Is my study technique adequate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It recently came to my attention that I might be not studying efficiently. I want to outline my method and open it for critique and changes. Please include your method.

1) Attend a lecture, take notes on bottom of slides in my own words to clarify points, summarize. (1 hour)
2) Take lectures and summaries and on about 3-5 pieces of paper draw with charts, pictures, different colors, notes, etc. (2 hour)
3)Read through it 3 times before the test, spread out. Try to recite and redraw during three sessions (30 minutes, 30 minutes, 25 minutes).
4) Read again the day before test. If any snags, write it out until it is down pat (usually 2o minutes).

I feel like I'm missing some vital secret or method. I can't tell if I'm just inefficient or not as smart as classmates. People are always so vague when I ask how they study.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Don't attend lecture if you can. I don't and although I wake up late occasionally (10AM), watching lectures at 1.5-2.0x is so much more efficient. You may still take an hour watching at 2x for an hour lecture, but you're probably retaining information a lot better since you're probably taking notes or replaying the video. Quantity does not make up for quality for studying. I would study less for anatomy or histo lab than I would for physio since visuals were my strengths and concepts were my weaknesses. Doesn't mean I'm super smart in anatomy.

2. Did you figure out what learner you are? I'm visual>kinesthetic>auditory. Pictures and video do wonders for me. I still have to see it multiple times, but it's way better than auditory learning. Listening to someone read off of a slide doesn't make it stick for me. Figure out what you are and work on it.

3. I used to handwrite notes, but then I switched to typing. Handwriting stuff down was way too slow for me. I also can't Control/Command+F my notes.. Took me a bit to get used to though and I may still be getting used to it now.

4. Spaced repetition is your friend. Look into Anki maybe and if you do, get the Image Occlusion add-on. Only downside is it takes a bit of time to make the notecards, but if you're making those notes anyway, might as well be electronic so you can search through it a bit better.

5. Most people forget everything (well at least I do) after the exam. But if I reviewed the material for a 2nd pass, I'd prob learn it faster and in more detail.

6. Who cares about classmates. Just worry about yourself, which I know is tough. Work on your own knowledge base.

7. If you have old exam questions or practice questions, DO THEM. Fastest way to learn in my opinion. You'll be surprised at how much you actually don't know until you try and do practice questions.

To me, it just sounds like you're being a bit inefficient. You're a hard worker though, so keep at it.

Reactions: 1 user
You really just have to experiment and find out what works best for you.

I've been doing very well in my classes and this method has worked best for me:
-I don't go to class.
-I review and study the material before watching the lectures at 2.0x the speed.
-I review each lecture 3-5 times before the exam.

I think one of the most important aspects in doing well is making sure you're studying and focusing on material you don't know as well.
Also, never compare yourself to others. Have confidence in yourself and trust yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to class (mostly). I pay attention (mostly).

I read through the material in notability and highlight everything thats important. The highlighting is important because it turns it into more of an ACTIVE process. I will repeat certain things in my head, trying to fortify connections as I go. Frequently I will stand up and walk around mulling over more complex definitions, words or concepts.

I have quizlets for every lecture that I have access to that I go over for some subjects. Sometimes for more complex pathways

I think the key here is that I make it an active process. As long as you integrate some sort of active learning in your "reading" so its not just you passively reading things- you should be ok.

It recently came to my attention that I might be not studying efficiently. I want to outline my method and open it for critique and changes. Please include your method.

1) Attend a lecture, take notes on bottom of slides in my own words to clarify points, summarize. (1 hour)
2) Take lectures and summaries and on about 3-5 pieces of paper draw with charts, pictures, different colors, notes, etc. (2 hour)
3)Read through it 3 times before the test, spread out. Try to recite and redraw during three sessions (30 minutes, 30 minutes, 25 minutes).
4) Read again the day before test. If any snags, write it out until it is down pat (usually 2o minutes).

I feel like I'm missing some vital secret or method. I can't tell if I'm just inefficient or not as smart as classmates. People are always so vague when I ask how they study.

You should do some practice questions for some active learning. You can figure out which kinds of questions you missed or which concepts you need to solidify.

I second the idea of practice questions. Your method is really just blunt memorization and it is easier to apply and recall things when you do practice questions

1. Don't attend lecture if you can. I don't and although I wake up late occasionally (10AM), watching lectures at 1.5-2.0x is so much more efficient. You may still take an hour watching at 2x for an hour lecture, but you're probably retaining information a lot better since you're probably taking notes or replaying the video. Quantity does not make up for quality for studying. I would study less for anatomy or histo lab than I would for physio since visuals were my strengths and concepts were my weaknesses. Doesn't mean I'm super smart in anatomy.

2. Did you figure out what learner you are? I'm visual>kinesthetic>auditory. Pictures and video do wonders for me. I still have to see it multiple times, but it's way better than auditory learning. Listening to someone read off of a slide doesn't make it stick for me. Figure out what you are and work on it.

3. I used to handwrite notes, but then I switched to typing. Handwriting stuff down was way too slow for me. I also can't Control/Command+F my notes.. Took me a bit to get used to though and I may still be getting used to it now.

4. Spaced repetition is your friend. Look into Anki maybe and if you do, get the Image Occlusion add-on. Only downside is it takes a bit of time to make the notecards, but if you're making those notes anyway, might as well be electronic so you can search through it a bit better.

