chemistry exams and see how well you have mastered the material. My instinct is to retake and delay graduation.

You don't need to take Calculus, but almost all med schools want you to take Statistics or Biostatistics. Be sure it's from the Math or Statistics department of the college.

You don't need to take Calculus, but almost all med schools want you to take Statistics or Biostatistics. Be sure it's from the Math or Statistics department of the college.
It depends on the school and program. Some schools do want to see a semester or two of calculus.

I agree biostatistics is a good recommendation for a course to take.

Don’t take any pre-reqs at a CC. It will be neutral at best, but is definitely going to close the door at many schools. You want to have all of the pre-reqs to apply to any school in the country in 3-4 years. This **** is too competitive to start knocking schools out of the running before you even take orgo.

Stats >>> calculus for actual medical school and doctoring knowledge, but still take calculus 1 because 1) I am a nerd and I think at least understanding derivatives and to a lesser extent integrals is important 2) some schools require it or “recommend” it and see above about how you should not rule out any school this early

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't retake anything, but try to take the rest of your science/pre-reqs only at your university.

should i finish the second gen chem at my CC?

I would honestly just try to take whatever courses are left at the university. If that isn't a possibility and you must take it at a CC, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

I would honestly just try to take whatever courses are left at the university. If that isn't a possibility and you must take it at a CC, then you gotta do what you gotta do.
i just dont know if it would be hard to transition from gen chem 1 at a CC to gen chem 2 at a university. also, I would be a semester behind if i didnt take it during the summer, so im not completely sure on what to do.

i just dont know if it would be hard to transition from gen chem 1 at a CC to gen chem 2 at a university. also, I would be a semester behind if i didnt take it during the summer, so im not completely sure on what to do.

If it really throws off your graduation plans that much, then take it at the CC. But make sure to take upper level science courses and do well in them at the university (such as orgo, biochem, upper level bio etc.) And then ultimately when you're ready make sure to double check regarding the medical school pre-req requirements.

If it really throws off your graduation plans that much, then take it at the CC. But make sure to take upper level science courses and do well in them at the university (such as orgo, biochem, upper level bio etc.) And then ultimately when you're ready make sure to double check regarding the medical school pre-req requirements.
Gotcha, I appreciate your help. As a freshman, is it too early to make a school list so I can match their requirements when it comes to cc credits or EC's?

Gotcha, I appreciate your help. As a freshman, is it too early to make a school list so I can match their requirements when it comes to cc credits or EC's?

Yeah too early, just focus on doing well in your classes and MCAT, and get some clinical experience throughout the years.

I went to community college for 2 years and did most of my prereqs there. When I transferred to a 4-yr university I took more upper science classes. As of now I've had 3 II, hopefully they can turn into an A.

I went to community college for 2 years and did most of my prereqs there. When I transferred to a 4-yr university I took more upper science classes. As of now I've had 3 II, hopefully they can turn into an A.
Mind if i ask what schools? I want to make a list that accepts CC credits for when i apply down the road in like 2-3 years