Is neuralink going to put neurologists out of a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoopdaboop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
this neuralink thing Elon came up with seems impressive. are neurologists done for?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems ludicrous to think it would...might help as a possible treatment option for certain things, but I am sure it will come with its own host of medical complications that neurologists will have to deal with too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
this neuralink thing Elon came up with seems impressive. are neurologists done for?

Are you kidding? Like I cannot tell if this is a serious question or not.

That seems like a comparable claim to "Fusion energy is possible at some point. Are portable generators done for?"

Reactions: 8 users
Are you kidding? Like I cannot tell if this is a serious question or not.

That seems like a comparable claim to "Fusion energy is possible at some point. Are portable generators done for?"

It was a bit tongue in cheek, and TBH, the whole demo with the pigs wasn't all that special. I don't see it doing anything until like 10 years from now.

Reactions: 1 user
Neuralink was initially designed with the intent of basically making people into semi-robots, capable of interacting with devices and communication systems and things like that. The new claim that its purpose is for medical use is kind of, in my opinion, just Elon's way of jumping on the medical bandwagon. He's an idea guy, and this idea may be further developed by neuroscientists, but he doesn't actually know anything about the biological mechanisms behind it. There are many other scientists working on technology like this, ie Neuropace, bio-feedback walking assists, etc. He's better off funding it than actually trying to deduce its potential. Bill Gates funding HIV research doesn't make him a doctor or epidemiologist. And even with an implant in your skull, you're still susceptible to the millions of other health ailments it doesn't aim to treat.

Have you rotated on neurology yet?

If not, please do, and you’ll quickly realize that we will be fine. No dream technology could ever weave through subjective crap we deal with routinely.

Besides, the disconnect between neuroscience and neurology is vast. In fact, the disconnect between technological advancements and medicine as a whole is ocean wide.

Give me an EMR that can help me sift through the crapload of irrelevant data and save countless of wasted hours, and I may entertain the idea that a dream technology is going to put me out of work.

Reactions: 2 users