5. Most people forget everything (well at least I do) after the exam. But if I reviewed the material for a 2nd pass, I'd prob learn it faster and in more detail.

6. Who cares about classmates. Just worry about yourself, which I know is tough. Work on your own knowledge base.

7. If you have old exam questions or practice questions, DO THEM. Fastest way to learn in my opinion. You'll be surprised at how much you actually don't know until you try and do practice questions.

To me, it just sounds like you're being a bit inefficient. You're a hard worker though, so keep at it.

Woah I didn't know that was a thing. You just saved me so much time. Thanks!

Are you scoring what you want to? If so then keep doing what you're doing. If not, try some of the stuff people above have posted, there's some good info in there.

I can also verify anki. Here was my method:

It will be impossible to keep up with all of the reviews after your block exams from previous subjects. During the block, however, make cards for each lecture, do the cards and review at least once and keep up with the reviews for that block. Once a new block hits make new cards and study those for that block. I solely did this technique and did pretty well in my classes for first year.

Once second year hits and you begin preparing for boards download an anki deck called brosencephalon (or USMLERx2016) both found via google search query "USMLE anki deck." Do 100 cards a day and keep up with the reviews every day, for every section. This will help you not cram and dump like you did all of first year. It doesn't sound like much but it will take you at least 3 hours a day to get through all the new cards and review as they start to pile up. After you do that task for the day then you can then worry about your classes for first semester (or not). For second semester same thing, but no class work at all unless you absolutely have to focus on the material to pass (i.e. can't scrape a pass by board prep alone), this is because you will want to start going through Uworld, pathoma, etc (if you haven't already since first semester).

don't fix what ain't broken. if you are fine with your current score, there is no need for bold experimentation.

For those of you who skip class regularly, about how long into med school did it take for you to start skipping?

As someone who in undergrad went to class religiously, im trying to wrap my head around this concept lol. I feel like theres something to be said about at least getting to know your prof/see if they give out any hints in lecture, then start skipping. I definitely see the benefits of skipping class with recorded lectures, just curious as to when y'all stopped attending class. Is this something you realized you needed to do ASAP or eventually decided to stop going?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

trust me, i was as big of a class going advocate as anyone from the start, but lecture just didn't work for me after a while. my absorption from lecture is around 75% when i'm paying attention, and maybe 95% on video recordings, with either method consuming an equal to comparable amount of time/effort. sometimes i don't even watch the lectures and just go straight to reading slides so i can start writing my jottings with a tablet pen.

I stopped going to class midway through my second quarter of first year.

For those of you who skip class regularly, about how long into med school did it take for you to start skipping?

As someone who in undergrad went to class religiously, im trying to wrap my head around this concept lol. I feel like theres something to be said about at least getting to know your prof/see if they give out any hints in lecture, then start skipping. I definitely see the benefits of skipping class with recorded lectures, just curious as to when y'all stopped attending class. Is this something you realized you needed to do ASAP or eventually decided to stop going?

Reactions: 1 users

I went for most of first year, then second year hit and our school has an additional course called Clinical Medicine, on top of path and pharm, which is essentially stuff you'd prepare for COMLEX/step 2, mixed with COMLEX/step 1. Wayyyy too much info for second year when all you're really concerned about is passing class and your first set of boards.

I know I posted a length study strategy above, but whatever works for you try that first. If it doesn't work on your first set of exams then re-evaluate.

Under a week. I skipped class whenever possible in undergrad too. I just don't get anything out of it.

I essentially quiz myself while reading through class notes, looking at ppt to clarify anything. First pass is just reading the ppt and notes, focusing on key points and adding my questions into the notes. Takes between 15 minutes to an hour (thanks anatomy).

The next day I watch the lecture, then read notes and quiz myself. Try to completely understand and memorize most of it. Reference other sources and make diagrams as needed. 1-2 hours.

For anatomy I'll do practice questions and go over the notes again a few days later. Under an hour.
For other classes I just go over the notes for 20 minutes or so.

I wind up with a good grasp of everything and only need to memorize a little bit more come exam time. Took a bit of tinkering but since break I've had good results and more free time

Find what works for you. I went to class for maybe 2-3 weeks, 8AM to 3 or 5PM more or less. I was way too tired after class and eating dinner to study but I was alright for the first couple of weeks. After 2-3 weeks though, my body was physically tired. So I decided to sleep in and watch lectures 2x. Worked out okay since I was still keeping up with the material more or less.
Class retention is again, like 70% for me and watching on video is a lot better obviously since I could pause, digest, resume.
1st semester is HARD basically because you're trying to figure out how to study efficiently WHILE still studying an immense amount of material. I'm in my 2nd semester now, and I know my style, how I can study efficiently (more or less), and I feel like this semester is way easier to manage.
You'll also maybe study differently for each class. For harder classes, it takes me maybe 2 hours to get through a 1 hour lecture because I'm digesting. But for memorizing classes like biochem or something, takes me maybe 30-45 mins for a 1 hour lecture. Again, the ability to pause, digest, and resume is huge.
Just find what works for you and at least google quizzes or tests on if you're a visual and/or kinesthetic and/or auditory learner.
Also, don't "pre-study" cause that'll just be a waste of time. I'm glad I didn't pre-study before starting and just relaxed before my time came.